How long does it take a Les Paul to lighten up?

dscottyg

Reaction score
I have a pretty dark iced tea. Some might say it’s a light bourbon even though sold as an iced tea. I love the color none the less, but I’m just curious, if I kept it facing a well-lit window, does it take weeks or years to start to show a difference?
F3053F60-7CEF-4109-8F15-907A9837F049.jpeg
F55C1AD3-B6FC-4997-982F-0091014ADA06.jpeg
629E7CF7-5F8B-4AC9-A826-C2339654975D.jpeg

Subterfuge

Reaction score
my experience has been that if placed in direct sunlight you will see results fast ... after 5 days you could see the difference

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
my experience has been that if placed in direct sunlight you will see results fast ... after 5 days you could see the difference
I think that is about right, with the emphasis on "direct sunlight". I keep a number of guitars out on racks in a room that gets sunlight (but NOT "direct sunlight", though), and I don't think any of them have changed much at all over many years (at least I don't think so). I always keep all of my Gibsons in cases, though. Even in the case, the binding on my 79 SG Std has sure yellowed (looks pretty cool, actually).

gball

Reaction score
I think that is about right, with the emphasis on "direct sunlight". I keep a number of guitars out on racks in a room that gets sunlight (but NOT "direct sunlight", though), and I don't think any of them have changed much at all over many years (at least I don't think so). I always keep all of my Gibsons in cases, though. Even in the case, the binding on my 79 SG Std has sure yellowed (looks pretty cool, actually).
That's a key thing to remember - the clearcoat is going to yellow a lot faster than the paintjob underneath it is going to lighten, so be prepared for that. I had a 2017 SG Standard in Pelham Blue with the bright white binding and by the time I sold it this past January the binding was already a pale yellow color where the clearcoat covered it and the finish was becoming greenish. This was a guitar that lived in its case unless I was playing it.

Not sure what the recent obsession is with lightening beautiful finishes is, but to each his own.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Not sure what the recent obsession is with lightening beautiful finishes is, but to each his own.
Yeah, there have been a bunch of recent threads on this, huh? It does seem to be a "thing". I am not getting sucked into it, though .... LOL.

Phil W

Reaction score
It depends upon the type of dye/paint used and that varies between Les Paul releases.

Brian N

Reaction score
From what I've seen, placing it in the sun will also cause the finish to start checking way sooner. And you'll have mixed results as far as lightening goes. It's likely to lighten in ways that you didn't expect.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guilty, but I had just cause, the spray job was not ideal in terms of blending in, and was more clown than burst, a few hours under uva/b bulb mellowed enough to get many compliments on the resultant burst.

ARandall

Reaction score
Colourfast dyes are harder to fade, and tend to look anaemic and washed out rather than lighter. Like what happens when you leave plastic furniture outside for a while.

judson

Reaction score
keep it out of the case and play it often....

grab it anytime your near it and play it

it will lighten up in due time

thats a looker :yesway:

Findthetone

Reaction score
It took mine a couple a therapy sessions to lighten up. It was like a whole new guitar.....

el84ster

Reaction score
My 2001 R8 never really did much at all, even after 15 years. But my 2016 R8 began right away with a big difference aver 6 months or so.

msalama

Reaction score
Well, if I was you I'd just leave her well alone parked in the case whenever not in play. Hey, she's GORGEOUS just the way she is!

Latest Threads