How important is Limited release to you

Big Mark

Reaction score
Evening (or morning) all

The latest issues surrounding the AFD have put a question in my head that I thought I would ask
How important is it to you guys, that it is a limited release. Not specific to the AFD, just in general?

I know from my point of view, they will be pulling my AFD out of my cold dead hands, don't care if they produce 5000.

Would you return or not buy a great playing guitar because the initial release quantity was exceeded?

Is it a question of collector vs player?

and no offence intended to anyone, your choice is right for you and thats all that matters

River

Reaction score
It should be of concern only to collectors.

I picked up a limited edition Epiphone because I thought it might be a cut above a non-limited. And it is. I don't care if they start making them again, made more than they said the would, or any of that.

If I paid $X for a signed, limited edition JP, for instance, and paid a huge premium for it, I'd care. But I wouldn't do that anyway. I don't have enough money.

planks

Reaction score
What matters to me most is the quality of the guitar. Some limited editions are of very good quality. Some are not.

mraajr

Reaction score
I think I would return the guitar simply based on the fact that I was lied to.

loveboat

Reaction score
I can comment on the specific case of the AFD, when I bought it I got the feeling that it was hard to come by and made it all the more exciting to get it. Since the 600 number was floating around and was, at the time, thought to be accurate.

I don't regret buying the guitar. But some of the thrill is gone, I guess I am part collector part player. I am a prosumer when in comes to guitars, and mostly all my other hobbies. I played guitar for 20 years, but never gig or make money off it. The AFD is by FAR the most expensive guitar I have ever bought. 2nd most expensive is like 500 bucks.

I have always wanted a Les Paul, ever since I started playing. At first I thought about a trad pro, but found the top a bit plain. And when the AFD came along I loved the top on it. I didnt really care about the whole Derrig/Slash hype. And I really couldn't care less about "slashtone". But I fell in love with the guitar, and the limited edition was icing on the cake.

In conclusion. The cake is damn good, the icing has melted.

Edit: oh and the only thing that bothers me is that Gibson wasn't up front about the production volume. That is just plain disrespectful.

Ayy Itss Daveee

Reaction score
I think having something that's limited, or collectible, is just a bonus to having a great product. Not the motivation. (Unless we're talking about the aged/signed Page, Slash, or whoever LP's that are 10K+)

If they make more than they said they would, it doesn't make the quality of your instrument go down. Just a few more people can enjoy what you can.

But, if you bought it solely to make money off of it, then you've got a problem.

pureanalog

Reaction score
I think limited editions is marketing trickery, sort of like a scheme to make you rush and buy the guitar. If the guitar was not limited many still wouldn't have bought it.

Funny example is that the limited production of Slash's original standard USA signature was made into 1600 pieces, while the 2004 Slash custom guitar up to this date has still not sold as many. Sure it is more expensive but even though un-limited it is more rare than the limited edition.

River

Reaction score
Everything's "marketing trickery". Gibson's not in business to make you a clever guitar trader, they're in business to sell guitars.

I'm guessing that people hear what they want to hear when the marketing buzz-phrases like "limited edition", "limited run", etc. are used.

I've known for a long time that's all they are - marketing. If the product, regardless if it's a guitar, car, coin, etc. is a hit, the next marketing phrase you're going to hear is "back by popular demand". Serious collectors know this, and read between the lines. They either get an iron-clad commitment from the manufacturer or they take a calculated risk based on the product being too expensive to sell in high volume.

That's the clincher - if the limited edition is inexpensive enough to be a consumer commodity, a buyer expecting a rare prized collectible is being naive, just like someone buying a Gibson Les Paul for $500 on eBay thinking they pulled something over on the seller.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Gibson's got no obligation to give you a prized collectible cheap. If you think they're going to do it, you're being both greedy and naive - and I mean no insult by that. We all get greedy at times, and we're all naive about some things.

