How many guitars to get to your #1

captdan61

Reaction score
Y’mean so far? :cool2:

This partsotele was my #1 for a long time.
View attachment 520684
I bolted it together. Went through three necks. Played it for all kinds of music in all kinds of places from bar&grills to actual nightclubs for maybe 15 years.

I moved to a new town about the same time as the shelter-in-place thing happened, and left the Tele behind with a friend. I had already ordered an R4 from Sweetwater. Then added other guitars just for my own use, since I’ve also left the club wars behind.

One of my better purchases turned out to be my 2020 Slash LP November Burst, which I’ve now made everybody here at MLP sick of hearing about.
View attachment 520690
It remains my #1 favorite even though I’m still impulsively buying guitars.:fingersx:
they keep coming out with names four finishes that I've never heard before. I bought my first or 9 it was a color called The Bourbon burst that guitar had the issue and Gibson replaced it was a 2016 in Bourbon burst it is darker than the first one I had. It looks like ecos bourbon burst November burst Tobacco Burst? And bourbon burst iced tea burst November 1st and Faded Tobacco Burst seem to be color-wise all over the map. That's a beautiful guitar. I tend to like guitars that I'm a very light yellow midsection and then fade to somewhere between iced tea and a dork chestnut color I just don't know what it's called but it's my next Les Paul unless I get a gold top or a Junior.

captdan61

Reaction score
I hope I never find “the one”. I go through guitars like fast women, and I don’t plan on settling down. I love lots of cars and guitars, and only one woman!
I've been married.. and i've been happy. HAPPYS BETTER! Nah my 3 wife is like my 5th les paul. Pretty good.

mvk66

Reaction score
My #1 is a Jimmy Page Les Paul Artist Proof #2... and the Hiwatt Custom 20 in red is my favorite amp. I used to play the LP out in public a lot but the value has shot up and it doesn’t leave the house very much anymore. Took a while to get used to hitting that middle pickup with your pick... the six way switch took a while to master as well.
38DE43E2-FAF9-4476-AE35-1D52BC5BB47B.jpeg

tenchijin2

Reaction score
I can't be the only person who doesn't have a "#1."
In one band I prefer my ES335, and in another it's a Strat Plus. And depending on my mood I may just grab an LP, or a Telecaster. Depends a lot on what I expect to be doing.

Spudvader

Reaction score
Not including beginner guitars, I had Mexican strat, which I still own, then to a Gibson LP classic which I traded for my 1997 collectors edition strat. That's my baby, modified practically everything on it and refinished twice...bad relic job. I have since acquired an 04 Gibson LP custom, that is my #1 every other day lol

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I currently own 58 guitars at last count(not counting my mandolins, banjos etc) and honestly I only play about 6 of them regularly. And 1 of the 6 daily. I seem to go through phases in what and how I want to play. So even though I play my LP Standard regularly, I will go through my Jackson SL4X phase or my Strat/Tele phase or BC Rich phase... where I can't seem to put them down. But I always gravitate back to the Standard given enough time.

Last edited:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
In one band I prefer my ES335, and in another it's a Strat Plus. And depending on my mood I may just grab an LP, or a Telecaster. Depends a lot on what I expect to be doing.
I'm there too. I have a Saturday night and a Sunday morning guitar for sure.

bum

Reaction score
To me a #1 is just the guitar you use by default, so most of my gigs are done with my 335 as it's the best guitar I've ever played, so it becomes my number 1.
Is it my favourite guitar? Maybe not, I have a great 60s Gretsch that is unbelievable, but it's not my #1 as it covers less ground.

gball

Reaction score
To me a #1 is just the guitar you use by default, so most of my gigs are done with my 335 as it's the best guitar I've ever played, so it becomes my number 1.
Is it my favourite guitar? Maybe not, I have a great 60s Gretsch that is unbelievable, but it's not my #1 as it covers less ground.
I think that's how I define it also. For me, my #1 is the one I grab first if I am trying out a new amp or pedal, etc.
For me it's my 2016 Traditional. How many to get there? I owned dozens of different guitars between when I started playing in 1977 and when I bought it in January of 2016, some great some not so, but no way to say it was an evolution.

