How Much Is a COA Worth?

none2low

Reaction score
Would you buy a 2006 R4 Oxblood / Jeff Beck that doesn't have the COA (if the price was right)?
You can't play the cert. So yes, I would absolutely buy without the COA if it ticked all my boxes.

1allspub

Reaction score
I would buy a CS guitar that was missing its COA. And in fact, I have. My 2010 LPC Silverburst does not have its COA. It was a recording and touring guitar for Kevin Skaff (the lead guitarist of A Day to Remember) back when it was new and that stuff just all got lost in process (along with the original pickups, original wiring harness, and even the original bridge, HA!)

On a newer RI it might bother me somewhat. But if I liked/wanted the guitar, the lack of a COA would not stop me from buying it. I might use it as negotiating leverage, but if the seller was firm and I still liked/wanted the guitar, oh well.

efstop

I render not the posterior of a rodent
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My NOS ES-235 came with the wrong COA and checklist. The retailer seemed to be at a loss to figure how to track it down (they even filled out my bill of sale based on the case candy instead of the actual serial number.) I emailed them with the serial and they issued a corrected bill of sale. That's way more important than a COA.
My used 235 has the correct COA and checklist.

For these guitars I'm not sure the case docs have any value at all.

GT40

Reaction score
My last Gibson "COA" had the picture of a signature of someone who had not worked at the custom shop for several months at the time my guitar was made. Rick someone or other, there were threads here about him quitting. Real proof of authenticity there LOL.

I lost the COA that came with my fender at some point in my travels and I tossed the Gibson ones because I don't see any value in them. They're just clutter to add to the pile. I'd rather get the muti-tool that comes with USA models than the stupid crap the custom shop sticks In the case pocket tbh.

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
I’m sure that all the touring musicians with loads of guitars like Bonamassa worry about COA’s, yeah right! They would probably laugh in your face if you brought it up. Mostly the collector types get bent out of shape about COA’s and case candy! I’ll take it if it’s included but I’m not going to let it hold up the sale of a great instrument. In fact, I recently purchased a “57” Reissue Les Paul BB triple pickup that had no COA. COA be damned, what an amazing guitar! How could you pass this up?

1653521153623.jpeg

Last edited:

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m sure that all .......Mostly the collector types get bent out of shape about COA’s and case candy!.....?

The Collector types are large driving force in the market.

If they are passing on a guitar due to lack of a COA, it lowers it's market value. Simple supply and demand, less demand the lower the price.

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My last Gibson "COA" had the picture of a signature of someone who had not worked at the custom shop for several months at the time my guitar was made. Rick someone or other, there were threads here about him quitting. Real proof of authenticity there LOL.

Rick Gembar, Gibson's Head at Custom. Remembers your guitar, and sys hi !

mjross

Reaction score

If they are passing on a guitar due to lack of a COA, it lowers it's market value. Simple supply and demand, less demand the lower the price.
Don’t know if I agree with this, just my opinion! I’m a collector and I don’t pass up a great guitar because of a missing COA. Many of the early Gibsons didn’t even have COA’s.

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you sell a Custom Shop guitar without a COA,.... Tell them the price is without the COA,.... if they want the COA,... tell them that will be a $500 up charge. Most will choose the former.

:laugh2:

none2low

Reaction score

This is true, assuming that there are no other buyers. Which is rarely the case.

My opinion is that too much value is placed on COA's. If I'm buying, I'm buying the guitar, not the COA, so to me they add little to no value. But I can appreciate that others place a higher hypothetical value on having the full package which includes all the original case candy and paperwork.

mdubya

Reaction score
Value is somewhere between a guitar with a COA and a guitar with a good headstock repair.

Those arguing that it does not affect value are obviously holding Historics and Custom Shop guitars with missing COAs. :p

Just like every "upgrade" that does not include the original equipment diminishes value.

"Upgrades include removing the COA." :eek2:

none2low

Reaction score
Those arguing that it does not affect value are obviously holding Historics and Custom Shop guitars with missing COAs. :p
Ok, I'll concede. I own a few historics that lack their COA's.

However, since they are worth more today than when I purchased them originally all is good in the universe.:applause:

Besides once Gibson comes out with the next itineration of the more historically accurate than the last any value of the previous itineration's COA is lost :rofl::rofl::rofl:

mjross

Reaction score
Value is somewhere between a guitar with a COA and a guitar with a good headstock repair.

Just like every "upgrade" that does not include the original equipment diminishes value.

"Upgrades include removing the COA." :eek2:
I’ll tell you this, IF I sell the price is the same COA or no COA! If you don’t like the fact that there is no COA, move along! There’s ALWAYS a buyer, might not be a cork sniffer but there’s always a buyer.

EasyAce

Reaction score
How much is it worth...not much. Very few buyers ever do anything with the COA. Most just leave it in the case - a few frame them though I guess.
I have two reissues (R6, R9) with no intention of selling them, but I keep the COAs in a file folder in my desk.
It doesn't effect value of the guitar- it DOES cut down on marketability/number of buyers (especially in an internet sales setting) due to authenticity concerns (for whatever reason - knock offs are too lazy to fake COAs).
That would seem the single most important reason to keep the COA at least, the authenticity concern. The counterfeiters haven't surrendered yet.

mjross

Reaction score
I have two reissues (R6, R9) with no intention of selling them, but I keep the COAs in a file folder in my desk.

That would seem the single most important reason to keep the COA at least, the authenticity concern. The counterfeiters haven't surrendered yet.
I hear what you are saying and I do get it. However, it’s best to know what you are buying and have a complete understanding of the subject matter, COA or no COA. Counterfeit COA’s are probably next!

Latest Threads