How Many Of You Tried Your Historic Before You Bought It?

stephen78

Reaction score
Just curious to see how many folks tried their Historic before they bought it...and did you travel a good distance to a shop/seller? I ask because I'm working towards saving for one (hopefully beginning of next year if things go well), and I want to avoid buying online this time.

I've owned an R8 and an R7 in the past...one purchased from a dealer online and the other purchased from the forum. I ended up selling both eventually. They weren't bad guitars...but they didn't wow me in any way either. Right now I'm just down to my 2008 Traditional, which I loved right off the bat and still love (definitely my number one)...but I decided I want to add an R9 to the stable this time.

I feel like with such a big purchase, I would really like to find a place with a good inventory where I can try a bunch first. I'm in southeast Michigan, so I have a couple shops that I know have Historics in stock (Motor City Guitar/Huber Breese Music)...but I feel like this time I'd be willing to drive a good distance to find a place where I can try a bunch of R9s. Sweetwater is a little over a 2 hour drive from me...wonder if I would be able to go there and try a few? Or maybe just make a weekend trip to the HOG in NY or Dave's in WI.

Anyways, I'd love to hear about your experiences and if you traveled anywhere to find "the one." Thanks!

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess you'd have to define "a bunch". I'm also close MCG and Huber. Marty (MCG) is cool as hell, but unless something has changed in the last few years, he has very few, if any, Reissue's in stock.

It would be well worth a trip to HOG, IMO. No sales tax if you do PP and have him ship it. From my experience, Paul Huber is a bit of a douche. He has a fair share of Reissue's, but he always wants a mint for them.

Sweetwater....I've never really seen a top in their inventory that does anything for me. I've bought a ton of stuff from them, and their customer service is great, but not where I'd go for a R9.

I think I'm going to part with my 2019 shortly.....PM me if you are interested. I'm sure it would be waayyyy less than you'd get it anywhere else :).

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater....I've never really seen a top in their inventory that does anything for me. I've bought a ton of stuff from them, and their customer service is great, but not where I'd go for a R9.
+1

I love Sweetwater and buy from them a lot, but they just don't seem to get the cream of the crop in terms of flame tops. For a plaintop R8 or R7, they would be great, though.

Crotch

Support MLP Veterans & Vendors
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not one time with Historics.

I think out of over 50 guitars I have played maybe 5 prior to buying.

Weight doesn't bother me. Neck size doesn't bother me. If it needs a tweak I can do it or give it to my guy to do it. I'll adapt to anything.

I often think people are waaaaaay too picky. Selling an R9 I have recently reminded me of such. I had people asking me if it was over 8.5lbs. Cause if it was they couldn't do it. So if it were 8.6 or 8.7 you would really be able to tell the difference and let a good guitar get away over 1 oz? Ok, I guess.

Keep in mind I don't gig but maybe a few songs once or twice here and there so maybe thats the difference. It's not a professional tool for me. If it were, possibly I'd be more picky. Can't say. I'm after deals first, everything else second.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
All of my Historics were tried before I purchased. A 2004 R7,..2012 R9,.. 2014 R8 and a 2014 CC28.

I actually got to pick through a collection of CC models..... a Sandy and a Beast as well as a CC 12..... I was impressed with the CC28 over the others entirely on what I thought was tone and playability....and it was a lot cheaper.....if I could have afford it I would have bought all of them.

The other Historics I bought were over a few years of looking and trying a few here and there till one just spoke out to me as being something I couldn’t live without.

I love to travel and shop in different shops and explore. So yeah I have put in plenty of miles in obtaining all my guitars including Historics. It’s part of the fun.

I never go in wanting something then settle for what they have..... that could get expensive. Over many years I got a clear idea of what it takes to be a keeper or a pass. There’s plenty out there.... ;)

Last edited:

Dalendl

Reaction score
I live in a remote area (NW Minnesots) so I bought mine online from Mark's Guitar loft. I asked a few questions but he played it a have me a pretty good idea what it was like. So far, I'm very satisfied.

I would love to drive and try out some but the closest dealer with any inventory is Dave's in LaCrosse, about 9 hours away.

Dalendl

Reaction score
I guess you'd have to define "a bunch". I'm also close MCG and Huber. Marty (MCG) is cool as hell, but unless something has changed in the last few years, he has very few, if any, Reissue's in stock.

It would be well worth a trip to HOG, IMO. No sales tax if you do PP and have him ship it. From my experience, Paul Huber is a bit of a douche. He has a fair share of Reissue's, but he always wants a mint for them.

I think I'm going to part with my 2019 shortly.....PM me if you are interested. I'm sure it would be waayyyy less than you'd get it anywhere else :).
Just curious why you are thinking of selling your 2019?

