How is Your City's Music Scene?

itchybro

Reaction score
Products of my burg.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTEpILnPucY]Superdrag - Amphetamine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTRcL5TNBw]RB Morris - A Winter's Tale - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKXMnA8DUg]Dixie Dirt "Boulevards" - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZbu4bCwXdg]Tim Lee 3 "Get There First" Full Length Video - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY2StTHVvFQ]The V-Roys - Cold Beer Hello - YouTube[/ame]

Here's that last band backing their "producer"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj7euJsUAFE]Steve Earle & The V-Roys - I Feel Alright + Interview UK - YouTube[/ame]

nick1962

Reaction score
indie hell. college town, "the north", nightmare.

i'm about to get back into gigging, and am preparing to be condescended to by spotty twats half my age who reckon they're better.

sigh.

You have some good rock venues! Better than Leicester.....

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ventura lies in the vacuum between LA and Santa Barbara. Not a great live scene here, venue-wise and crowd-wise. The only decent-sized venue is the Majestic Ventura Theater (holds about 750). The clubs are mostly DJed dance, not live, and the few live clubs want covers. Original bands move to either the State Street scene in SB, or get lost in the LA shuffle.

Yeah, when I first came over here to the L.A area, I sent out a few (admittedly very few) "feelers". The impression I got was, not only did you have to sound like someone else, you had to look like someone else also. That seemed pretty ridiculous to me, especially since I was NOT contacting anyone famous or well established.

Seems to me when you are starting from ground zero (as these clowns all were) the goals should be a little more practical. It's NOT as if I were interviewing with RHCP or Ozzie or anyone at that level for chrissake. So I said $#@% that noise.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Unlike Lib and a few others here, I never played the Strip. I had no desire to pay for the privilege of copying someone else's style (Not saying that's what Lib does -- he's put in 20+ years there and has carved out his ability to play his own stuff with his own talent), and I sure didn't have the patience to try and crack the scene. Santa Barbara or the Bay Area always seemed to me more amenable to my style anyways.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's decent. I mean, I live in a major city with I think like 2.5 million people, but it's the midwest and not a huge area, so there's still not as much happening.

Pennyman

Reaction score
There's lots of live music around, plenty of bars & pubs have bands in, but I'm finding it really hard to find good people to jam with. We have a website here dedicated to musicians, and I frequently check the "Musician's Market" for wanted / available people, but it's almost always younger guys who just want to play thrash / metalcore / screamin' heebies, or girls who want to sing Japanese pop songs.

:wtf:

Kashmir

Reaction score
Boston is still one of the greatest modern rock cities. I've spoken with many a big blues folk as well, from Chicago even, who see Boston as one of the best blues music cities today.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I live within 20 minutes of almost every hopping club in Kansas City. Most are closer than that. I've seen what there is to see, and I know I need to get somewhere bigger if I'm going to get anywhere with my visions.

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LibMachine and Gangi already described how it is for rock music; just an obscenely large amount of clubs that host live music, but very little money to be made without some kinda label backing.

The blues scene around here is the same, cept you get paid. :thumb: I sure as hell don't live here for the weather. :shock::laugh2:

3rdstone

Reaction score
Re: How is Your City's Music Scene?
:hmm:... :shock: ...:run::run:!!!

Sad to say, but it SUCKS...Big time!

It went from a thriving live music haven, to a ghostown, almost overnite. There used to be around 30 or 40 paying places to play at, now there is less than 10...:(

Hate to say it, but the live music scene, around here anyway, ain't about to get better anytime soon.

Don't really have one. There are only a few (and by "few", I mean like two or three) places around me that offer live music - One is a "country" bar with a house band (who play pretty much the same set list night, after night, after night, etc), and the other two have such random list of bands/types of music, that it's like they're border-lined bi-polar.

"Detroit Rock City" my ass?

We do have our share of great music events (Motor-City Blues Fest, Rockin' On the River-front, etc), but locally, it SUCKS!

