How loud are you guys running your amps?

Buffalo

Reaction score
Those of you who actually use real amps to practice and pay guitar at home, what volume levels are you running at home?
With my Roland Cube 10GX, I find that the comfortable spot is about 85-87 db, around Volume 1 on my amp. This is a 10 watt amp with and 8 inch speaker btw.
I see many of you with Marshalls and such, so how loud are those running?
FB_IMG_1633014365968.jpg

I rely on the volume controll in my fingers and on the guitar. It takes some time to work your way up on the amps volume control. You really have to learn to play gentle, but it gives you so much more headroom to craft the sound with your fingers.
FB_IMG_1633014411974.jpg

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
90-93db when my neighbors are home and I have to be quiet. My ears are fucked from damage from work so I'm a little deaf. But I feel that's when my amps usually open up.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blahdeblahdeblah...

No one expects accuracy in this, but at least some sort of db measurement (however inaccurate to your exacting standards) gives more comparable data than people telling us at what number they set their volume knob....

I set my volume knob to your mom and that works great for me.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOW LOUD IS A SUPER REVERB ON 8?!
8557F75A-EA0A-4BD8-96B7-D32A6FF001E5.jpeg

Seriously though, loud enough so people can still talk to the bartenders usually. At home, fairly quiet. At my shop?, really loud sometimes if I want.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Buffalo wrote:

“I rely on the volume controll in my fingers and on the guitar. It takes some time to work your way up on the amps volume control. You really have to learn to play gentle, but it gives you so much more headroom to craft the sound with your fingers.”

I found this to be true. Took me awhile to work my volume up high enough to let the amp open up with a bit extra headroom while playing at home. A lot depends on your picking technique. Where I pick in a hybrid fashion, it became easier for me to get to the volume I wanted.

Classicplayer

guitfiddle

Reaction score
On the 15 and 20 watt Dark Terror, OR15, and Micro Dark, most times around half on the volume and gain...less if I'm in a smaller room. With the OR50, most times just less than 3 for practice with the gain around 6, then up to just over 3 or more for stage volume depending on the stage and cabinet I'm using. At one show a couple years ago, the sound man just said "run it how you want". That day I put the volume on 5 and it was outstanding!!

Last edited:

Classicplayer

Reaction score
With my Dark Terror (and an understanding wife; who tells me I am not loud) I set the amp with a bit over 10 o'clock on the volume and 11 o'clock on the gain…..practice levels for home use. That's at 7 watts, but for 15 watts, my volume would drop a bit. More of a Zeppelin vibe than say, Sabbath.

Classicplayer

zeneffect

Reaction score
helix lt into the power amp section running at .1w

Loud enough, but I can close a door and not disturb anyone. Get all the tones I want.

Dsl1h (not the reissue)

nauc

Reaction score
mid 90 dbs. i have a 50 watt Boss Katana

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
I have a 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue and I play only at home. I keep my volume no louder than 3. It's a great sounding amp.

rafke182

Reaction score
Would a princeton sound better (amp working harder, not overall tone wise) because you can crank it up just a little more (15w) vs a deluxe reverb (22w) on the same db caracteristics?

Only has to be as powerfull as the venue, bar etc you play it in?

hbucker

Reaction score
Would a princeton sound better (amp working harder, not overall tone wise) because you can crank it up just a little more (15w) vs a deluxe reverb (22w) on the same db caracteristics?

Only has to be as powerfull as the venue, bar etc you play it in?

In theory, yes. You would crank the 15 watt amp a little more. 7 watts isn't a big difference though, and the conversation is dependent on the efficiency of the speaker in each amp. Theoretically, you'd have to crank the 22 watt amp higher than the 15 watt amp if the speaker were less efficient in the 22 watt.

But both speakers being identical, you would probably be able to push the 15 watt a little harder. - So many variables including characteristics of the amps (ie: where the sweet spot on each amp really is) that in this situation, I'd recommend you pick the amp you like best and just go with it. 7 watts isn't enough to lose sleep over vs a 50 watt difference.

And regardless of the venue size (though certainly relevant) the amp needs to be heard over the drummer. Drummers tend to set the necessary volume levels for the rest of the band. But if you're micing your amp and have good monitors, this tends to be less of a factor - In my experience.

bluesoul

Reaction score
Either "PFL" or "RFL".

(P= Pretty, R= Really) F? L=Loud.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play on a Fender Vibro Champ XD at home. Usually it is cranked up to around 8. Use the guitars volume and tone controls.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am trying to find some specs on your amp and all I find is a Super Champ XD or X2, I can't find a Vibro Champ. The reason I was looking is that I remember quite a few years ago, a lot of people spoke highly of them having 15w tube power with great tone as well as a few effects and some different voicings. The x2 came out and you could use the Fuse software with it, but I am not sure as to what extent.

truckermde

Reaction score
I used to run mine loud enough so if my wife came in the room, I could see her mouth move, but couldn't hear her.

Marital bliss.

Now I'm consigned to headphones. (sigh) It's actually pretty cool, and I still can't hear her, sooo...

Azmedian

Reaction score
Right now Im running a Fender Super Champ X2 into a Dean Markley 320 watt 4x12

Vol 4
Gain 4
78 Custom Badass Gain 1 oclock Tone 3 oc + Crunch button

Latest Threads