How important is the word "Gibson" on your headstock.

gregggyf

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I am not sure if this sort of question was proposed before.

How important is to you that the name/word Gibson appears on your headstock?

Let me pose the question this way...

If I was to say to you that I would give you 25% of the total cost that you paid for your Les Paul, if.... you would allow for the name Gibson to magically disappear from the headstock? Of course knowing full well that it is still a Gibson.

Would you do it?
or
You must,.. must have that 6 lettered word there.

Just wondering, and I look foward to hearing your responses.

Good Evening/Day

Greg

acstorfer

Reaction score
From the sound of things, I think there are some folk here that genuinely believe the label Norlin is on my headstock and not Gibson.

Honestly though, really not important to me.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
Dear troll,

The question you pose is ridiculous, because this particular scenario is unrealistic. There is no such they as magic, but there is such a thing as common sense. If I can find a guitar company that produces as good as a product as I have in my possession in the same shape, then perhaps I'd own a couple of those too.. At this moment I have not found such a competitor.

I know you hope to just come to the conclusion that we buy Gibson guitars becasue it says "Gibson", but you'll find quickly that it's about preference. Oh yeah, it's also about tone and playability too..

defcrew

Reaction score
In truth, yeah, it probably matters a little, however, once you start playing you don't think about it at all. Perception is reality somewhat. If re-sale were a concern, having that name up there is not unimportant. I'm pretty much a Fender/Gibson snob. Yeah, I'm vain and shallow and to make matters worse drive a BMW that I'm sometimes too lazy to wash.

LiveSimply

Reaction score
If eventual resale wasn't a consideration, I'd take the 25% from you. The value for me is primarily in the playability and the tone of the instrument.

However, under the circumstance that the guitar eventually had to be resold it's value would be diminished from lacking the logo, and I might well lose that 25% on the back end.

I will admit that there is a certain level of satisfaction seeing those six little letters in the headstock. Many folks go an entire lifetime wanting to own a Gibson and never get the chance. We are a lucky bunch.

I think it also depends on the type of guitar I owned. If I owned a reissue and valued its intent to be as close to the originals as possible, that logo would be very valuable. Other than reissues, I'd probably do it.

tzd

Reaction score
as long as it doesn't say Epiphone :laugh2:
I would buy a Gibson headstock that says Epiphone on it. Those were made in Japan for their domestic market and they are really good.

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
Depends on the song. I have an Gibby SG for AC/DC. A Gibby LP for GNR. And a Standard Faded just because I like the guitar. As well as couple of sig Epis for KISS and AEROSMITH.

Lately I've been on an EVH and Hendrix kick, so I haven't picked up any of my Gibbys lately. So to answer your question, I don't really care about the headstock anymore. I've been spending more time recently on my EVH Wolfgang, Peavey Wolfgang, and Fender Strat. The Gibbys are there when I need them.

Epi rocks

Reaction score
The brand on the headstock is only as good as the guitar you play.
If the guitar sucks, then the brand means nothing but, if the guitar however is a gem, then that brand name has some meaning.

Just my 2c worth.

GTLimited

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of players have obliterated the branding from their Gibsons.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I am not sure if this sort of question was proposed before.

How important is to you that the name/word Gibson appears on your headstock?

Let me pose the question this way...

If I was to say to you that I would give you 25% of the total cost that you paid for your Les Paul, if.... you would allow for the name Gibson to magically disappear from the headstock? Of course knowing full well that it is still a Gibson.

Would you do it?
or
You must,.. must have that 6 lettered word there.

Just wondering, and I look foward to hearing your responses.

Good Evening/Day

Greg
:laugh2:
Mine says Fender.

Posts Per Day: 0.10 - that, says sock.

boney bones lee

Reaction score
"How important is the word "Gibson" on your headstock."

Didn't Gibson make a Les Paul with no "Gibson" on the headstock but instead had a little heart with an arrow through it?

Edit: Nevermind guys. I was thinking of the "Voodoo and "Menace". They do in fact say 'Gibson" but are pretty much aimed at man loving sissy boys, and chicks.

Attachments

Latest Threads