How is Your City's Music Scene?

Reaction score
Guys, I might be crazy, but I don't think he's asking about "concert" scene, but "gig" scene -- two different stories. Tell your stories about your local circuits.

Local clubs here in Hollywood,Burbank, North Hollywood, Silver Lake, Los Angeles etc... are still really busy and happenin' places to gig. You still have to "pay to play" until you develope a considerable fanbase/following. Tourism keeps the popular clubs and bars full at all times, and there's no shortage of new arrival bands/musicians coming here to "get discovered" from all over the planet. Open mic nights at coffee houses and dive bars (with stages) are super cool ways to work out your band's sets without having to pay to play....and sometimes you'll leave with some cash in your pocket and free booze. There's also a few free music scene press mags that do write ups on unknown bands/musicians while reviewing a particular "happening" hole in the wall club that just popped up. So yeah, It's still very cool here.

Username1

Reaction score
It's half great half terrible, but i imagine that most music scenes have their better acts and lesser ones

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Another cool thread, Skinny! :thumb:

Daytona Beach is mainly a pickup band sort of place. Once in a while, a local group will form that attempts to stay together under a given name, but these are actually in the minority and are notoriously short-lived. Even the Allman Joys found it necessary to split for Jacksonville and to re-form with a new lineup as the Allman Brothers Band before they could get anywhere. But then, a lot of really great Southern Rock bands came out of Jacksonville back in the day...

The Orlando metro area is about the same as Daytona, except that the musicians are usually a cut above what one finds on the beach. And though I live closer to Daytona than to Orlando, I have noticed that the live music being played around here is usually being performed by musicians from Orlando. Never have seen a Daytona outfit back here-- not even a pickup band, not even once. Funny thing about the coastal dwellers: they really don't seem to like to venture too far inland, but instead tend to stick to the shores and their idea of civilization. No big loss there, really, but it's strange to reflect that one is more liable to hear really excellent music in silly little Deland than in world-famous Daytona Beach.

--R

RetropM

Reaction score
Richmond, VA... I don't like talking about it. It's all a bunch of metal bands who want to be the next Lamb of God (They are from Richmond for those of you who don't know) and it's all the same people, playing the same shit music. Once a year or so about 3/4 of the bands break up and the members just shuffle around to other "new" bands, all of whom play the same music. Then a year or two later a few of them reform their original bands claiming it's a reunion with the original members and expect people to give a crap. Sadly, I am serious, talking about local bands here who have never had a gig outside of the city unless it was opening for a friend's band and they all want you to treat them like rock stars. Most bands and music in RVA are more about the scene than the music sadly. Beyond that it's a bunch of indie crap and the few decent bands get lost in the shuffle.

At least we get Lindy Fralin, also a Richmond resident and a great guy to deal with in person. Also, plenty of great gig opportunities if you don't let the scene get you down.

chazza

Reaction score
My closest town's scene is ok. There is only one dedicated live music club but there are a couple of dozen pubs and bars that will put on live music.
However, I am only 40 miles from London, which has pretty much everything you could ask for.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Don't really have one. There are only a few (and by "few", I mean like two or three) places around me that offer live music - One is a "country" bar with a house band (who play pretty much the same set list night, after night, after night, etc), and the other two have such random list of bands/types of music, that it's like they're border-lined bi-polar.

"Detroit Rock City" my ass?

We do have our share of great music events (Motor-City Blues Fest, Rockin' On the River-front, etc), but locally, it SUCKS!

jcsk8

Reaction score
In the city I live is mediocre. Bigger cities around are so so. Rock is not a popular style here, nor blues or jazz. Just crappy comercial brazilian music. For the country well, I think brazilian music fame speaks for itselfs.

lunchbox

Reaction score
San Luis Obispo, CA.

There's one main club that gets touring acts (Downtown Brew), and a few small clubs for local bands (Z Club, Frog & Peach, Sweet Springs). There's also some places in just north in Atascadero and Paso Robles that have local bands. Santa Maria, 30 mins south, also has some clubs to play at.

Small college town, but it doesn't seem like the students are all that into going to see bands. They may happen to be at the club that you're playing, but I don't think most of them are there to see the bands.

Expensive place to live, not a lot of job opportunities, so definitely not for the struggling musician. There's no exposure to music industry here anyways, so you'll need to go south to hell-a.

Great place to live though, and there's a small, dedicated hard rock scene and a few really good local bands (Meth Leppard, Ogoun, my band-ManoDiablo). There's also a big market for blues and classic rock, but that's not my thing.

hudpucker

Reaction score
Don't really have one. There are only a few (and by "few", I mean like two or three) places around me that offer live music - One is a "country" bar with a house band (who play pretty much the same set list night, after night, after night, etc), and the other two have such random list of bands/types of music, that it's like they're border-lined bi-polar.

"Detroit Rock City" my ass?

We do have our share of great music events (Motor-City Blues Fest, Rockin' On the River-front, etc), but locally, it SUCKS!

Are you downriver? Blues player? Cover band guy? Metal?

Detroit's blues scene is in decline (despite my knowing some local badasses). The cover bands compete to play cookie-cutter suburban sports bars (for the most part) and the indie scene is still trying to exorcise the ghost of Jack White and the Stooges, IMO. Way too much garage-y slop. It's more of a social scene, really.

The cost of living IS cheaper than other (non-population losing states) places though and that helps offset the costs of dealing with the rampant thuggery in the city (ask me how many musicians I know who've been robbed).

BTW, it's trendy for suburban hipsters to tell people they're 'from' or 'live' in Detroit. Not quite. The ones who do mostly move back to the 'burbs after they grow sick of being targets for crime. Sorry, but it's true.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Guys, I might be crazy, but I don't think he's asking about "concert" scene, but "gig" scene -- two different stories. Tell your stories about your local circuits.

well, they're still kinda linked with me. when i was a teenager in my first band i played Rock City a couple of times, and metal fans have probably heard of that. we've got four levels of venue -

capital FM Arena - 10,000 seater venue. Saw Tool there, took my dad.

royal centre - place where opera and musicals go. also Middle of road balladeers.

Rock City - sweaty, sticky, noisy rock city.

then a bunch of smaller ones - the Rescue Rooms springs to mind. couple of hundred capacity, place where 90s alternative acts go to die.

jlu52

ignoramus maximus emeritus
Reaction score
Connecticut is pretty active in all phases, gigging and concerts. Several nationally popular colleges/universities are here, lots of entertainment sites employing musicians. Competition is high, lot of musicians here as well. I love being old and playing at home. I can have a concert in my mind every day:).

Slick

Reaction score
Sheffield is pretty good, many different levels from bars to the Leadmill which is a few hundred or so venue to the 02 acadamy which is a couple of thousand to the Sheffield Motorpoint Arena which does up to 14,000.

Rankelson

Reaction score
Cardiff has always been renowned as a great live music scene
Lots of Genres,open mike nights,
has kept a high standard since the 60's
The surrounding towns in the Welsh Valleys'
Are bastions of Metal :D

Latest Threads