How much better would I sound with a Gibson? Plus Another brick solo

rokanrol

Reaction score
Hello! to be honest I just played a Gibson for the first time on a Marshall haze 40, and I couldn't find the difference between that and my epiphone. Im not sure if it Was because of the good quality of the epiphone or the bad quality of the Gibson, or maybe the sound difference is not so relevant as the name tag of the brand.
The Gibson I've tried was a 60s tribute. And here is a video with the sound I get from the epiphone.
Its possible that my ear isn't that developed to recognize the difference

So, does it worth spending 2000 on a Gibson standard that was my goal, or better spending on a different guitar?

JMP

Reaction score
Great playing there. I’d say getting a Gibson isn’t going to be some massive improvement, especially if really enjoy your Epiphone. Some Gibsons will have better fit and finish, but a nice Epiphone that’s set up well won’t exactly inhibit ones playing. I recommend playing a lot and continuing to focus mostly on your abilities and style. Good luck.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
That solo was recorded on a P90 loaded Gold Top. And you can get those from either Gibson or Epi, and be just as happy with either one.
And, I hate to think how long ago I learned that solo.

Walt_T

Reaction score
Keep what you have. You've captured the sound you want. Before I moved to Telecasters, I played a lot of modded Ibanez and Epi LPs. I bought a White Gibson LP Custom in '08, played good, sounded good. Went away when I came across a pristine '72 Super Reverb. Life is good.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
the major difference is the prestige of the gibson name on the headstock.it would hold its value for resale a little better,but spending 2k to have better resale value is counterproductive,if you must have a gibby look for a used one on craigslist or reverb.patience might yield a good enough deal where this move would be worth it.

Reaction score
It's not necessarily about sound. Gibsons are analogous to a fine handcrafted piece of Italian furniture compared to cheaper furniture found at a run-of-the-mill neighborhood furniture store. Like a great sound the furniture can all be equally comfortable but the difference is in the quality of workmanship and the materials ...and grade of materials used.

If you personally don't notice the difference between getting into a Cadillac and getting into a Honda Civic then don't spend the extra money, I'd say.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Such condescension ...
A Cadillac ?
1536592378.4196-smiley.gif

Keep rocking that Epiphone rokanrol ! ! !

Tweaker

Reaction score
Wait you already have the Epi?

No sense spending $2k on a guitar that will do the same things and sound nearly the same, in my opinion. Even though most Epi models use a maple veneer instead of a solid cap, the rest of the wood they use is good wood. A Gibson won't be that much of an improvement, in my mind. The craftsmanship of Epiphone guitars is very good. You'll probably see a lemon here and there, but that's true of Gibson as well.

If you have $2k burning a hole in your pocket, put it towards a tube amp if you don't already have one. (Can't tell from your post if you own the Haze or if you just played through one)

moreles

Reaction score
Well, you're playing them, processed, through the same rig and recording them as well, so I would expect the similarities to show. I have no idea if other settings and uses would reveal differences, both positive and negative, but it usually does. They both sound like Gilmour's Strat, too, so are they identical? And you sound like Gilmour. I guess nothing makes any difference. Sorry if I'm being a jerk, but honestly, what would you expect to hear?

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Nice playing.
You've got the bending down !

You already have a great Epi.

I say, save the cash, go for MORE GEAR.

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
And forget about the thought that Gibson re-sale is so much better than Epi. Check out either EBay or CL and you'll see that Epi's re-sale percentages are actually better, and result in considerable less cash lost than Gibson. I've been watching this for several years now, and it's been quite surprising.

Latest Threads