How important it weight to you?

Jonny333

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I need as many replies as quickly as possible!
I am looking to buy a beautiful 2007 Gibson Les Paul R9 in great condition for $3500 including shipping. It weighs 9.6lbs which as you know is pretty heavy for an R9. However, how important would that be to you guys if you were purchasing one?
I am not intending to sell it on, and it doesn't bother me personally, however, It is a massive investment for me so incase I didn't work out I would like to know if I will be at a big disadvantage selling it on due to the weight?
Thanks in advance!

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
It's not important to me at all as long as it's not freakin' 12 lbs. or something equally ridiculous. Somewhere between 10 and 11 lbs. would be my limit.

Meaning any guitar. I doubt you'll ever find an Historic that heavy. :laugh2:

River

Reaction score
9.6 is too heavy for an R9 for me, unless it plays perfectly. 10 is my preferred limit for any LP, and I'd expect an R9 to be well under that. So if I were the prospective buyer yes, it'd be an impediment. But it wouldn't keep me from paying top dollar for it were it otherwise eminently playable.

Jonny333

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys,
River, when you say playable, what exactly do you mean? well set up, toneful, good neck...etc?
Keep the opinions coming though everyone, the more the merrier!

eldiablo

Reaction score
Really up to the individual. 9.6 is on the heavy side to me.
Especially for an R9... but again it's up to you...

My R9 is very light at 8.1 lbs...
My R8 is 9.2 lbs...
They are both great in their own way.

make sure you have the option to return it if you don't like it.

River

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys,
River, when you say playable, what exactly do you mean? well set up, toneful, good neck...etc?
Keep the opinions coming though everyone, the more the merrier!
Nut cut properly, no high frets, neck that's comfortable for me and will sit perfectly flat and straight should I take all of the relief out of it.

As long as the pots aren't scratchy or the pickups microphonic, I'd deal with any "tonal challenges" via EQ and amp.

Marc

Reaction score
I'd want it to be lighter for that kind of money.

jerryo

Reaction score
My heavier LP's sound Warmer and less twangy than the lighter ones

I have Strats if I want TWANG !

BigBadWolf1171

Reaction score
aside from any sound difference, the weight of it wouldnt bother me at all.

Jonny333

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
As for what Jerry was talking bout... has anyone else noticed consistent tonal differences in the different weights of les pauls? Is so explain! And keep the weight opinions coming! Really appreciate it everyone.

sheldonlevene

Reaction score
have a few beers. in my experience, that makes weight less and less of an issue.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
If it doesn't bother you, than this shouldn't be an issue.
My R9 is 8.2 lbs and trust me, it's not twangy.

River

Reaction score
<snip>has anyone else noticed consistent tonal differences in the different weights of les pauls? Is so explain! <snip>
Not me. To the extent wood makes any difference when the pickups are different anyway, I think weight would have the least effect of all - in my opinion none.

cryptozoo

Reaction score
As with most things LP-related: to the buyer, weight is everything. To the seller, it's nothing.

weirdotis

Reaction score
As long as it's good quality wood, I don't care. Ain't nothin' that can't be fixed with a decent strap.

oldgtarz

Reaction score
Having a history of back injuries, I prefer light Les Paul's. That led me to a Chambered Reissue and I now even my light R9 and R7 feel heavy...
Oh, the sound is all there too!

Jonny333

Reaction score
Thanks guys, lot's of different opinions! Keep them coming. I will let you know in the next 24 hours what I choose to do.

Lemonhead

Reaction score
There are so many Historics out there that it doesn't make sense to me to get a heavy one. It will be much easier to unload a light one if you have to at some point. I know you don't want to think about that right now, but it is a factor.

If you were talking about a rare/vintage piece, then it would be a different scenario.

If you are concerned with the weight before the purchase, every damn time you pick it up you will think about how heavy it is. It's a psychological mind fuck.:)

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Did we post enough replies quickly enough for the OP? Was it some kind of contest?

theyre_here.gif

LPV

Reaction score
If she's pretty and has a nice personality, who cares.

Latest Threads