How many of you guys are second-gen guitar players?

bobarino

Reaction score
my dad played guitar, bass, harmonica, and keyboards.
at first, i wanted to play the drums, but there were no drums in the house,
and he didn't feel like buying me a drum kit, so i went for my 2nd choice, the guitar.
i'm glad it turned out like that. guitars are awesome.

truckermde

Reaction score
My Dad played guitar, and he gave me my first guitar in the mid-70s, when I was 5 or 6. It was a mid-50s Harmony F-hole, arch-top jazz guitar, all black. Kinda like this:

H1456_Monterey_01.jpg

Pretty sure it was a Monterey model, but I can't remember, (& I know my Dad can't). It was my pride & joy for many years :)

Pennyman

Reaction score
My dad had a couple of cheapo acoustics, and every once in a blue moon I'd hear him noodling around, just a few chords, really. After he passed, they sat around unused for a couple of years until I took up guitar and tried them on. Didn't take long to realize they were far from "players."

We had a piano. Neither of my parents played, but the three of us kids were subjected to lessons, to which I took about as well as a cat does to a bath. I had a good ear though, I could listen to a song on the radio and within minutes pick out the melody on the keys. My sister was a sight-reader, and she was pretty good (from a 10-year old's perspective), but she gave it up in her teens.

My brother was neither here nor there on piano. I remember him taking guitar lessons briefly when he was around 10 or 12, but it didn't last. He took trumpet in HS band, but again, that was short-lived. (As was my French horn stint, if I'm honest...)

My mom - not a shred of musical talent. I remember sitting next to her in church and wondering what that sound was when we were singing a hymn, and realizing it was my mom's voice.

I started with guitar at 15, and I'm the only one who took to an instrument and kept it as a hobby.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My dad played violin and piano. He was sent to music lessons when he was about 7 or 8, and around the age of 13 he had letters after his name for violin playing after passing examinations at a certain level. He died of a heart attack (aged 50) when I was 11, so I never had the chance to pick his musical brain.

Here's a crop of a photo of him taken at the music school that he went to. Note his swarthy complexion compared to the others - his grandfather Luis was Portuguese.

garweft

Reaction score
My dad told me it was a waste of time unless you can play like B.B. King.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm first generation on guitar, unless you count a cousin who turned pro. My sister started on accordion and then switched to piano, and a bunch of other cousins played piano. The uncles had a killer barbershop quartet going, but only for family get-togethers.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
My dad played but stopped a year or so after I started. The Strat he passed down to me is nice, but I wish he would have been a Gibson player.

parts

Reaction score
My Uncle Mike was one of the first guitar and banjo on radio in the late 20s..
I inherited this Custom made tenor
1927..he had it rebuilt in the late 60s..all the gold replated..
a3514795-050e-4458-95fc-1ca91cb19fa7.jpg

Really incredible wood inlayed back
P1010416.jpg

I inherited this 30+ years ago.
He had property in Racine, Wi ..He would rent to migrant gypsy farm workers..We would visit and the music around a large bonfire was incredible to a 12 year old.. I got to spend some summer weeks with Uncle Mike (Massimo).. Miss him..

I actually got to play with him when I was about 14-15.. He played old style blues on a old Gibson LG..and a Gibson tenor guitar..

My cousin got the guitars..
But the Banjo was his pride and joy..
I have searched for years for more info. It was built by a violin maker in New York, Pacheco & Klemm..but they were sold to Slingerland in the 1930s..

Still looking for more info..

kevinpaul

Reaction score
My dad played the organ and had three kids, one of each. He played an organ that just fell off the dog, yes odd. I am the first to play the guitar and not have a dog.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
as far as I know __ going back to my great grandparents . I'm the only one who picked up a guitar ( and that didn't happen until I was 46 :shock: )
my father played sax and harmonica __my mother piano

( edit : just talked to my father on the phone . he also played standing bass when he was young . no guitar )

El Kabong

Reaction score
Dad - Guitar
Grandad - Banjo
G. Grandad - Banjo
G.G. Grandad - Banjo

My son (9 yrs old) starts formal guitar lessons tomorrow...

Reaction score
My Dad played, not so much anymore, but he got me started on his Harmony Rocket into a Airline amp. :) I loved that pair, still have them at Dad's house. Also, he provided me with an impressive collection of vinyl to learn from. All the essentials to any guitar players library. As I learned to play, he encouraged me to play on his OLD Yamaha 12 string. "It'll toughen your fingers up!" Sure did. Thanks pops. :)
Oh, and he nor I knew Grandpa, but there is several pictures of him playing guitar & banjo.

Latest Threads