How important is the word "Gibson" on your headstock.

radiomatts

Reaction score
Would you take a Porsche that doesn't say Porsche anywhere on it? The appeal of a brand outside the ones that matter most is that logo. Someone said that there are players who dream of owning one, and seeing that logo is like a dream come true.

It really doesn't matter what you dream of playing or really love playing. The is a certain satisfaction to seeing a logo that you feel either joy or pride from. For example, I own three Gibsons but am endorsed by Vintage/Fret King. I love showing off my Icon V52 as much as my '77 Flying V. Wave the flag of what brings you joy. It really is that simple.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in a brand you like. I have six Gibsons, none of them high end; three were quite cheap. I like owning Gibsons, but my other ten have different names.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess a better question is,

Are you embarrassed with the logo on your headstock?

Squier
Hondo
Ibanez
Epiphone
LTD esp

??

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have upper line Gibs/Fenders and an old Kubicki Custom full build Tele...and this....
1980 Ibanez Blazer (three digit #) which is on my 'never sell' list for my son when my collection goes to him.... I love playing it as much as any of mine... It plays and sounds killer....

(web pic snag but likemine with the early short lived headstock, brass bridge/saddles)

1605915267131.png

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple MIJ Squiers from 1984 that are Keepers and not one bit ashamed of them either.... but I know there some folks would be.... just because of the name.

Though my friends are just shocked how good they are.

The two on the left are my Squiers

75432842-2DBF-47F3-ADFA-BB3B56CAE5C7.jpeg

I have upper line Gibs/Fenders and an old Kubicki Custom full build Tele...and this....
1980 Ibanez Blazer (three digit #) which is on my 'never sell' list for my son when my collection goes to him.... I love playing it as much as any of mine... It plays and sounds killer....

(web pic snag but likemine with the early short lived headstock, brass bridge/saddles)

View attachment 501073

scalibur

Reaction score
It comes down to playability, resale value, and how much you can get it for. I would buy a real Gibson without Gibson on the headstock if I thought I could make a profit. I’ve bought several Mexican Fenders with Made in Mexico scratched out for resale. Luckily the serials were intact.

Lester

Reaction score
I remove all badges from my cars...
Would you take a Porsche that doesn't say Porsche anywhere on it?
Absolutely.

I remove all badges from my cars except in cases where it looks odd (like a hood badge that fits in a recess and/or has mounting pins). If you're not tuned in enough to know what it is I don't care; it doesn't matter to me. I think all cars look better without badges as a rule.

Then again, I wouldn't buy a "signature" model guitar because of who's "signature" it was ... or a guitar played by someone famous just because they signed it (short of an investment/ put it away purchase). I buy guitars to play them. If they are good then it doesn't matter what it says on it.

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it isn't misspelled, it's good.

Max Max

Reaction score
It's not that having the word "Gibson" on the headstock is important to me, it's that a company cares enough and stands behind that guitar enough to put their name on the headstock. Nothing against Epiphone or Squier, they are putting out great stuff these days. I just watched an interview with Jack Higginbotham of PRS, he's the head of the PRS SE line. He said it took years to convince Paul to put his signature on the SE guitars, they simply weren't good enough to carry the name.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I'm not gonna bullshit anybody, having the name Gibson on the headstock is important to me. It's part of the psychological enjoyment of my instrument.

Last edited:

palmerfralick

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I am not sure if this sort of question was proposed before.

How important is to you that the name/word Gibson appears on your headstock?

Let me pose the question this way...

If I was to say to you that I would give you 25% of the total cost that you paid for your Les Paul, if.... you would allow for the name Gibson to magically disappear from the headstock? Of course knowing full well that it is still a Gibson.

Would you do it?
or
You must,.. must have that 6 lettered word there.

Just wondering, and I look foward to hearing your responses.

Good Evening/Day

Greg

well I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say since I paid money for a Gibson specifically I expect to see the iconic logo on the headstock. Now if it was a chibson I would prefer it was blank. I also get a kick out of seeing Toyota Land Cruiser on the back of my vehicle so I might be a brand snob but I firmly believe both of these items are the pinnacle of their respective category.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I had an epiphone, played it as my main guitar for almost 7 years. But as much as I loved that guitar, it still wasn't a Gibson and didn't scratch that itch for me. Can't explain why, maybe i'm superficial, but name brand matters to me. I've got some Squiers, Epiphones, but the history and prestige behind the names really adds an extra bit of coolness that makes me proud to play that instrument. I know I'm playing the real deal, and not a copy or an imitation. Also, no denying, Gibson's are better than Epiphones, are they $1500 better? Probably not, but even that little extra improvement and the history and prestige of the name is worth the price for me. But, I say to each their own. Anyone who can look past the name can get some stellar guitars and save a nice bit of cash along the way, which is great.

Roxy13

Reaction score
It's only important to me if it's a Gibson.

If it is a Tokai, I expect it to say Tokai. If it's a Greco, I expect it to say Greco, etc.

I won't buy a guitar if someone put a fake Gibson headstock overlay on it. I saw a great looking Greco the other day that was a model I've wanted for some time, but someone had changed the headstock overlay to Gibson so I passed on it. And I would never buy a Chibson.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
It's only important to me if it's a Gibson.
Yes, it is very important to say "Gibson" and truly be a Gibson.

Near-Fraud Alert: At one point, though, I was considering getting a Chibson Ace Frehley model as I thought it would make a good project, and -- worst case -- would look good hanging on a wall as there is so much bling on those guitars. But, in the end, I could not support the illegal Gibson-imitation market so I never did it. Was very tempted though ...

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Yes, it is very important to say "Gibson" and truly be a Gibson.

Near-Fraud Alert: At one point, though, I was considering getting a Chibson Ace Frehley model as I thought it would make a good project, and -- worst case -- would look good hanging on a wall as there is so much bling on those guitars. But, in the end, I could not support the illegal Gibson-imitation market so I never did it. Was very tempted though ...
I've had my hands on a few Chibsons that people bought for that reason. Upgrade the pickups, good looking wall hanger, "gig guitar", etc.

To be honest I've never found them that good looking. They look cheap, even from a distance.

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
Playability is ultra important.

To that point, I spend nearly 3grand on a guitar vs I spend under 2, and it's the same brand, but a "lesser model", if folks get wrapped up in that then that's the problem.

I could give 2 fucks what brand a guitar is. Make the motherfucker sing.

There are countless rockstars and professional guitar players that could make lower level guitars bang.

I like my gibsons, but my favorite guitar I had and got rod of years ago was an epi LP p90 studio (if I recall)

Latest Threads