How important it weight to you?

zontar

Reaction score
If you don't have a physical issue with weight--I wouldn't worry about it.

My LP is just under 10 pounds.
I couldn't wear it for a whole night any more.
But I can wear it for a little while.

My problem is more with standing for longer periods of time though, not the weight I have strapped on.

vortexx

Reaction score
The lighter wood is considered better and harder to find these days. If it has a great top weight wouldn't be an issue for most buyers if you were to resell it.

solsurfr

Reaction score
My back couldn't take that weight during a 4hr gig... but then again, I'm old. :laugh2:

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Food for thought, just how accurate is the scale being used? Calibrated recently? Maybe check the guitar on another scale?

ctkarslake

Reaction score

Ever played an SG? There's more mass in the neck than the body so as soon as you let go of the neck it starts to fall to the floor-not a good thing. This happens on my lightest/chambered LP. I like my necks to stay put. That said, the lighter (8 1/4lbs) Elegant is just as fine sounding as the heavier guitars I have. Gotta be over 9 to have that special balance!

Callaway

Reaction score
My old Norlin Customs used to be bears during long gigs even on 4" straps, my newest my R9 which goes 8 .11 seems to be about average to what other I've had in the Standard/Deluxes line have been. Don't get me wrong too heavy is too much for me anymore unless your young it takes a toll over the years and catches up to you. So I would say yes weight is now more important to me than it used to be 40 years ago, weight doesn't necessarily guarantee great tone sometimes it's just weight.

cryptozoo

Reaction score
weight is way important.
an LP has to be 8 3/4 lbs or over so that the neck doesn't dive on you. HATE THAT!

This just isn't true. I've owned many LPs of all weights, including a few under 8 3/4lbs. I've got a chambered one right now that's just over 7lbs. None of them have or had even a HINT of 'neck dive' or any balancing issues, whatsoever.

Kanga Blue

Reaction score
I like my girls to be slight, light and easy to get into various positions...

ventura

Reaction score
I like my girls to be slight, light and easy to get into various positions...

So they can clean things better? :applause: That was by FAR the most loser comment I've made, but it was such a perfect set up for it...

I dig ladies. Respect 'em to the nines. Never had a problem with 'em :naughty:

V.

Lemonhead

Reaction score
This just isn't true. I've owned many LPs of all weights, including a few under 8 3/4lbs. I've got a chambered one right now that's just over 7lbs. None of them have or had even a HINT of 'neck dive' or any balancing issues, whatsoever.

yep:)

ctkarslake

Reaction score

Interesting, I guess the neck on my chambered is on the too dense side to mantain balance darn it! Thanks for the enlightenment.

River

Reaction score
Necks don't dive wearing straps that don't slip. :)

Kanga Blue

Reaction score
So they can clean things better? :applause: That was by FAR the most loser comment I've made, but it was such a perfect set up for it...

I dig ladies. Respect 'em to the nines. Never had a problem with 'em :naughty:

V.

Hey Ace,
When a girl is good she's good, but when she is bad she's even better!

I am relieved now I have her off my chest!

fretboarder

Reaction score
i wouldnt give a monkeys what weight it was aslong as it sounded amazing..but id rather have a guitar i can feel in my hands rather than something that feels featherweight.

tpeazy

Reaction score
My R9 is on the heavier side at 9.4, but she plays absolutely beautifully. So far I have not found the weight to be an issue (spent hours with her strapped around my neck yesterday). I am a big guy though.
Sounds like a great price for very nice guitar.
If something is already close to 9lbs is a few ounces gonna make that much of a difference? At the end of the day, most solid body LP's are heavy as f**k compared to other guitars.

Motorcycle

Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party here but in relation to this thread I thought this might be interesting. According to the three dealers I've spoken with over the last few weeks the biggest factor in resale is the top. According to the dealer with the biggest turn-over in R9's, "the stupider the top the faster the sale, mediocre tops gather dust" in his view weight doesn't matter, tone doesn't matter, playability doesn't matter, mineral streaks matter to some - not others. In the end crazy figuring = fast sale.

Not necessarily my opinion, but it is food for thought.

thegrapeguy

Reaction score
My R9 Stinger weighs 8.6 lbs. I've played some LP's heavier and some lighter and what matters to me most is tone. I was initially a bit worried prior to buying my LP with the "lighter" weight but upon arrival and inspection and playing and recording I was so relieved to hear unbelievable tone. I can provide a link to a recording using this guitar if the original author of the thread wants to hear something coming from an 8.6er.

The Stingers were built to strive for the best in tone using woods specially chosen for tone. I'm thrilled with the tone of my guitar and it is not twangy. I know tone is subjective but how can weight really be quantified? Weight is related to the wood used and unless you do crucial listening and recording we'll never know what effect weight has on a guitar's tone.

You'd have to record several LP's using the same amp and mic setup, same settings on the guitar, same song and musical passages and then have people vote on their favorite tones.

From an economic standpoint I agree with the poster who mentioned the top is the biggest determining factor, assuming the rest of the guitar is sound, weight I believe if between 8-10 lbs is fine for a LP.

fretboarder

Reaction score
My R9 Stinger weighs 8.6 lbs. I've played some LP's heavier and some lighter and what matters to me most is tone. I was initially a bit worried prior to buying my LP with the "lighter" weight but upon arrival and inspection and playing and recording I was so relieved to hear unbelievable tone. I can provide a link to a recording using this guitar if the original author of the thread wants to hear something coming from an 8.6er.

The Stingers were built to strive for the best in tone using woods specially chosen for tone. I'm thrilled with the tone of my guitar and it is not twangy. I know tone is subjective but how can weight really be quantified? Weight is related to the wood used and unless you do crucial listening and recording we'll never know what effect weight has on a guitar's tone.

You'd have to record several LP's using the same amp and mic setup, same settings on the guitar, same song and musical passages and then have people vote on their favorite tones.

From an economic standpoint I agree with the poster who mentioned the top is the biggest determining factor, assuming the rest of the guitar is sound, weight I believe if between 8-10 lbs is fine for a LP.

i'd love to hear some sound clips from your stinger they have a braz board yes?

cheers :thumb:

thegrapeguy

Reaction score
Yeh Fretboarder it's got the Brazilian board but to me more than the Brazilian and Eastern Maple the amplifier really shapes the tone when it comes to distortion. What I like about my guitar is the 8.6 lbs, feels just right, and the quality of the construction, also the big fat neck...

Latest Threads