How Many Les Pauls is Too Many?

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
How many is too much? Let’s see...

You’ll need a goldtop, a plaintop, some flames, maybe a black or white custom.

Oh, and a Junior.

And a LP with P-90s.

and possibly an all hog LP.

Did I mention a Special? You’ll need a Special.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a fat body Tribute with mini hums, a skinny LPMM with P-90s and an Epi Junior with a P-100. I don't really mind that I don't have an LP with regular humbuckers. I would like an R4, though or a Classic with P-90s.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I've boiled it down to "however many I actually keep fresh strings on". Lots of good points here though.

When you have so many that you pick one up and the strings are dead/out of tune and the relief is off a bit means you need to up the maintenance schedule or have less guitars. It's different for everyone, sentimental attachment guitars get a pass.

jwehrman

Reaction score
I have 2, and that seems to be the right number for me. They both foil one another in terms of looks, sound, and feel. One is brash and feisty, and the other is softer and more delicate. I wouldn't turn down a third, but I don't think all of them would get the same TLC. One would go without. A goldtop would be the next logical step for me, but at this point, I don't like to own things just to own them.

MikeC

Reaction score
One les paul is enough for me.

My next guitar is going to be an Olson SJ.

joff

Reaction score
I was up to 5 and then down to 2...up to 4 and now back down to 2...it's enough for me...but a 1954 GT with P90s would be nice!

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I have 2, and that seems to be the right number for me. They both foil one another in terms of looks, sound, and feel. One is brash and feisty, and the other is softer and more delicate. I wouldn't turn down a third, but I don't think all of them would get the same TLC. One would go without. A goldtop would be the next logical step for me, but at this point, I don't like to own things just to own them.
Yes, me too. Although one is an Epiphone LP Standard and the other is my avatar Gibson LP 60s Tribute Gold Top, so I cover the humbucker/burst/binding version and the more striped down and P90 version. I don't need one with a Bigsby or 3 pick ups...other colours are nice, but I just don't need them.

I've become a bit more conscious of buying stuff for the sake of it, so I'm having a little clear out this year of stuff that doesn't get used enough. Someone else will get some use out of it and I'll get a bit of money back for other interests/hobbies (or just to buy more strings :D ).

EDIT: Just realised this is the Historics & Reissues section, so I guess my LPs don't really count. :)

Last edited:

ACEit

Reaction score
I have an R8, an '18 trad w/ BK mules and emerson wiring, a '17 trad hp with BK black dogs and rewired.... now I wish an r6 and a black custom....

maybe the '17 will go...

Wailing

Reaction score
Well, you don't have any P-90's or any slab bodies in that list, so clearly you don't have enough. :p
TBH the balance of Humbuckers to P90's needs addressing... You must always have more P90's than Humbuckers in your collection... Its just the way things should be :)

Deftone

Reaction score
I appreciate the benefits of owning one to three guitars. You might bond with them more, get better at playing them by being more familiar, etc...

But having several is a lot of fun. I certainly have my go to guitars, but it's fun to be able to grab something different. Different guitars inspire different playing. Good guitars go up in value, so I look at them like savings bonds. Savings bonds I can play and enjoy.

its nice to have one even if its just to remind you how nice your Fenders are
I feel the opposite. I always try to get my Fenders to sound like my Gibsons, especially my Les Pauls. It doesn't work. I don't like the scale, I don't like the tone. It's just not for me so I usually end up selling them. I have another one now, but the process has already begun.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I currently have 3, but have had as many as 5 at one time (IIRC). With Epiphone’s new Inspired by Gibson line I will be picking up a couple more (LPC and the TV Yellow Special), so I’ll be back up to 5 and that seems to be about my max number in terms of ownership and being able to give them all the attention/play-time they deserve.

Well... maybe I’ll leave a little fudge room for one more just in case... so let’s call it 6 tops... unless I need 7! :laugh2:

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
3 to 4 historic Les Paul's (I have had 5 at once and I was emotionally overwhelmed....it resulted in playing separate song parts on separate guitars.....it was pathetic....

a strat and an acoustic...a hollow electric of some sort and maybe a Tele …(it is OK to sub a tele for a strat or vise versa)

MooCheng

Reaction score
have had a few LP's over the years, after a short honeymoon they get moved on pretty quick
As much as I love the look, sound and history of the LP, I've come to the conclusion they're just not for me. each to their own, I guess.

So why do I haunt MLP ?..........well, I like you guys.......sort of........there I said it
its good here, eventhough Edro's posts won't go through google translate