How many nicks, first shave with straight razor?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
So, I just bought my first straight razor.

I don't envision doing 100% of a shave with it. I got it to do the big open areas. I use a double edge razor for most of the rest and a Gillette Fusion to get the area right under my nose and clean up spots I miss.

3 nicks on the first attempt. One nice 3/4" long cut (makes me look tough).

That said, i couldn't wait for round 2. I did the cheeks from sideburns to edge of mouth, some of the neck. Holy crap. When you do it right, it is so f-ing close it is ridiculous.

I am looking forward to developing some proficiency with it.

Last edited:

Zipslack

Reaction score
Have you ever used GEM Se razors? Those use a similar angle and can help prepare for SR. I've only tried straights this week. So far, so good, but only doing 2 passes. I've been using vintage Gillettes and Gems for the past few years, so already used to multi-pass patterns with minimal pressure and paying attention to angle.

Have you checked with BadgerandBlade forum? Tons of useful info and helpful people.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I won't even use a regular razor lol.
I quit drinking for Lent. I can notice a difference in the thickness (viscosity) of my blood (honestly).

I am alternating between Harry's Eucalyptus shave cream and Cremo (regular). Great products, great creams, build up nice foams and makes me smell good enough to eat...

I will also admit that I use Afta (that cheap-ass aftershave) and it is excellent. So much better than the expensive aftershaves I used to buy.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Have you ever used GEM Se razors? Those use a similar angle and can help prepare for SR. I've only tried straights this week. So far, so good, but only doing 2 passes. I've been using vintage Gillettes and Gems for the past few years, so already used to multi-pass patterns with minimal pressure and paying attention to angle.

Have you checked with BadgerandBlade forum? Tons of useful info and helpful people.
I have been using Feather DE blades in my Merkur for many years. Just bought some Russian blades (forget the name) that are rumoured to be sharp like the Feathers. The Merkur 23C is fairly aggressive. I also have a Jagger and a few other DE razors.

I just got the SR this week. It is a cheapy with Derby blades, but I am impressed. I watched a few vids, but already knew most of it.

defcrew

Reaction score
I put milk on my face and let a cat lick it off. I love it when I use Grandma's old remedy for poison ivy of putting milk on it. The cat is quite entertaining trying to subsequently scratch his tongue.

S. Rock

Reaction score
I used a double edge for many years. started using those throw away razors and never looked back.. I'm now using one with triple blades. it works well enough. at 67, I'm not trying to win any beauty contests. :rofl:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I put milk on my face and let a cat lick it off. I love it when I use Grandma's old remedy for poison ivy of putting milk on it. The cat is quite entertaining trying to subsequently scratch his tongue.
I've never been a cat person. The first time our (rescue) kittens licked my hand I was like "WTF?" It's like shark skin.

Last edited:

parts

Reaction score
I went to an all male Catholic jock prep school..Chicago.. Being a dago kid..I had a slight beard early..Freshman year. I played varsity and figured I was King Dick his self..

Dean of discipline (ex Marine that mustered out because he couldn't handle being around people..the rumor). Anyway I was told to shave over a weekend..we won a game I did well in..so I though King Dick..fuck it..

Welp..Monday at 10am..I was called to the "office"..sat in a chair and DRY SHAVED with a straight razor..

I learned many things that morning..

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I used a double edge for many years. started using those throw away razors and never looked back.. I'm now using one with triple blades. it works well enough. at 67, I'm trying to win any beauty contests. :rofl:
I just bought my dad a 'pallet' of Dorco 6 (IIRC) blade razors (about $2/cartridge). I'd rather not have him bleed out in the bathroom.

I must admit, I am enjoying the manly art of shaving. I love the DE experience, but the SR on the cheek leaves it like a baby's bottom.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I went to a an all male Catholic jock prep school..Chicago.. Being a dago kid..I had a slight beard early..Freshman year. I played varsity and figured I was King Dick his self..

Dean of discipline (ex Marine that mustered out because he couldn't handle being around people..the rumor). Anyway I was told to shave over a weekend..we won a game I did well in..so I though King Dick..fuck it..

Welp..Monday at 10am..I was called to the "office"..sat in a chair and DRY SHAVED with a straight razor..

I learned many things that morning..
The Dean of Discipline and I were so well acquainted, I invited him to my wedding. There was a sheet posted each morning of the students that needed to see the Dean of Discipline. My name was part of the template of the printout.

frozenotter

Victim
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Please refrain from posting any reports on any other parts of your body that you may "graduate" to with this though.

:p

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Thanks. Please refrain from posting any reports on any other parts of your body that you may "graduate" to with this though.

:p
I definitely won't post my manscaping photos until I have better control over the razor...plus, I get woozy when there is blood near my Johnson.

S. Rock

Reaction score
I just bought my dad a 'pallet' of Dorco 6 (IIRC) blade razors (about $2/cartridge). I'd rather not have him bleed out in the bathroom.

I must admit, I am enjoying the manly art of shaving. I love the DE experience, but the SR on the cheek leaves it like a baby's bottom.
my grandfather used a shaving brush and cup for years and years. probably a carry over from using a straight razor. he was born in 1893. by the time I came along he was using a double edge. as a kid, the only time I saw a straight razor used was at the barber shop.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
my grandfather used a shaving brush and cup for years and years. probably a carry over from using a straight razor. he was born in 1893. by the time I came along he was using a double edge. as a kid, the only time I saw a straight razor used was at the barber shop.
My old man gave me my first razor, brush, soap and mug. I was probably rocking a nice pubic-hair mustachio.

Now, I shower. I use hair conditioner on my beard. Use brush and great products to get a lather going. Then I start carving up my face. As I mentioned in OP, I am now up to using three different razors to shave my mug.

parts

Reaction score
In my family..My gramps and I were the ONLY blue eyed lighter skinned dagos.. So great for me as I was sort of second in line..for what"?
Anyway..he gave me my first..boar hair brush and straight edge I sharpened on the the leather strapping hung from the back of the bucasa,,(bathroom) door..

I went to double edge after he died..still have it..use it..no.. I remember Sheffield blades were the tits..er good..

Tone deaf

Reaction score
In my family..My gramps and I were the ONLY blue eyed lighter skinned dagos.. So great for me as I was sort of second in line..for what"?
Anyway..he gave me my first..boar hair brush and straight edge I sharpened on the the leather strapping hung from the back of the bucasa,,(bathroom) door..

I went to double edge after he died..still have it..use it..no.. I remember Sheffield blades were the tits..er good..
I'm black Irish. When I lived in Italy, I felt like I was home. My 1 o'clock shadow is like a normal guy's 5 o'clock shadow.

cjpeck

Reaction score
haven't bought a razor since '89. My whole shift at the FD started using straight blades at the same time. Never looked back.
Thing is last St Paddy's (just over a year ago) I realized that I don't have to shave every day anymore and grew a beard. Now I just trim things up once a week or so with a pair or barbor's scissors.

Deftone

Reaction score
I grew a beard so I just trim that and shave my neck with a damp razor, no soap.