How in the hell do people stay married?

chriseskew24

Reaction score
I am ready to throw in the towel. Every f&$king time I play lately she is in here within 5 minutes can you turn it down, I have really sensitive ears blah blah blah.

If I was cranking it up that would be one thing but I am playing at bedroom levels. My only release in life is my playing. I bust my ass running two companies at the same time so that she can be a stay at home mom, and every time I get a free moment to do what I love she is in here asking me to turn it down/off.

I will not live my entire life like this. I don't drink, do drugs, party nothing. All I do is work and play music.

I told her we need a bigger house so I can have my own wing and I never have to here shit again. (in my heart I know even then she would bust my nuts about something). Completely over it.

Right now if I didn't have a 7 month old son I would already be gone. I will stick it out for at least the next 18 years though.

Sucks feeling this way about life but it is what it is.

chriseskew24

Reaction score
When last session ends in you throwing your guitar on the ground it's time to move on!

DRF

Reaction score
An equal give n take,or one gives in more than another.

GammyBird

Reaction score
I use one of these from time to time....fyi, I like the AC30 the best.

Vox_amPlug.jpg

The Refugee

Reaction score
Do you have an amp that you can use headphones with? My fender Mustang II has that option. Not always ideal, but you would hear it and she wouldn't

Hope it works out.

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
The time you're spending playing the guitar is time she has to sit an resent your guitar playing. I guarantee you she doesn't see it as your release, but a leftover from your bachelor life.

Some women really like when their man plays guitar and are supportive of it. She doesn't sound like one of them. So you make her understand, or you end up divorced.

Kezman

Reaction score
When the wife is home:
Headphones through Marshall mg 15 fx

When the wife is not home:
Jim Root #4 Terror Head w/212 Orange cab.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Chris, My wife got headaches everytime I turned On the Fuzz. I know she likes hot chocalate. I would "innocently" give her hot chocolate every time I played. I also light a candle. Thus creating a romantic enviornment. I did TONE DOWN THE FUZZ! When I got married I was INTENT on Volume. I believe in NATURAL saturation. Well, I decided to work on dynamics while I got her "used" to my style. It took time.

I kept reinforcing the enviornment. Hot Chocolate+Warm lighting +Crap guitar. I slowly raised the Vol+Fuzz. Now, She doesn't even notice. Go in increments. Otherwise headphones in the line-out. Rent a storage space and DESTROY your mind +ears. Good luck.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear things are like this for you, Chris.

Hope the situation improves...

--R

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
Seriously.
It's a temporary situation, and her feelings are important right now.
I went through it with the children, and her "nesting" syndrome, but it goes
away as you both do your jobs.

Good that you are busy.
Again, I did the same at those times...insanely busy with work and the store,
and everything else.
My wife still doesn't really care about my playing but never has to tell me to turn it down.
I have all that in my attached two car garage and have to get VERY loud for anyone on the bedroom end of the house to hear it.

I guess that's another thing.
Either a detached space or an isolated garage is the place for a guitarist that's trying to keep his own "cave".
When we went shopping for our first house 20 years ago (this one), I was looking at garages and buildings, as she shopped for the house.
I got what I wanted.
And so did she!

:D

Peace!

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
Or, make it loud and clear you are going to the tit bar rather than fooling around with guitar.
She'll settle down after a couple of weeks.

:laugh2:

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
Give and take... 20 years. Yes my guitars are part of my bachelor life. That place I get to visit that does not take me to the strip clubs, bars, and pharmacies...
Like Fezz said, give her a bit. Maybe get a set up that takes some headphones. I put mine on every so often but not always. When she not here, it goes to 11.. Good luck!

57VOS

Reaction score
I understand. You are only trying to relax and have a little fun doing something you love.

But you cannot get to that "relaxed - fun" feeling while playing - because in the back of your mind, the entire time you are playing - you KNOW you are in deep trouble.

LPJR

Reaction score
It sucks I know, if dwell on it too much you will reach a breaking point.
Hell, just the stress of work & an infant child is more than enough to deal with.
Throw in the stress of a nagging wife, "breakdown"!
Have a sit down heart to heart with the wife

Best of luck

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Give her $100 and tell her there's a shoe sale going on. GTFO...at least for a few hours.

Or....buy her a drum kit. :thumb:

Howard2k

Reaction score
It may be her way of saying "What the **** are you doing chilling out while I'm struggling with a 7 month old?"

And I could be totally wrong. Young kids are tough, my little guy is two. Between him, my shoulder injury, and work, I get **** all time to play at the moment. But hey, it just means that I appreciate those minutes more and more. Kids are tough. Marriage is tough. Maybe next time before you go and play tell her "Hey I'm going to go play guitar shortly, but before I do why don't you go and have a time-out". Whatever it is that she does - read a book, have a smoke, whatever she does. I'd give that a shot.

Latest Threads