ESchmidt

Reaction score
I have never tried before I buy for a reissue. I always buy used via this forum or Reverb. My driveway is 10 minuets away from Sweetwater. I’m spoiled, I know. I just can’t see the point in paying the money for a new reissue. I’ll just wait a year or two, and then make the big (used) purchase. I do like having sweetwater nearby for pedals, though.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just curious why you are thinking of selling your 2019?
Long story. Short version, I had been looking for the right one, and just before I bought it, a R8 came available with a monster top on it. I already paid for the R8 when the R9 popped up. I figured I'd check them both out, and keep one. Just for grins, the R8 and R9.......
monster 8.png
19 r9.jpg

J50315

Reaction score
Not one time with Historics.

I think out of over 50 guitars I have played maybe 5 prior to buying.

Weight doesn't bother me. Neck size doesn't bother me. If it needs a tweak I can do it or give it to my guy to do it. I'll adapt to anything.

I often think people are waaaaaay too picky. Selling an R9 I have recently reminded me of such. I had people asking me if it was over 8.5lbs. Cause if it was they couldn't do it. So if it were 8.6 or 8.7 you would really be able to tell the difference and let a good guitar get away over 1 oz? Ok, I guess.

Keep in mind I don't gig but maybe a few songs once or twice here and there so maybe thats the difference. It's not a professional tool for me. If it were, possibly I'd be more picky. Can't say. I'm after deals first, everything else second.
+1. Cracks me up the number of people who insist on neck sizes or weights. My (polite) response in a personal message is- what range do you need it to be in to make a deal? 99.99% of the time you get crickets in response.

I never played a single one of my reissues or collectors choice for that matter prior to purchasing it. I have never had issues adapting to any of them

NotScott

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I only have 3. I bought all of them online without trying them first. I do my homework ahead of time and know the specs and features I want and what to ask ahead of time so when it arrives, I am not surprised.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I played dozens in multiple cities over a year and a half.

The one I found had the perfect neck size for me, perfect weight, ultra resonant, and sounds amazing. It has a dog of a top but for this guitar finding the best regardless of looks was the plan. Plus it was in the ballpark for as good as the real Burst's I've been fortunate enough to have played.

The hunt was fun and the one I found is a 1%, forever keeper. There was no way I was going to drop that much coin on a guitar that wasn't mind blowing.

What about going to Chicago Music Exchange?

Lwilliams

Reaction score
I have owned 7 Historics....down to only 3 now. But I have not played a single one before buying. I asked tons of questions about everything on all of them but one. That one came from Sweetwater. It was returned within 2 weeks. All the rest stayed around a long time.

I have bought a lot of stuff from Sweetwater. That one just did not work out.

Pappy58

Reaction score
Both my current historic's and my CS LPC were purchased unplayed by me. The sellers were excellent and provided weights and measures and lots of high res pics....and all accepted returns if I was unhappy. None went back.

Price, Neck size and weight are the things I care about. To me most differences in tone are in the setup. I have never taken one out of a box that we ready for ME to play. They always need some work. ymmv

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
The hunt was fun and the one I found is a 1%, forever keeper. There was no way I was going to drop that much coin on a guitar that wasn't mind blowing.
Exactly. For anyone saying they don't understand being that picky about a Historic Les Paul, I say how can you NOT be? You can adapt to a guitar, sure. Nearly everyone is capable of compromise - but imagine if you didn't have to.

I have always said, anyone who doesn't believe in a true keeper just hasn't played one yet.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
When the house about caught fire it was the second thing I asked about when my wife asked what to get out incase things went south.

It would be darn near irreplaceable

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I played one or two at GC ….then went ballistic over the next 5 ~ 7 years buying and selling like a mad man on the internet...

I ended up with more than a few gems, and many more that I would have loved keeping. My consensus is they are all very similar, the huge differences are with the neck profile, also the heavier they are the better, there seems to be a translation of highs that lend to the attack. (much depends on pickups and harness) in fact a good 90% to 95%

I also went through a pick up phase....countless humbuckers....settled on Wizz, custom buckers, and throwbak.....but thats a very subjective subject.....and there were very few that I hated....

So to answer the initial question...no .....I never played one before I bought it....I would still be on # 4 or something because very few stores stock historics in my area....and I live very near Detroit....(a major city in case you never heard us)

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I should probably add that I feel a proper evaluation takes a lot more than a few minutes. I will spend a good hour, at home with amp, with amp very loud, and with no amp ….then I reflect on the instrument and over time, maybe three days or more I start to make decisions based on whether or not it beckons me to play it some more, or does it sit there and argue with me...

Because you have to do a set up (whether you do it yourself or pay someone) you need to be able to translate your expression to that fretboard.....cant do that in one sitting.

Ideally I play it with band, all those dynamics are either there or their not in a live situation.

My CC#7 spoke to the drummer.....he noticed its sparkle and shimmer (insane attack).

he gave me the thumbs down on a few guitars......they didn't stay long....

yeatzee

Reaction score
Didn't play my R7 or my 345 64ri, but did try out the 330 59ri.

I think one of the advantages of the historics is that you don't have to play one before buying like many would say you would a USA range. I think they're pretty much all good, they might be a bit different but I don't think there are many dogs out there.