tenchijin2

Reaction score
That's what I figurei is true for most people. I just don't have a "# 1" personally. I will grab the guitar that I feel is right for the purpose- for example, if I'm testing a new amp I already have an idea which project it's for, and I'll select the guitar that matches that project.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My new #1 is my Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Custom Black Beauty, just a stellar guitar all around. It came setup perfectly and is still setup perfectly. I have purchased about 25 guitars over the past 10-15 years and my Les Paul Custom Figured top was my #1 for a few years after I got it. I have slimmed the herd down to just 3 now, selling the old #1 since I just don't really play it anymore.

epijoebbbody2.jpg
epijoebbfull2.jpg
mycorner.jpg

bum

Reaction score
That's what I figurei is true for most people. I just don't have a "# 1" personally. I will grab the guitar that I feel is right for the purpose- for example, if I'm testing a new amp I already have an idea which project it's for, and I'll select the guitar that matches that project.
Oh yeah, I am in agreement with you there, I guess I just think about gigs when I talk about #1 - If I am trying stuff out or have the luxury of time then anything goes for sure.
Recording I can use three or four guitars on a song, it's fun :)

tenchijin2

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I am in agreement with you there, I guess I just think about gigs when I talk about #1 - If I am trying stuff out or have the luxury of time then anything goes for sure.
Recording I can use three or four guitars on a song, it's fun :)
Right but that's where I started- I don't have a #1 for gigs, because it's project dependent. ES335 for Funktown PDX, Strat Plus for Rockit Radio, and at other times it was an LP.

Gridlock

Reaction score
My three most recent guitars.
#1 Les Paul, 2009 R8
#1 Stratocaster, 2012 American Standard
#1 Telecaster, 2017 American Professional

0504A5A2-9D51-4CA2-8881-6DBA2A04E540.jpeg

7EBA34CE-6D08-4F6B-86BD-774F8BC741C7.jpeg
E62FBD2D-66E1-4DB1-94FB-2BF9A3FD4FBF.jpeg

Last edited:

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me ten years to convince my friend to sell me the guitar that is my Number One. It’s that great of a guitar, and has been my Number One for the past 14 years. It’s a 1997 R0, and feels like an extension of my body....

joba

Reaction score
I guess # 1 to all of us may differ according to what type of musician you are. I am just playing for ten years and only play at home. Thats a big difference compared to people who play out with a lot more experience. I have gone through quite a few guitars. Every purchase I make has the intention of being number 1 or I won't buy it. At seven at the moment. All different styles . Thats part of the fun that keeps the passion going. Always trading up for that holy grail. Im going to get slapped now. Kind of like women you always thing you have the one till you feel something better. Im married and happy now lol. So I buy guitars.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Oh man, that is a hard one.. let's see
  1. Fender strat MIJ 1962 RI
  2. ibanez RG 470 MIJ
  3. Ibanez RG 1570
  4. LP traditional 2009
  5. fender am std
  6. fender custom shop strat '61 RI
  7. ESP MIJ eclipse
  8. Ibanez RG8570z j custom
  9. fender telecaster MIJ 1962 RI
  10. Charvel usa custom shop
  11. Jackson USA soloist
  12. Suhr Custom Modern <-- #1
  13. [... more stuff that came after]

Ok, it took me 12 guitars to get to my #1. I didn't realize I've had so many guitars lol
I sold more than half of these guitars. Great ones, but they were taking up too much space.

My dream is to have the "triple crown" of guitars, which is the 'perfect to me' LP, strat and shredder trio.
The Suhr is definitely the perfect shredder for me. I think my LP traditional is pretty close to be the perfect LP to me. After the weight relief exercise I did recently, it may be my final and last LP.

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect strat too

Last edited:

Latest Threads