Yep, same up-north brutha...;)

WhippingPost

Reaction score
In the sleepy little town of Iola? There not be one. In nearby Bryan/College Station (of Texas A&M fame)? There's so little of one, that the few bands in the area will cut your throat to get your gig. There or two or three "large" venues that are country only, a few of the many bars on Northgate that might have someone out of the Austin area, and Bryan's Main ST where the established acts in the area rule the few stages. It's a tough scene to get into.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Are you downriver? Blues player? Cover band guy? Metal?

Detroit's blues scene is in decline (despite my knowing some local badasses). The cover bands compete to play cookie-cutter suburban sports bars (for the most part) and the indie scene is still trying to exorcise the ghost of Jack White and the Stooges, IMO. Way too much garage-y slop. It's more of a social scene, really.

The cost of living IS cheaper than other (non-population losing states) places though and that helps offset the costs of dealing with the rampant thuggery in the city (ask me how many musicians I know who've been robbed).

BTW, it's trendy for suburban hipsters to tell people they're 'from' or 'live' in Detroit. Not quite. The ones who do mostly move back to the 'burbs after they grow sick of being targets for crime. Sorry, but it's true.
Yeah. I'm in Southgate (Metro Detroit). And, I totally agree.

Hell, there aren't even any good garage-bands around here, anymore, and the local bands will pretty much take ANY gig, as long as they get to play.

Example: My wife and I went to her 10 year HS reunion a couple of weeks ago, and when we pulled up in the parking lot I noticed that they had hired a live band. I figured that they must have hired some misc. local band, but when we went in, I saw them setting up. It turned out that it was Doin' Time - one of the best Detroit cover-bands that I've seen. The only problem? Out of 80-90 people, I was probably the only person in the room, that was actually listening to the music (or probably the only one old enough to actually appreciate it)?

mdubya

Reaction score
I could tell you about the DC and Baltimore music scene in the 80s and 90s. Now I am too out of touch.

Last time I was in DC, I stopped in the 2 supposed nightlife areas and it was all very upstanding adults in their 30s and 40s cruising around. The only people that even looked like young people were a couple of sad mid 30's hipsters. In reality, there were no young 20 somethings around.

Even when I went to a couple of shows at the 930 Club in the early 2000s the crowd was older and much more clean cut than I would expect or was used to.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back in the day, those streets were mobbed with trendy young people.

I now live an hour from two different college towns. One is Morgantown, WV. They have a great college radio station that I tune in every time I can. Pittsburgh is 2 hours north, DC and Baltimore are 3 hours east.

MLP and youtube are my music scene. :D

hobbyman

Reaction score
Okay, I live about 100 miles from what would be considered a good sized city (Albuquerque). I've been to Albuquerque three times in the last five years, so I can't speak for the music scene there.

I live in the northern part of the state, where music in Spanish is very popular. Not Rock en Espanol or anything like that, but what we call around here 'New Mexico Music'. It basically consists of old Mexican songs that have been given a local flavor, much like Tejano music in Texas (think Little Joe, for those of you Texans who know who he is). The music usually incorporates guitars with a horn section. The most popular performer of this music is this guy:

Al Hurricane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's considered a legend around here. The guy has played guitar for several famous, big name artists like Fats Domino and Chubby Checker. I grew up listening to him play his 'New Mexico Music' and I've always been a fan. He's getting up in age, and a lot of musicians around here try to emulate him...BUT, (IMHO), they SUCK! Every musician in my area wants to play like him or play his style of music, but they can't cut it. I wish someone would start playing Blues or Rock, but NOOOO!, they are all Al Hurricane wanna-be's! In short, we have a very-limited to NO music scene around my area.

Anyway, I'll leave you with a sample of Al Hurricane's playing. It's the only song I found in English - Johnny B. Goode. He starts out messing around, but gets into it pretty good!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NXwn2aKl8&feature=related]Al Hurricane Johnny B Goode - YouTube[/ame]

Latest Threads