how much off on a NOS R9 historic w/o case candies/coa?

diogoguitar

Reaction score
There is an R9 I found on the market that is being sold by the original dealer.

Dealer is already asking a discounted price of $5,000 (off from $6,500). Here are the facts
  1. He is an authorized dealer
  2. Serial reads it's a 2016 model (i.e. has it been sitting for 5 years?)
  3. Top isn't the best looking, but it's not ugly (some Gibson usa look better tbh). Think of it as a nicer looking R8
  4. No COA
  5. A gibson usa case (won't come with its original case)
I only imagine a buyer getting this guitar for the historic specs (long neck tenon, hide glue etc etc.) and its somewhat lighter weight

This guitar has been sitting for a while for $5k. It already has 10 offers on the clock but no bites.

How much you guys think this will sell for? I'd like to send an offer, but I don't want to overpay.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
forget 5 g's ... without original case too ? ... not even close .. walk away .. fast .. much better pickin's out there ...

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I think you lefties always end up paying a bit more, so maybe $4,000 - $4,250. I like that top a lot.

Mark's Guitar Loft sells 2020s for $550 more than what you're looking at. Why don't you see if he can land you a lefty?

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Mark's Guitar Loft sells 2020s for $550 more than what you're looking at. Why don't you see if he can land you a lefty?
That's the first time I hear someone actively talking about this site. Is he a gibson trader like Trogly's ?

guitardon

Reaction score
Definitely far less than 5k. Maybe 3k would be better. Just remember when you sell it, it’ll come back to haunt you when buyers ask about COA. If you want to spend 5k go to Marks Guitar Loft. He has great stuff in that price range. With Mark you’ll know what you’re getting. He has great pictures too.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
That's the first time I hear someone actively talking about this site. Is he a gibson trader like Trogly's ?
Please don't compare Mark to that guy. :laugh2:

Mark is one of the fairest and most honest dealers there is. Unauthorized dealer. Any new guitars he sells are 'as new' and do not have a warranty but he doesn't sell just anything.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The hardest part is finding the Lefties to even see, never mind play. That give this dealer a leg up.

The case is non issue. It is $200 spread - $200 retail on the USA, $400 for a CS one. The dealer can get onr from Gibson.

The missing COA? Only you can put your number on it. Me $500 / 10%.

Last edited:

toymaker

Reaction score
A. Its a lefty. Eliminates 90% of the market right there

B. Its missing the COA/OHSC - now that you've lost 90% of the market...you then lose more than half of the remainder

C. You now find yourself looking at a market of what - 3 or 4 buyers at any given time?

My question isn't where is the COA/Case - its where are these 10 suckers and how desperate are they to own a guitar ?!?

I mean granted lefty models are very uncommon...so its not as if serious buyers can be picky as to the used market - but at the same time ANYONE can call up an authorized dealer, order a current model R8 in their choice of color and expect to pay near the ask price.

Yes - this one has a 9 on the back. That's the difference between a new 2020 R8 and this 2016 R9 at their cores. Of course the R8 comes with paperwork and a correct case.

What's it worth as it sits - thats a tough one. With few buyers, the seller is likely going to hold out for as much as possible. If they bought this new from Gibson - lost the case/papers while the guitar was on the wall....well they are into the guitar about their ask price....probably trying to squeeze a few hundred profit/negotiation room. Their play is likely to simply let it sits till it sells and they don't lose a penny.

Is it WORTH 5k...not to me. If i was a dealer/seller having to move the item - I'd suggest a price of between 3-3500.....at that price sells on impulse. Someone feels they are getting a bargain and will jump quickly for fear of missing out on the deal of the decade.

Of course when your into something for 4700 and new sells for 6800...its easy to stand firm at 5 and wait. You don't have alot to sell - just 1....so you don't need to find alot of suckers...just the right one.

Personally - I'd go the new R8 route - but if this one speaks to you in some way - remember its only money and resale never matters if you never resell. I mean the way MSRP is climbing- 5k might be a bargain in 2024...

fretboarder

Reaction score
Its got the worst top ive ever seen for a lefty.. no case or coa let them keep it..

Latest Threads