How much to pay for an SG Standard with a repaired headstock?

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
I'm going to go check out a black 2007 SG Standard that looks to be in decent shape other than a repaired headstock break.

Guy says the previous owner had it repaired about 5 years ago at the local Gibson authorized repair centre. From the photo, it looks much better than many others I've seen.

Used SG Standards seem to have dropped in price the last couple years so I'm not sure on value. With the factory Gibson hard case, what would you consider fair?

break.jpg

Last edited:

Assault Bacon

Reaction score
I can only speak in U.S. dollar terms.

I wouldn't pay more than $600 for it. New SG Standards are $1200 - $1300. Used in excellent shape are $850 - $1000.

In my opinion, some repairs make a guitar stronger than it was when it came off the line; other repairs are an Achilles heel. You're taking the risk.

Diocletian

Reaction score
I'm really not sure about this question. SG Standards seem to be really cheap now - which is why I bought 3 in the last 6 months, including one with a headstock break.
I bought a 1999 SG in decent condition with the hard case for £500. Then I saw a nice one with a repaired headstock break and a case and I told him to take his aftermarket pickups out and got it for, IIRC, £420. I thought that was a decent deal but if it had the pickups in it would have still been close to £500!
Thing is, if you can get a Gibson SG Standard WITH hardcase for £450-odd how much lower can you go? You're getting into Epiphone territory there.

If I was you I'd see how much you like the guitar. If you love it, shave $70-50 off the going price of a used SG and see if they go for it. If you don't like it that much, just leave it.

Diocletian

Reaction score
Also, that looks a decent repair but I'm not so sure a Gibson authorised repair shop did it. It looks like they didn't bother refinishing it properly, it's still got all the sanding marks. I repaired a broken headstock like that myself once simply by gluing it shut and it looked better than that.

gball

Reaction score
It'd take a LOT more than $70 to get me to take a guitar with a busted headstock.
Same here. That's not a particularly well done repair. I'm with Bacon, $600, maybe $650 if it blew my mind when I played it.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Same here. That's not a particularly well done repair.
I dunno... Didn't look too bad to me other than not touching up the finish. :dunno:

The guy's asking price works out to about $475 US or £360. Seems pretty firm but he's had it posted for at least a couple weeks, so who knows...

bblooz

Reaction score
I'm seeing intact used SG Std selling for 7-800 $US locally. My general rule of thumb is 40% discount for a headstock repair, so about $450-500, assuming a decent repair and everything else is up to snuff. I've snagged a few LP Studios with decent repairs in that price range lately, and I feel they're good bargains on "player grade" instruments. You just have to remember that if you need to sell somewhere down the line, you'll be the one trying to explain and overcome the stigma of that repair. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Just tried it out. Repair was solid and well done. It was clean break that didn't go all the way through so it was a "glue it, close it, clamp it" fix. Overall good shape for an all black guitar (the usual scuffs and swirls).

Thing is, the guitar did absolutely nothing for me.

So the guy was asking $600 Canadian ($475 US). I said "you seemed pretty set on your price in the ad, so for what I'd want to pay, I think I'll just pass on it". He asked what I'd offer and after telling him why, I said I wouldn't want to be in it for more than $500 ($400 US). He countered at $525 and I passed. He left and then texted me a few minutes later and said "ok 500$ lets do it". I said "Thanks, but I'll pass for now". He sent a snippy text about how I cost him $20 in gas and it's the last time he'll do a trip for someone. BTW, I contacted him and arranged to leave work early to go see it (he's 20 minutes out of town). He said since he had to come into town for his evening shift, he'd meet me.

I know at $400 US, I should have taken it anyway but this just reminded me how much I really don't care for black Gibsons. If it were any other color SG, I might have even paid his full asking price. As it was, all I would have done was cleaned it up and put it in the Member Classifieds here.

Reactions: Who

mdubya

Reaction score
$475 US? I'd grab it at that price.

mdubya

Reaction score
I got him down to $400 US and still passed.
I can understand not being turned on by a black SG. I have had one for 25+ years and would probably never buy another opaque black guitar. Mine isn't going anywhere, but one is enough. :p

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
That's a great deal for somebody.
I agree. Just not for me.

Old me would have snapped that up and it would already be for sale here for $499.
New me ain't got time for that.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
I'd probably snag it for $400.
And then paint it.
Funny you mention that.
That's the only reason I even considered it. I'm currently looking at a 2017 Pelham Blue SG and I thought about buying and painting this one. I mean, the resale value's already shot anyway. The big pick guard killed that idea.

Biddlin

Reaction score
brokenheadstockdetail.jpg

My best playing SG has a headstock repair, but not nearly as rough looking as that one. I would have taken it @$400, but I would have to smooth out and touch up that repair.

Last edited:

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
View attachment 255642
My best playing SG has a headstock repair, but not nearly as rough looking as that one. I would have taken it @$400, but I would have smooth out and touch up that repair.
Funny thing is, it would be so easy to touch up a repair on a black guitar. And it really wasn't bad at all. It looks much worse in the picture. Wouldn't have taken much to finish the job.

Latest Threads