How Long To Warm The Tubes???

LPPILOT

Reaction score
so over 50 years of owning various tube amps , never had one screw up no matter how long between picking and power on. I ususally today hit the pwr ON , as Im tuning up etc. then flip the standby switch . As a 10 year old I was impatient , I was fast and turned both switchs on immediately, the 30 seconds seemed like an eternity. I made alot of noise and not somuch music on that little Fender amp ....but it was all good back then right?
Reverse power down , as i put my guitar away hit standby , and then off as i finish up putting things away some point flip the pwr off.

THDNUT

Reaction score
I let mine warm up for about 5 minutes.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Bud down the skreet had a COLOR by gawd TV! I'd go to his house to watch Wild WIld West...in color, bitches...
Now you can snag a flat from hell at Wally World that'll cover half a garage door for three or four C notes...
My dad bought a new Zenith color TV in the mid '60s. It was the biggest one they made, 25", I think. It was fancy with it's fine wood furniture and all.

It cost him $579!

In 2019 dollars that's $4,662 today! :wow:

I was 13 at the time. I should've convinced him to buy a '59 'Burst. :laugh2:

guitfiddle

Reaction score
On most older tube equipment, the warm up period wasn’t on standby. Once they were warm, the devices would start working. No ‘cool down’ time, either. It just got shut down.

Lotsa myths about tube fragility.
I remember having a little b&w T.V., and the picture tube always started working a little before the sound came on as the amp tubes warmed up. I don't think we ever put new tubes in it over the 15 years or so we had it, and it always worked.

I've never noticed any difference in any of my amps' tone by leaving it on for longer before i start to play. It's after I play for a half hour that I can hear a difference to how the amp sounded at first.

It could be just in my head, or my hearing changing, but warm tubes aren't the whole thing. It's the components and the transformers getting hot, and the speaker(s) getting a workout that make it change most, IMO.

Last edited:

sonar

Reaction score
Fwiw, I've been switching the power and standby on at the same time for the past decade with no ill effects.

From what I can tell the standby switch was Leo Fender overengineering, with no real benefit.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Fwiw, I've been switching the power and standby on at the same time for the past decade with no ill effects.

From what I can tell the standby switch was Leo Fender overengineering, with no real benefit.
Correct, it's not needed. In fact many amps have poorly designed Standby switches that can actually cause problems, but this is such a deeply ingrained belief among guitar players that I usually avoid it. Essentially every amp design that I've sat down and really looked at, that had a Standby switch, would be better off without it. You can just leave all of your Fender amps with the Standby on literally 100% of the time and be completely fine.

RangerJay

Glam Bastard
Premium Member
Reaction score
I usually only wait 30 seconds or so. However, I think that you get the "full" sound out of a tube amp after it heats up completely. I'd say 5 or more minutes, not 30.

I never bother with "cooling down" an amp. I kill the power and let the tubes drop immediately. Never had a problem.

I don't, however, try to play a tube amp immediately. I do at least let it get a bit warm. Maybe voodoo, maybe not.

mdubya

Reaction score
If I want to play, I just fire it up. Sure it sounds better as it warms up, but I don't wait.

If I know I am going to play but have something else to do, I put it on standby until I get to play.

If I am playing my 2204, I leave it on all day and just take it off standby each time I have a chance to play.

Case24

Reaction score
I’m no expert but any amp with a tube rectifier is going to have to have the rectifier warm up before it can pass on B+ to the other tubes. A standby switch is really not necessary in such an amp. With a solid state rectifier, I’m not sure.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
If I am playing my 2204, I leave it on all day and just take it off standby each time I have a chance to play.
This is actually the worst thing that you could do to the amp from a Standby switch usage perspective. Honestly even then it's not that big of a deal, but you are reducing the life of your amp's components this way, and wasting electricity.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Could you please elaborate? Is this related to 'cathode poisoning'?
Instead of typing a lot on my phone, here are some links that get it right from what I see:

I don't know of a single amp that actually needs a Standby switch, or that wouldn't be better designed without one. That's not hyperbole, I'm not aware of a single one.

Last edited:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Instead of typing a lot on my phone, here are some links that get it right from I see:

I don't know of a single amp that actually needs a Standby switch, or that wouldn't be better designed without one. That's not hyperbole, I'm not aware of a single one.
Thanks, man. I will peruse.

mdubya

Reaction score
This is actually the worst thing that you could do to the amp from a Standby switch usage perspective. Honestly even then it's not that big of a deal, but you are reducing the life of your amp's components this way, and wasting electricity.
I don't like what this would do to my electricity bill.
I don't consider the electric bill when I play. :p

The amp is a different beast after it has been on for several hours, though. And knowing this, I look forward to the tonal journey. I would guess I leave the 2204 on for 12-18 hours at a time as often as I don't. :dunno:

I fired it up a week or two ago to A/B it with my digital solutions and it definitely sounded better a half hour in than it did from cold. :jam:

Last edited:

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Instead of typing a lot on my phone, here are some links that get it right from what I see:

Good reads! I followed a few links on the deBont link, too.

I won't worry about leaving my Standby switches in the ON position anymore. Besides, electricity is included in my rent ;)