How Many of You Were Athletes in High School ?

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tennis. I should have also played football though since I am built for it.

Laggspike

Reaction score
i was a recluse in high school.... scared of people, scared of rejection.... i was one of those kids wearing all black with all his favorite deathmetal bands name/logos written on his back pack with white out marker.... i think i looked that way to ward off others as i was scared of talking to people.... i did play indoor soccer for a short while but stopped as i had no one to encourage me at it to continue... the guys that were on my team were shocked i signed up for it as i was "that guy" ... so i was always alone, even if i was surrounded by others.

you aint alone now :)

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was too small, 120 lbs. at graduation. I was pretty good however at doing 12 oz. curls.

I'm glad I never played sports in H.S. because now, at 62, my knees and hip joints are in great shape. I've never had surgery in my life, except for tonsils and wisdom teeth.
And just from football and baseball from age 6-18, then Martial arts and competitive kickboxing afterwards, I have all manner of joint and old injury issues all over.

rvschulz

Reaction score
13 letters in high school - 4 in basketball, baseball, and soccer - one in track. I was 6'0 and 200# - no weight lifting and could dunk. walked on to the college football and baseball teams - quit football after our then division 2 school played Auburn - getting run over at DE by guys who would make a living in the NFL was nuts.

played catcher and had a career BA of .288 in college. knees are never the same. but I won every collision, by sr. year our conference knew not to try to bowl me over, I didn't budge at 230#. LOL. one of my baseball buddies coming over this weekend.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything but swimming. Played all star soccer and baseball outside of school.
Even gymnastics.....I got silver for the one competition I was in.
Held records for triple and long jumps for years at the city school meets.

Pure athlete, no brains.....I failed miserably in academics.

Now, I'm broken and still have no brains. Pretty much useless.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
ran track __ the mile

was a requirement to participate in a sport for a Regents Diploma ( at the time during mid 80s ) , in order to be eligible for any types of scholarships available under the program

to be honest . . I really wanted to play baseball . ( dreamed of it when I was young )
made the mistake one day of racing a friend while doing laps before practice

and got forced onto the track team

Ed B

Reaction score
I only played baseball in HS. Or I should say, for my HS. My favorite sport was hockey and my HS didn't offer it. I played in neighborhood leagues instead. Also played Football and Basketball outside of HS. Martial arts and soccer too, but only when younger or into middle school.

Now I don't play any sports. Teaching my kids the fundamentals is about it.

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
my older brother ran track. still has the same body at 65. me, never liked sports

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
X-Country runner grades 9&10

Junior year rolls around and I decide I'm too cool for it and just want to play guitar after school.

I'll always regret not sticking with it all through high school. I know I missed out on some good memories and maybe even a scholarship. I was really good at soccer. I understood the game and had the skills to go far, at least by Texas standards :laugh2:

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Reaction score
High School Football

Wide Receiver

Wasn't that big, wasn't that fast.
But I could run a route that would leave the fastest D back spinning into the ground and could catch anything within 5 yards of me.

Sure hated going over the middle though.........OUCH!

Funny thing.
I liked getting hit as much as I liked hitting.
Nothing like bouncing up after getting creamed by some linebacker and tossing him the ball after making first downs.

jlu52

ignoramus maximus emeritus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was a wrestler on HS team. Outside of school, amateur boxing and hockey organizations. Used to run with the Cross Country track team in late summer, early fall to be in top shape for wrestling......

lunchbox

Reaction score
H2O Polo and Swim Team. That's what all us skate punks in my town back in the '80's did.

LongBeach

Reaction score
I played football, basketball, track, baseball in middle school.

High school, I was on the golf team, but, mostly just smoked
a shit-ton of pot :run::run:

And no, I have no regrets for not playing sports in high school.
Our dinky-shit town expected you to make the sport your life.
I wasn't into it at all.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was very athletic-- martial arts training from the time I was 12 years old.

Didn't get involved in any of the school athletic programs, though.

--R

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was a wrestler on HS team. Outside of school, amateur boxing and hockey organizations. Used to run with the Cross Country track team in late summer, early fall to be in top shape for wrestling......

I wrestled in jr high school(great exercise) but we had no sports in high school.
I think unless women were involved I would not have been interested in that in high school.:naughty:

Latest Threads