Enjoy your limited edition guitars (remember Guitars of the Week, for goodness' sake?) , and do your homework before "investing". Live, learn, and rock on.

Seneca SS

Reaction score
how do you actually find production numbers--i tried calling and e-mailing Gibson and they wont give those numbers:shock:--any other avenue ??? i didnt buy it as a limited release and its not a big deal but would be nice to know:rolleyes:

River

Reaction score
how do you actually find production numbers--i tried calling and e-mailing Gibson and they wont give those numbers:shock:--any other avenue ??? i didnt buy it as a limited release and its not a big deal but would be nice to know:rolleyes:
:hmm:

If they're not saying, I'd say you don't. Even an inside spy could be lying or misinformed.

loveboat

Reaction score
Since it's impossible to build an unlimited amount of guitars, all guitar models are theoretically limited run. And saying a model is a limited edition without stating a number is kind of.. lame.

I still love my AFD, and will not be trading it in anytime soon. :)

River

Reaction score
Since it's impossible to build an unlimited amount of guitars, all guitar models are theoretically limited run. And saying a model is a limited edition without stating a number is kind of.. lame.
:hmm:

They never put a number on my '57 Reissue Junior's run. I'm sure they did in house, but it wasn't used to market or advertise them. I think that's done quite frequently, actually.

standard man

Reaction score
All of my Gibsons were technically "Limited Run" None of them are made anymore. I dont care how many that they made. I just play them. :thumb:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
"Limited Edition" in most cases, is just a sales poly.

There are a number of Gibson guitars that were supposed to be "Limited Editions" that are still being produced today (i.e. the Peter Frampton sig LP Custom).

The only way they will truly be limited is if the demand for them dries up.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
First you'd have to determine if the price reflected an 'actual' limited run.

If it did/does then I'd at the very least expect a partial refund @ the most a complete return.

Inflating pricing due to limited supplies then glutting the market would make me feel like I got duped.

Ace Warslave

Reaction score
I think the best limited edition guitars are norlins because you never really know what you have..:laugh2::laugh2:

your idol

Reaction score
im not a special edition guy and especially not a signature guy. i however saw a bass once and fell so in love with it i scoured the earth looking for it. 3 years of searching i finally found one! i never put 2and 2 together to why it took me so long. when i got it i did some checking and the serial didnt jive so i contacted Fender and came to find out that my bass was extremely rare, like low double digits rare for color and combo.

it didnt influence my buying it but it sure as hell has stopped me from selling it in several instances where i would have sold any other bass.

Callaway

Reaction score
I don't care if it's guitars, cigarette lighters or cars all you need to do is attach the those simple two words"limited edition" it must trigger something in the human mind that's equal to gold fever in the old days. Having something that others don't gives some folks a rush whether its worth anymore in reality is always debatable but it only has to be for those who are willing to pay the extra cash since after all it is "limited edition" and certainly not for just everyone. lol.

River

Reaction score
I don't care if it's guitars, cigarette lighters or cars all you need to do is attach the those simple two words"limited edition" it must trigger something in the human mind that's equal to gold fever in the old days. Having something that others don't gives some folks a rush whether its worth anymore in reality is always debatable but it only has to be for those who are willing to pay the extra cash since after all it is "limited edition" and certainly not for just everyone. lol.
:applause:

And really, it's not debatable - intrinsically it ain't worth shit more than the next good guitar. Even the rarity value is entirely made up in peoples' heads.

You could have a perfect-playing, perfect-sounding '92 Standard that sounded exactly like Jimmy Page's #1, with an accidental finish that made it the only one of its kind in the world - and no one would pay you a dime extra because of it.

Everyone should study the history of Tulips.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I have several LEs but no, that aspect is not important to me. I just get GAS for certain things and buy them if I can afford them. GAS is GAS and that's about as well as I can explain it. I also don't keep "rare" guitars just for the sake of keeping them.

Latest Threads