How much better is a Gibson vs my Epi 1960s Tribute Plus?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Keep us informed after you go play a few and let us know what you think of them.

Last edited:

Dan18

Reaction score
Started looking at the classic specs and looks good except it has 61s for pups and I have those in my SG (which I really like but maybe next set would be slightly darker/heavier pups). So now I have 57s and 61s. But will try everything for feel. Decided feel and playability is what I really want vs particular sound.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Started looking at the classic specs and looks good except it has 61s for pups and I have those in my SG (which I really like but maybe next set would be slightly darker/heavier pups). So now I have 57s and 61s. But will try everything for feel. Decided feel and playability is what I really want vs particular sound.
The Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's comes with a Slim Taper neck and the BB 61's as well, aiming towards that PAF 59-60's Burst tone that everyone loves, so you can't go wrong there with a Classic. Don't forget to also play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60's, so you can compare. We would love to know what you think of the two. Also, the Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60's comes with Probucker 2/3 pickups, very similar to Burstbucker 2/3 pickups. That should give you a different tone than the 61's and 57's you already have.

Last edited:

vivanchenko

Reaction score
"Better" is not the right word. If you want your guitar to sound close to the original Les Pauls then go with a Gibson. If this is not a consideration then a higher end EPI might work for you. Unless you play both guitars through 6 pedals and use a ton of post processing, an EPI will sound distinctly differently, regardless of pickups and hardware.

Last edited:

workerunit

Reaction score
Don't lose your Epi. I have two, just like yours. They do have a cult following and a charm of their own.

Your question is kind of an apple vs. pear question.

A good Epi is a great guitar.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
It's pretty simple really. Just ask yourself if you want a Gibson or an Epiphone. If money's a factor pick up an Epiphone. If money's no object get a Gibson.

j_ambitious

Reaction score
Does a stock Gibson play 4x better than an Epiphone? Probably not.

Does it cost 4x more? Yes.

Is it worth 4x more? Yes.

Is it a better investment? Yes.

Same argument with Squiers/Fenders and Boss Pedals vs Strymons or something else. Though I would way Strymons sound 4x better than Boss pedals.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
FWIW. The same pickups will not sound the same in an SG and an LP. THere are the obvvious differences in body wood, thickness etc. But the distances of the pups to the Bridge, differ. as well, which changes the tone.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
It's pretty simple really. Just ask yourself if you want a Gibson or an Epiphone. If money's a factor pick up an Epiphone. If money's no object get a Gibson.
If you answer "Gibson" to this question, then just get a Gibson and call it a day. There are a lot of 48-month financing options available (especially now), or you can buy a nice "proper" used Les Paul (i.e., body/neck binding, MoP logo, HSC, trap inlays, etc.) for well less than $2K. My recommendation if money is an issue is to get an "open box" but new Les Paul Standard with the 48-month 0% financing. From the first time you plug it in, you will be thinking, "Wow, I should have done this sooner". Gibson Les Pauls are the Truth, and there is no getting around that fact ... ever.

mjross

Reaction score
Don't lose your Epi. I have two, just like yours. They do have a cult following and a charm of their own.

Your question is kind of an apple vs. pear question.

A good Epi is a great guitar.
Maybe apples onions! Lol… I don’t know, Epiphone are great guitars but they are just not Gibson! And that is perfectly OK, they are their own thing! I have a few and dig the shit out of them!

E.T.

Reaction score
Swietenia Macrophylla coated in nitrocellulose for a Gibson vs Shorea / Mora / Toona spp. covered in polyurethane for an Epiphone, all other things (pickups, electronics, tuners) being equal on a high-end model made by the latter. Those two things are ⅓ of the reason Gibsons cost more, another ⅓ is U.S. vs far eastern labour costs, the final ⅓ is brand "pedigree".

motowntom

Reaction score
football-referees-gesturing-fourth-down-short-chain-gang-measuring-yardage-indicating-s-34890949.jpg

Cheer

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, Epiphones are that close to a Gibson, they are just a little bit short. Sure they are not a Gibson, but now they are so close that most can't tell either by playability or by tone.

dro

Reaction score
And a Pinto was almost a Mustang
A Corvair was almost a Corvette
And a Carmen Gia was almost a Speedster
Your Lotto numbers were almost the same as the numbers drawn
And. If you're almost in tune, you're out

msalama

Reaction score
Epis are a great choice for everyday use. And if you've got a good one that's properly set up (and well, yeah, perhaps has had its tuners, PUs and whatnot changed as well, depending), you can go anywhere with it if the headstock logo doesn't bother you overmuch. Yes, they 're that good when they're good!

Gibsons, OTOH, usually have a much better fit, finish and hardware straight out of the box, plus some folks just won't accept anything but nitro. So if these are of concern and you've got the moolah to spare, by all means grab a Gibson. But as regards playability and usability, I still can't fault my Epi for anything in comparison with the old Lester in my avatar, as subtly different as they inherently are. Well yes, the Gibby is "better" if you must, but who cares when they both play, intonate and stay in tune just as well?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
And a Pinto was almost a Mustang
A Corvair was almost a Corvette
And a Carmen Gia was almost a Speedster
Your Lotto numbers were almost the same as the numbers drawn
And. If you're almost in tune, you're out
The Pinto Mustang Stallion is part of the Winner's Circle Horses collection, sounds like a win to me
A Corvair looks nothing like a corvette, not one bit.
A Karmann-Ghia does not look like a Speedster, maybe just a little because of their small size
If you hit 5 lotto numbers without the PB you still win 1 million dollars times the multiplier which is still a big win.
Gibson G-Force is always not in tune and people go on playing there Gibson Guitars.

An Epiphone Les Paul looks almost completely identical to a Gibson Les Paul and it hits all 5 numbers for feel/play and tone, maybe just not the PB, so I still say it's a big win since most people can't tell the difference.

Last edited:

MP4-22

Reaction score
Does a stock Gibson play 4x better than an Epiphone? Probably not.

Does it cost 4x more? Yes.

Is it worth 4x more? Yes.

Is it a better investment? Yes.

Same argument with Squiers/Fenders and Boss Pedals vs Strymons or something else. Though I would way Strymons sound 4x better than Boss pedals.

I’d take a Squier over a Mexican fender…. I was playing cheap Teles and the two squirts I played last blew the MIM teles away. What’s up with MIM fenders ?!? Why can’t they shape a neck…. The edges feel awful and cheap. I played the squiers think they would be worse and I must say that’s a cheap import guitar I would buy….

Latest Threads