How many guitars equal a collection?

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corksniffing collector, at that!
Let's not go too far, now :laugh2: The only guitar I have that's sort of vintage is a Mexican Vintera Tele and they don't do vintage, wot? The Explorer has a grenadillo board and PCB, and the MM has an incorrect pickup. No $6000 guitars here ;)

DADGAD

Reaction score
It’s not a “Collection” until you have to have a filing system to keep track of them :rofl:.Never understood why wives put some limit on their spouses guitar purchases? Perhaps some men are joking? Does this really happen?

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only one who can bitch about my guitars, amps and pedals and the space they take up is me. And I really do have too many of each :laugh2:

TheX

just some do0d
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the busiest years of my gear flipping, I would regularly have over 100 guitars. Still not a collection, just trade stock. I stay under 15 these days, and it's been awesome. Still not a collection.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a “Collection” until you have to have a filing system to keep track of them :rofl:.Never understood why wives put some limit on their spouses guitar purchases? Perhaps some men are joking? Does this really happen?
I don't have an S.O. to complain, but I do have prices and serial numbers on Google Sheets for protection, and as a guide for my oldest son when I join the Post Life Jam.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I don't have an S.O. to complain, but I do have prices and serial numbers on Google Sheets for protection, and as a guide for my oldest son when I join the Post Life Jam.
I have a paper in each case detailing what it is and anything I've done to it like change the wiring harness and pickups or anything else. So if I croak hopefully my idiot sister doesn't sell them all for $20 each.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a paper in each case detailing what it is and anything I've done to it like change the wiring harness and pickups or anything else. So if I croak hopefully my idiot sister doesn't sell them all for $20 each.
A couple of my guitars have original parts in the cases, but my Tribute has no original parts available, and I couldn't find room in the '14 MM's case for the satin finish :)

Roxy13

Reaction score
The only one of mine that has original parts in the case is the Greco Project Series (custom made). Otherwise I have to figure no one cares that much about a collapsed bridge or crummy wiring harness. Guitars I would take out the pickups I put in first have their original pickups too.

fett

Reaction score
Roxy. You know it. I hope my family realizes that not all of my stuff is cheap stuff. They had a chance to handle lots of them when they were cleaning while I was in the hospital last year. I doubt I will be able to make a large dent in my "Collection" before my humbucker stops bucking. Thank goodness for the web.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There is an easy solution: don't have a spouse lol.
Nah... I'd give up all of my guitars, all of my guns and pretty much any other "stuff"... my spouse is the love of my life.

Ironically, she'd never allow me to give up anything for her... well, other than my propensity for being an asshole. And, we all know how that's going to end. :laugh2:

50 Watts

Reaction score
I think the distinction comes with the motivation behind why you have accumulated them. There are guitar collectors and guitar players and those that fall under both categories. I know a guy who can't play a lick but he has a killer guitar collection. I consider a collection to be something that you buy to hold on to, display or put away in a case. Just having a bunch of guitars is being an avid guitar player who likes different sounds, and types of instruments.

I have 13 and I have never considered myself a collector because I buy guitars that I want to play.

At least this is what I keep telling myself.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Nah... I'd give up all of my guitars, all of my guns and pretty much any other "stuff"... my spouse is the love of my life.

Ironically, she'd never allow me to give up anything for her... well, other than my propensity for being an asshole. And, we all know how that's going to end. :laugh2:
I'd say both of you are lucky to have someone like the other :)

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey, that's a fair trade, Steve. I don't have that, but would maybe be happier if I did.

But I don't want this thread to turn maudlin on my part (by the first definition of that word in Google), so I'll shut up now :cheers2:

Latest Threads