How important is the word "Gibson" on your headstock.

radiomatts

Reaction score
Would you take a Porsche that doesn't say Porsche anywhere on it? The appeal of a brand outside the ones that matter most is that logo. Someone said that there are players who dream of owning one, and seeing that logo is like a dream come true.

It really doesn't matter what you dream of playing or really love playing. The is a certain satisfaction to seeing a logo that you feel either joy or pride from. For example, I own three Gibsons but am endorsed by Vintage/Fret King. I love showing off my Icon V52 as much as my '77 Flying V. Wave the flag of what brings you joy. It really is that simple.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with having a bit of pride in a brand you like. I have six Gibsons, none of them high end; three were quite cheap. I like owning Gibsons, but my other ten have different names.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess a better question is,

Are you embarrassed with the logo on your headstock?

Squier
Hondo
Ibanez
Epiphone
LTD esp

??

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have upper line Gibs/Fenders and an old Kubicki Custom full build Tele...and this....
1980 Ibanez Blazer (three digit #) which is on my 'never sell' list for my son when my collection goes to him.... I love playing it as much as any of mine... It plays and sounds killer....

(web pic snag but likemine with the early short lived headstock, brass bridge/saddles)

1605915267131.png

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a couple MIJ Squiers from 1984 that are Keepers and not one bit ashamed of them either.... but I know there some folks would be.... just because of the name.

Though my friends are just shocked how good they are.

The two on the left are my Squiers

75432842-2DBF-47F3-ADFA-BB3B56CAE5C7.jpeg

I have upper line Gibs/Fenders and an old Kubicki Custom full build Tele...and this....
1980 Ibanez Blazer (three digit #) which is on my 'never sell' list for my son when my collection goes to him.... I love playing it as much as any of mine... It plays and sounds killer....

(web pic snag but likemine with the early short lived headstock, brass bridge/saddles)

View attachment 501073

scalibur

Reaction score
It comes down to playability, resale value, and how much you can get it for. I would buy a real Gibson without Gibson on the headstock if I thought I could make a profit. I’ve bought several Mexican Fenders with Made in Mexico scratched out for resale. Luckily the serials were intact.

Lester

Reaction score
I remove all badges from my cars...
Would you take a Porsche that doesn't say Porsche anywhere on it?
Absolutely.

I remove all badges from my cars except in cases where it looks odd (like a hood badge that fits in a recess and/or has mounting pins). If you're not tuned in enough to know what it is I don't care; it doesn't matter to me. I think all cars look better without badges as a rule.

Then again, I wouldn't buy a "signature" model guitar because of who's "signature" it was ... or a guitar played by someone famous just because they signed it (short of an investment/ put it away purchase). I buy guitars to play them. If they are good then it doesn't matter what it says on it.

Last edited:

Latest Threads