How Much Is a COA Worth?

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So many of you guys wouldn't buy a secondhand Custom Shop Reissue LP from 1993 -'98 that came without a COA ?
Hmmmmmmm, . . . .
More due diligence is a must right up to 2001 - need to know the specs for sure.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
So many of you guys wouldn't buy a secondhand Custom Shop Reissue LP from 1993 -'98 that came without a COA ?
Hmmmmmmm, . . . .
No, many of us guys wouldn't pay as much as you!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the thing is they are available as easily as a click on ebay to get one. so in that respect there is no value to it. If guitar was right I now, wouldn't care one bit about a missing COA.

mjross

Reaction score
So many of you guys wouldn't buy a secondhand Custom Shop Reissue LP from 1993 -'98 that originally came without a COA ?
Hmmmmmmm, . . . .
Hmmmmmmm.........

guitardon

Reaction score
Did the original “59” have a COA? Hmmmmm......
You can’t compare 59 to today. Back then would have to look hard just to find one to look at. They were a couple hundred bucks, there were no forgeries and Gibson had a hard time selling them so they were discontinued. Today is a whole different world. Gibson is making thousands of them at much higher prices, there are some people making frauds that look authentic. You can’t be sure it’s real without the COA. Personally with so many used ones for sale I wouldn’t settle for something that has a question mark when there are so many others to chose from. IMHO

none2low

Reaction score
I have yet to see a fake CS Reissue that is convincing. Not saying they couldn't exist, but I've yet to see one. And high end replicas are a whole different ball of wax and typically sold as what they are at a premium.

Torshalla

Reaction score
I would imagine it would be easier to fake a COA than to fake a good re issue... otherwise fakes would be that good they may actually be worth buying haha

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see a fake CS Reissue that is convincing. Not saying they couldn't exist, but I've yet to see one. And high end replicas are a whole different ball of wax and typically sold as what they are at a premium.
Where's the line between Fake and Replica ?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know the numbers on instruments, but according to the FBI's fraud folks, with sports memorabilia, having a COA cuts the chance it's a fake down to about 85%...........

Peter

none2low

Reaction score
Where's the line between Fake and Replica ?
I believe the census on where guitars like max, derrig, et al is pretty well established.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is trying to pass true high end builds off as CS Reissues, are they?

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I believe the census on where guitars like max, derrig, et al is pretty well established.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is trying to pass true high end builds off as CS Reissues, are they?
The forgery market is alive and well.... Keep your guard up.

FloridaSam

Reaction score
I couldn't care less about the COA.... But my R0, they "lost" the paperwork. The guitar was new from an authorized dealer, I got $1,500.00 off. The guitar itself was perfect in every way. I jumped on the deal. Guess what? I love the guitar and don't miss the COA at all.

FloridaSam

Reaction score
To you point about verification by Gibson, I contacted Jon Sutherland at Gibson customer service who says he can verify via email with the guitar's serial number and "detailed picturess". Gibson won't provide a replacement COA, but will reply via email confirming the guitar's authenticity.
That's what I did, just to have it. I put more faith in an email than an easily faked COA. They verified it's birthday, original reseller and all specs.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I couldn't care less about the COA.... But my R0, they "lost" the paperwork. The guitar was new from an authorized dealer, I got $1,500.00 off. The guitar itself was perfect in every way. I jumped on the deal. Guess what? I love the guitar and don't miss the COA at all.
$1500 off for no COA isn't bad!

uncle mud

Reaction score
When I buy a guitar on line I know I might not like it, and a coa makes it easier to sell. If I could play the guitar first and loved it, I could live without the coa.

Latest Threads