How much does your Norlin weigh?

LPPILOT

Reaction score
Come on post those RD artist weights and those LPC from 78-79 with maple frerboards ....whoo whee ....i think they poured lead into those bodies ....i remember them bending the metal hangers at the music stores , pegboards about to pull the anchors out of the wall. Hand one of those puppies to a 10 year old taking lessons ....kid could not hold the guitar and stand up out of a chair . Only the heaviest wood would do for Gibson customers in the mid late 70's . Did Gibson buy the heaviest wood they could find then. Oh....they ll never know till all their backs start giving out ....

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I have never owned a weight that actually was intended to be accurate in the weight range of LP's - and i most certainly am not going to drag out my guitars to grocers or whoever might have a reasonably precise weight.

So i can only guess.
My '71 Deluxe is probably around 12 lbs
and my '79 LPC is probably around 16 lbs.

This is going by feel only - no weights involved...
....and everybody knows that Norlins are heavy, so let's give them figures they are going to like :D
A UPS store was happy to let me borrow the scale. :dunno:

I now have a digital kitchen scale that seems quite accurate up to 11 pounds.

lawrev

Reaction score
Nice! That would be a very very light Norlin standard! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Yup. Heavy by today's standards, light by Norlin standards. :) Just feels more substantial than any current Junior or Special that I've owned.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
1597626165009.png

Well what do you know ... with speed knobs (instead of bells) and a pickup cover it is slightly heavier and seems to largely agree with the UPS Store scale...

This is a $20 Walmart scale.

The pickups are now ReWind PAF-1s.

IMG0352s.jpg

For the rest of the world:

IMG0358s.jpg

Last edited:

Breakrite

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My original Les Paul Pro was a 1978 identical to the 1980. It was a boat anchor too. Loved it, but sold it mid 80’s. Always regretted so I eventually found this one to replace it. Takes a wider strap for sure.
I owned one of those. Never weighed it...sold all of my Norlin Les Pauls. I do remember that it weighed a lot. The super wide leather strap helped somewhat. Also had a Gold Top with P-90s. Loved the tone. The neck not-so-much.

theusualdan

Reaction score
My '71 Custom was 9.4lbs when I weighed it last... It's had tuner, pickups, and hardware swapped since then, but I'd imagine it's still pretty close to that.

lawrev

Reaction score
I just posted the weight of my 1986 Junior in another thread here - today I had it weighed and the UPS scale said 8 pounds 12.8 ounces. Never heard of a Junior weighing nearly 9 pounds.

Latest Threads