How many of you guys/gals humidify your electrics?

GraphX12

Reaction score
Since I live in the upper Midwest where the winters here are BRUTAL, I religiously humidify my Westerly RI Guild and Larrivee acoustic guitars. (I've tried quite a few humidifiers and found the Oasis system to be the best IMO)

I am wondering how many of you humidify your Epiphone electric guitars? I have an Epi Les Paul Standard and an Epi G-400 and have never humidified them. If you do, what system do you prefer?

IRG

Reaction score
I'm running a small humidifier in my guitar room right now. Nothing special, and I don't measure, more of a feeling thing. Outside the room I have a dehumidifier set at 45% or so, but this time of a year, it doesn't run much.

So yeah, I will run a humidifier now and then, just to make sure the room doesn't get too try. I should get a hygrometer someday.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
I've never bothered with the electrics but recently bought a solid wood martin acoustic. Ordered a few cheap sponge type humidifiers and a hygrometer.

Checked the hygrometer and the humidity is 50% in my house so i'll go back to not bothering with using a humidifier.:D

cheetah77

Reaction score
I live in Phoenix and do everything I can to dry my guitars out, so no.

GraphX12

Reaction score
I've never bothered with the electrics but recently bought a solid wood martin acoustic. Ordered a few cheap sponge type humidifiers and a hygrometer.

Checked the hygrometer and the humidity is 50% in my house so i'll go back to not bothering with using a humidifier.:D

I have a humidifier attached to my furnace but it still doesn't get the humidity level up to where it should be. I use the "in hole" humidifiers in my acoustics along with hygrometers in each case.

GraphX12

Reaction score
I suppose, but I've lived here most of my many years and have never had a humidity issue with any of my guitars. What am I missing?

You're lucky. Can't speak for electric guitars (since I'm new to these) but I know from experience that a dry acoustic guitar is much more susceptible to getting finish checking and woods can warp and crack. This is a major concern in cold, dry climates. I've heard that cheap guitars with thick, heavy finishes have less trouble with this.

If you ever take a guitar into a warm house from cold weather, make sure you let it sit in the unopened case for a while to acclimate to the temperature change.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My house/shop is 45% all the time. 24/7. So in the dead of winter (it can get pretty cold and extremely dry here) all of my windows are soaked with condensation from keeping the humidity up there. But my guitars are all stable, not to mention the grand piano and solid wood furniture etc...

I would advise against the Oasis humidifier or any system that goes inside of the guitar soundbox.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/202536-oasis-humidifier-warning-leaked-ruined-my-martin-pics.html

GraphX12

Reaction score
My house/shop is 45% all the time. 24/7. So in the dead of winter (it can get pretty cold and extremely dry here) all of my windows are soaked with condensation from keeping the humidity up there. But my guitars are all stable, not to mention the grand piano and solid wood furniture etc...

I would advise against the Oasis humidifier or any system that goes inside of the guitar soundbox.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/lut...ier-warning-leaked-ruined-my-martin-pics.html

I feel very sorry for this poor fellow. What a shame to have your guitar ruined like this. I have NEVER had any issues with either of mine. I cannot speak for him nor anybody else that has used the Oasis as far as maintenance goes, but I do know there are a few precautions that MUST be followed when using one of these. (1) The fabric is delicate and NEVER should be handled. The fabric is a membrane that allows the moisture to "seep" out and can be damaged very easily if mishandled. (2) When not in use (ex. summer), all the crystals must be emptied and the humidifier washed completely out then allowed to dry. It then needs to be stored with the cap "slightly" screwed on, not screwed tightly so air can circulate. If these steps are not followed, damage can occur to the membrane. When put back into use, new crystals must be added along with water (of course).

I am not saying the guy in the link above, nor anyone else that had problems, didn't follow these guidelines. All I'm saying is I have been using mine now for quite a while with no problems whatsoever.

The customer service this guy received though really sucks! I have submitted questions to Oasis in the past and have always had good service. Please note: I am not plugging these humidifiers. I'm just stating that of all the different devices I've tried through the years, these have been the best for me. Use whatever works for you. The important thing is to not let your guitar dry out.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I feel very sorry for this poor fellow. What a shame to have your guitar ruined like this. I have NEVER had any issues with either of mine. I cannot speak for him nor anybody else that has used the Oasis as far as maintenance goes, but I do know there are a few precautions that MUST be followed when using one of these. (1) The fabric is delicate and NEVER should be handled. The fabric is a membrane that allows the moisture to "seep" out and can be damaged very easily if mishandled. (2) When not in use (ex. summer), all the crystals must be emptied and the humidifier washed completely out then allowed to dry. It then needs to be stored with the cap "slightly" screwed on, not screwed tightly so air can circulate. If these steps are not followed, damage can occur to the membrane. When put back into use, new crystals must be added along with water (of course).

.....The important thing is to not let your guitar dry out.

Yes and because of Murphy's law I still wouldn't use that.

But you're right the important thing is not to let it dry out.

If you keep your guitar in a case I find the Herco humidifiers to work great.

KenG

Reaction score
Hmmmm My Oasis for the Taylor has a gel in it. I just keep it full of distilled water.
As for electrics, it would be far better if people kept them in the proper humidity than slathering oil on the boards claiming it moisturizes them.
When my R7 fretboard binding got some minor splits in it fro fretboard shrinkage I started using home made humidifiers in the cases and lo and behold the cracks close up again. So in short yes.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i live in florida.never have too little humidity here...

GraphX12

Reaction score
Hmmmm My Oasis for the Taylor has a gel in it. I just keep it full of distilled water.
As for electrics, it would be far better if people kept them in the proper humidity than slathering oil on the boards claiming it moisturizes them.
When my R7 fretboard binding got some minor splits in it fro fretboard shrinkage I started using home made humidifiers in the cases and lo and behold the cracks close up again. So in short yes.

Yeah, the crystals turn to gel once water is added. I always use distilled water also.

I just ordered a couple of Herco humidifiers for my electrics. Thought I'd try them out - cheep.

fumblefinger

Reaction score
I've used the Planet Waves Humidipak humidifiers with my acoustics, but I don't put them in the hole. I put them in the accessory compartment and check/change them about once a quarter. Haven't had a problem in the last 3 years that I've been using them. I don't do anything to the solid bodies except keep them in the basement, with a dehumidifier in the summer.

GraphX12

Reaction score
I've used the Planet Waves Humidipak humidifiers with my acoustics, but I don't put them in the hole. I put them in the accessory compartment and check/change them about once a quarter. Haven't had a problem in the last 3 years that I've been using them. I don't do anything to the solid bodies except keep them in the basement, with a dehumidifier in the summer.

Just once a quarter?!! Seriously? :shock: I fill my Oasis' once a week!

HotDan!

Reaction score
I sorta do. The humidity here in the high desert goes from something like 15% in the summer to 90% in the winter. I like a fine cigar on occasion and keep them on hand. A few years back, we went on a trip and, wanting to take a few cigars along, my tobacconist suggested that I just put them into a zip lock bag along with a packet product called a Water Pillow to keep them fresh. It worked great. Being the forward thinking fellow that I am, I threw one in a guitar case along with the hygrometer from my humidor and it raised the humidity from around 20% to near 70%. Each summer now, I toss one in each case about every two or three weeks and scoop 'em out come winter. Works good and it's cheap.

Latest Threads