How important is the word "Gibson" on your headstock.

JimmyKrackCorn

Reaction score
Sorry folks—I jumped into this thread at the last minute, & probably missed some great perspectives. I’m frantically searching for ANY information I can find out about ASTON Les Paul copies. They seem to be in that sweet spot for the 70’s “ lawsuit Les Paul copies.” Headstock is a perfect imitation of the classic Gibson “mustache” which was very prevalent in about ALL of the various companies that were producing Les Paul copies in Japan. I’m assuming that it was manufactured in Japan, but anything else from me would be pointless speculation. I have a very small collection of Gibson’s, & Epiphone’s—about 12 in all, & I’ve wondered over the years if one of these MIJ Les Paul imitations would ever be invited to my little music room. Tonight I have the opportunity to pick up what appears to be a stunning version of a very vibrant burst...& I can’t seem to find out any info on these guitars. Any help? PLEASE? I’m only going by the photos supplied by the seller, but 23 frets, appear to have something close to abalone as the inlay on the trapezoidal inlays; nut looks like it might possibly be bone, but more than likely it’s just aged plastic; bolt-on neck rather than a set-neck; no serial #’s on back of headstock, nor any identifiers on neck bolt plate or elsewhere other than ASTON in gold lettering on headstock; machine heads/ tuners are nondescript chrome looking things that actually look better made than most of the fake grovers I see ending up on a lot of the Chinese made Epiphones manufactured in the past decade or so. I will say that the color hues of the sunburst are very vibrant—just the right amount of red’s, & gold’s, & it’s hard to say without holding it but it sure looks like a maple top.
Thank you one & all for bearing with me, & my first post to this wonderful group of Les Paul enthusiasts!

Jimmy
Jimmy KrackCorn

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
I want the thing my heroes play/played, as closely as reasonably possible. The logo is part of it, as are all the other cosmetic aspects, and as is the sound. It's not about being seen to have a Gibson, it's about actually having a Gibson, with all that comes with it, logo included

truckermde

Reaction score
Sorry folks—I jumped into this thread at the last minute, & probably missed some great perspectives. I’m frantically searching for ANY information I can find out about ASTON Les Paul copies. They seem to be in that sweet spot for the 70’s “ lawsuit Les Paul copies.” Headstock is a perfect imitation of the classic Gibson “mustache” which was very prevalent in about ALL of the various companies that were producing Les Paul copies in Japan. I’m assuming that it was manufactured in Japan, but anything else from me would be pointless speculation. I have a very small collection of Gibson’s, & Epiphone’s—about 12 in all, & I’ve wondered over the years if one of these MIJ Les Paul imitations would ever be invited to my little music room. Tonight I have the opportunity to pick up what appears to be a stunning version of a very vibrant burst...& I can’t seem to find out any info on these guitars. Any help? PLEASE? I’m only going by the photos supplied by the seller, but 23 frets, appear to have something close to abalone as the inlay on the trapezoidal inlays; nut looks like it might possibly be bone, but more than likely it’s just aged plastic; bolt-on neck rather than a set-neck; no serial #’s on back of headstock, nor any identifiers on neck bolt plate or elsewhere other than ASTON in gold lettering on headstock; machine heads/ tuners are nondescript chrome looking things that actually look better made than most of the fake grovers I see ending up on a lot of the Chinese made Epiphones manufactured in the past decade or so. I will say that the color hues of the sunburst are very vibrant—just the right amount of red’s, & gold’s, & it’s hard to say without holding it but it sure looks like a maple top.
Thank you one & all for bearing with me, & my first post to this wonderful group of Les Paul enthusiasts!

Jimmy
Jimmy KrackCorn
Jimmy, you're gonna want to ask this question in a new thread you start on the https://www.mylespaul.com/forum/other-single-cuts.9/ subforum.

Good luck, & welcome!! :)

PAPADON

Reaction score
Sooner or later you reach an age where trying to impress folks just doesn't do it for you like it once did. I'm 73 and sometime between 08 when I bought the Gibson and last year when my hair line finally reached the back of my head and I bought the Agile I got to where I just don't care about that crap anymore. Other than a new set of pick ups and the fact that the Agile came with a better finish and more binding there isn't a lick of music making difference between the two.

1605836842479.png

1605836909851.png

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
Another thread rises from the dead. I like my guitars to say whatever make they actually are. I try to avoid both self-delusion and lying.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not as important as playability and tone. I didn't read this entire old dead thread but i'm sure this was already mentioned.
If not..............there you go.
;)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t much care. Guitars are for guitarin’.

Latest Threads