How much should I pay for this '08 Standard w/ broken headstock?

drock5000

Reaction score
Hello! So a local luthier (and a great one) is looking to sell an '08 Gibson Les Paul Standard with a broken headstock. It also has a repair on the top of the body by the fretboard - see pic. This guitar has taken a beating, but man does it play and sound great. So, what should I offer him for it? Trying to think of a fair price for both of us - he did all the repair work. Thanks

Attachments

judson

Reaction score
i would have to agree with the $1400 or less as qman posted...push him hard to $1200 or at least start there.

if you played it and it feels and sounds great even after it looks like it got hit by a truck....get it

act like the repair worries you

i own 4 repaired necks and they are all players that i got a huge discount on

the first one cured my fear of neck repairs....in fact i repaired the last one and it was quite simple

jump on it...looks are secondary but big discounts for players make it worth evey nickle somedays :dude:

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
If pristine, that guitar realistically sells here for about $2K. That thing is messed up and the repair isn’t exactly beautiful. I wouldn’t pay any more than 1,200 for it and then only if it plays and sounds great.

judson

Reaction score
That’s not just a broken headstock. $800 tops
that is a good point and it does look like the heel/neck got some punishment in addition to the top portion of the neck.

the positive side is you met the luthier that repaired it, touched it, played it and it feels and sounds great to you so there is no mystery left for you to understand.

and you know who to bring it back to if that changes.

the resale IF you ever want to move it out....sure it will be affected but if you thought of that for everything you buy, you will miss some opportunities......unless your goal was to flip it to someone...

grumphh

Reaction score
"Great luthier" :lol:

...i'd really hate to see the work of a bad luthier if that is the standard for "great" where you live...

moreles

Reaction score
Sounds likje you're trying to justofy overpaying. That's a common guitar and it has two areas of considerable damage. I don't see anything particularly good about the repairs -- just looks like a clean glue job, which requires no special skill. That's a 12-1400 guitar where I live, and IMO not even a bargain at $1200 though for someone who really wants a LP and has limited funds, it makes sense at that price. I only buy guitars that I know I can resell later, if I want, at no loss, or a profit, and I have no trouble (since I'm patient) maintaining that result because if you taske your time, you'll find loads and loads of good guitars to choose from. IMO, that particular LP is much better than no LP at all, but that's as far as I'd go.

Latest Threads