How important is keeping original case with guitar

DBDM

Reaction score
I sold it once in 2004 after buying a bunch of 2003 Brazilians, snob factor. I missed it and found it at the original store and bought it back. Then in 2017/17 the more historically accurate bug bit me and sold it once again, snob factor. That sale was to a friend with the option to buy it back. He and I do this all the time so it was a safe sale, I knew I’d get it back. I’m older now and have the 2002 and a 2018 Brazilian. At my age buying and selling are over. I own two perfect guitars and have no interest in doing anything but playing. I’ve stoped looking, I won’t even go to Marks site, he always has great guitars. I’m on a small fixed income now and the Wild West days of guitar trading are over for me. As far as the case since it’s black and came with the guitar I see the point of members who posted I’ll keep it. I prefer the brown case but in 2002 they only offered them with R9’s. My wife will forget I bought it so I’ll live to play another gig. Now you know the history.:drool:
If you have now purchased that same guitar 3 times, my suggestion is that you FOR SURE sell the case to make it less desirable to all of those people who would not buy it without the original case! Do not sell that guitar again--ever! For any reason. I cannot imagine that you will keep getting lucky enough to buy it back a 4th time when you regret it (again).

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three Gibsons that came with a factory case. When they inevitably get sold or traded, the cases and any candy will go with them. My ES-235 has a generic case because the previous owner ditched the gig bag, but the COA will be in the case.

Reactions: Who

DBDM

Reaction score
Keep in mind that with a simple Ebay search, one can buy case candy, blank warranty cards, and nearly any case Gibson has ever made. Blank COAs cost around $100. Presence or Absence of these items is meaningless to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Custom-Shop-COA-Certificate-Authenticity-Les-Paul-R6-R7-R8-R9-R0-SG-Blank/324518807858?hash=item4b8ed40932:g:1CYAAOSw3rxfz-Wb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Custom-Shop-COA-Certificate-Of-Authenticity-Les-Paul-SG-Flying-V-Firebird/324523092997?hash=item4b8f156c05:g:i1oAAOSwLzxeuvL~

laking

Reaction score
I prefer to buy a guitar with the original case when possible. That being said, I rarely carry the guitar when taking the guitar out of the house in THAT case. I keep the case in the unlikely circumstance that I choose to sell or trade. I think there is value there particularly in vintage or custom guitars.

I have bought guitars without the originals, but I would typically pay less than the going rate.

that’s my two cents.

ClassicLP

Reaction score
Apart from a normal set of questions about the guitar itself, I always ask about the Gibson case. I see it as a complete set. If I was looking at your guitar and another that had the case, I'd pass on yours. Personally, I am not one to divide things from their original set, but if you need the money, or what have you, go ahead. However, it may hurt you down the road if you sell the guitar.

none2low

Reaction score
Apart from a normal set of questions about the guitar itself, I always ask about the Gibson case. I see it as a complete set. If I was looking at your guitar and another that had the case, I'd pass on yours.
I find this interesting.

So hypothetically, you'd pass on the better sounding and playing guitar because it had a missing or non-original case?

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
Unquestionably.

I have never bought a vehicle with the expectation that someone else would own it. Nor a house. Nor anything other than gifts for that matter.

While I have sold a house, I certainly never cared to make sure I don't change anything just in case the next owner might want the house in original condition.
My home is Grade II listed and I would consider doing nothing out of character : although Heritage permission is required regardless .

Reactions: Who

dbruno

Reaction score
Always, always keep the original case. The receipt, candy, certificate and shipping box too. Maximize your resale. Eventually you will and someone else will be glad you did.

I had a nicely aged, brown reissue case just like you do. Just because. Never used it, just took up space. That’s the one to get rid of in my opinion.

guitardon

Reaction score
Always, always keep the original case. The receipt, candy, certificate and shipping box too. Maximize your resale. Eventually you will and someone else will be glad you did.

I had a nicely aged, brown reissue case just like you do. Just because. Never used it, just took up space. That’s the one to get rid of in my opinion.
Well after all the replies I’d never get rid of the case. I’m glad I put this out there, ida never known how y’all feel about it. I have the best of both worlds, OEM case and a nicely aged CS case. I will never get rid of either of my last two guitars. I’ve said that before when I was younger but knew I didn’t mean it. Life changes at my age, fixed income, wife that’d throw me out and the lack of desire, I’m done. I will live vicariously through you guys. I will enjoy your NGD’s. I’ve never felt the itch was scratched until now. I don’t really care what newest and greatest ones that Gibson teases you with. I wanted to end with a Brazilian and a highly flamed one. I end up with both, after 20 years of craziness I’m finally satisfied. I’m grateful I can still get up there and play and surprised that I have an option of two blues bands right now. I figured after the virus shut us down it was over for me. Thanks for all the great input. Soon as I get a recording of the new bands I’ll put something up on SoundCloud and share with y’all. I still hold my own against younger players.

Deadletteroffice

Reaction score
If I'm buying a custom shop guitar I want all the original stuff, or I better be getting a killer deal. Because the bottom line is, if I turn around and sell it later for any reason then I'll be the poor SOAB trying to sell it without those items and getting ground down on the price, So yes, just as selling it has a value, it also has a negative value if you don't have it, probably to even a further extent.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Sell the newer aged case. It might look better, but you should always keep your Historics with the case they came in. I do think it devalues the guitar overall. They go hand in hand. Even when buying vintage guitars, most people want them to come in their original case. Those old black cases are pretty solid too, even though they may not look as nice or "accurate." These guitars are pretty collectible, I wouldn't separate the "set" (guitar+COA+case) if you know what I mean. That said, some buyers just don't care, but I don't think many people would pay full market value for a guitar without its original case. That's just a hunch of mine. But do whatever YOU really want to do, just remember how many people regret these kinds of moves years later when they're trying to sell.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
2001 Custom Shop SG Standard Korina.
Purchased used with original case.
Noticed a ding on the back of the guitar.
Discovered a sharp bump inside the case.
Same location as ding on the guitar.
A rivet from one of the latches or handle.
Must have fallen in when making the case.
Funny how that rivet was there for 20 years.

Last edited:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
2001 Custom Shop SG Standard Korina.
Purchased used with original case.
Noticed a ding on the back of the guitar.
Discovered a sharp bump inside the case.
Same location as ding on the guitar.
A rivet from one of the latches or handle.
Must have fallen in when making the case.
Funny how that rivet was there for 20 years.

You better put it back or they won't buy it! ;)

Latest Threads