How many pounds would you consider *heavy* for a stratocaster?

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
I never knew what the typical strat should weigh. But my question is in your opinion what would you consider heavy? Does a guitar's weight dictate whether or not you'll buy a guitar? And also for those of you that it doesn't deter or had experience with heavy guitars would you say they sound different than those which aren't considered heavy?

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think that 8 pounds is pretty heavy for a Strat, but then if I search online it says that's the average weight? I dunno.
Ditto. To me, right around that 8lb mark is where a guitar (any guitar) feels "a little heavy" when you first pick it up or start to bite into your shoulder after a while on a strap. Obviously, LPs almost always hit that mark and there's still a big different b/w "a little heavy" and the "jesus christ, this must be filled with lead shot" reaction from picking up a 12+ lb Norlin.

It's easy enough to find Fenders well under 8 and, to me, something 8 or more is pretty heavy for a Fender and a little heavy in an absolute sense. I can put up with heavy guitars, but I don't prefer them and I'd pass on an 8+ lb Fender unless the deal was too good to be true and there'd have to be something magical about the way it played and sounded to actually keep it longterm.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Makes a big difference to me. Lots of Les Pauls Standards weigh in for me around 8lb 11oz and I like them. I also have a 1990 Standard that weighs well over 10 lbs, but I forgive it for sentimental reasons (owned from new). Wouldn't buy another that heavy.

But going back to Strats, can't remember what my favourite weighs, but quite possibly 7 lbs region. Doubt very much I own any "more than 8lb" Strats, and I would have to be very taken with everything else about one before buying one. That said, I am a complete sucker for amazing sounding guitars. Just seems I favout the sound as well as the feel of the lighter examples.

Liam

ErictheRed

Reaction score
My R9 is 8 pounds 8 ounces, very light for a non-chambered or weight relieved LP. It feels pretty heavy to me at the end of the night these days, and I'm an in-shape 41 year old. So yeah, a Strat should be under 8 pounds for sure, IMO.

Last edited:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
The Silver anniversary strats weight in a Paulish 10 lbs. or so. That's a "bit" heavy, ya think?
So 7-8 pounds would be the current definition of whatever normal is now.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Hardtail Partscaster with a swamp ash body and a 25 mm fat neck with 1.75" nut:

Scale.jpg

'73 Custom:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
8LBS or more on the chunky side fore a Strat.

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Back in the day Strats, Teles and Les Paul's were all heavy as. And that's how we liked em! I did eventually sell an 1983 Les Paul because of the weight not unusual, come across many heavyweight Fenders, current 1976 Tele is on the light side of middle weight and now, that's how I like em!

mdittman

Reaction score
I have a custom made strat that weighs in at 14 lbs. It's solid cocobolo rosewood, body neck and fretboard. Top that off with it having two humbuckers and a Floyd Rose. VERY solid feeling to play and amazing tone and sustain. By the way, I didn't have it made, I bought it used as is.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
8 pound les Paul is pretty standard to me but a 8 pound strat is pretty heavy. I have a pine tele that's that heavy but it sounds great. In my experience, heavier guitars sound brighter typically than the lighter ones

Telechamp

Reaction score
My 2011 American Standard weighs in at a fairly hefty 8 lb 1 oz. But it's a great Strat, so I just kind of deal with the weight...

Neil(UK)

Reaction score
I don't like a Strat to be over 7.5lb personally.

The half a pound between that and 8lb is really noticeable IMO.

Latest Threads