How much does your Norlin weigh?

71gibby

Reaction score
how does the serial number identify it as a 71?

all of those other features were present for multiple years....volutes varied in size all the time.
True. I can’t definitively say. Serial number is six digit and starts with 6 which could be 1971 or other years as I understand that serial numbers can’t be relied on. I have a 74 custom that has a way bigger volute and have seen mid 70’s deluxes with bigger volutes.
I’ve read that volutes started small and got bigger.

But I’m here to learn so any info appreciated

71gibby

Reaction score
…..it’s also got a very thin neck which from what I’ve read is common on early 70’s Lea pauls

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Why don’t you take some really good pictures of the entire guitar, including the pick up routes and the back cavities?

That headstock looks very narrow to me, I just wonder if it may be a little earlier?

grumphh

Reaction score
what do you guys think of the refin? Should I anti up the bucks and bring it back to a gold top?
Personally i think you should just leave the finish as is...
That burst is a nice finish (and personally i think nicer than goldtop) and you are never going to get the exact old goldtop colour anyway, so since it is already totally refinished why bother?

Unless of course you don't like the current finish, in that case do what you feel like. Unoriginal finish + your guitar, have at it :yesway:
I'd probably have a new finish done in a stylish 70's metalflake if it were me :cool2:

Latest Threads