How important is keeping original case with guitar

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For the cork sniffers it’s important. On expensive instruments I don’t use the original case. Those get put away and I use a better purposed SKB or flight case.

lwchafin

Reaction score
Don, I could be wrong but I would bet that guitar would go for whatever it's going to go for when you get ready to make your third stupid decision to sell it down the road regardless of the case you sell it with. I suppose there are people out there who, not knowing that in 2021 you had the option of selling it with the black case or a more period-correct brown one would try to adjust the price based on that, but my 2 cents worth is to keep it in the case you think does a better job of protecting it, and if you don't have room in the garage, attic or under a bed, sell the other one and hype the crap out of it to try and get some of the money your future buyer will be trying to haggle you out of. In the end the market of the day it sells will set the price (willing buyer/willing seller and all that).

DBDM

Reaction score
Future Reverb listing, "Historic Guitar with real authentic aging. Good Wood Era. All Original. Upgraded Gibson Branded Lifton Style Case..."

Harley90

Reaction score
Late to the party here but....As a buyer I would only buy complete with all original everything, that is top dollar....unless...Players grade and a steal of a deal.

DBDM

Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you ever sell that guitar, you do not have to sell it to a cork sniffer or to "everybody". You just need one dude who wants a great guitar and does not give a crap about the case (me). One guy who wants it for the price you are asking is the exact same as 1000 people wanting it.

mjross

Reaction score
Guitar players are nuts about cases and candy. I honestly don’t understand the obsession with original hang tags and stuff like that. Whenever I put a guitar up for sale, 70% of the questions are about case candy and the other 30% are about the precise weight of the guitar. Nobody ever asks about the tone or playing feel. The modern internet guitar buyer blows my mind.
This is not what I have found at all. Most could care less about that crap. How does it play and what is the overall condition, that’s what is important to most. I have not come across one person where the case and case candy affected the sale.

none2low

Reaction score
Wow!! I cannot believe the number of people on this thread that have said they wouldn't even consider a guitar, if it didn't have the original case and all case candy. I've been buying, selling and trading for years and can't even fathom how many instruments I'd have missed out on enjoying if I felt the same way. To each their own. I suppose it opens up a bigger market to those of us that aren't concerned with such things.

DBDM

Reaction score
@mjross--2 extremes of people who buy guitars with most of us falling somewhere in between. The 2 extremes are people who buy guitars to make thier art (musicians) vs people who buy the guitars AS art (collectors who do not play). Easy for the players to criticize the collectors--but why? I have art on the walls at my home and work--I cannot play that art? It is really the same thing. For the collectors, the case and the candy are part of the art. Most of us fall inbetween the 2 extremes. We require some degree of aesthetics, SOME degree of cork sniffing, and some degree of tone and playability. I feel like the extreme of the "tone only, screw the aesthetics" (and case and case candy in this instance) are the lucky ones--they can be perfectly thrilled with a $400 Pawn shop Studio. I am jealous because I do require some figuring and finish and color and look to my guitars. I really do not think it matters where a guy falls on the spectrum between the 2, but not accepting it can cost a lot of money. I think if more guys would say, "you know, I am kind of a cork sniffer and I will not be happy with less than a 20xx R9 with xxxx feature" they could save a lot of money. I think these threads are full of people who will not accept their own limitations and buy and buy and buy guitars they do not like or want when in reality they should just save a tiny bit and buy what they want

TheRoadToHull

Reaction score
If I bought a guitar with the original case, I would keep them together.

Exception is my '95 Les Paul Studio which I bought in 2016. It should have a gig bag, but this came in a lovely genuine Gibson 'California Girl' case complete with shroud. Now it so happens that I have a spare Gibson gig bag of the correct era. If I sell the guitar, do I swap back? No - if the previous owner liked it enough to buy a special case for it, I can respect that and leave it where it is.

mjross

Reaction score
In retrospect, I think this all depends on the guitar and the value. In regard to HIGH value guitars, SOME buyers want all the goodies and the correct case. I get that!

Nightrain04

Reaction score
Would selling the black Gibson Custom Art and Historic case devalue my R8. Do people even care if it’s the original case that came with the guitar? All my guitars get used so they will never be mint collector pieces so I wonder if it matters.

your opinions will be appreciated.
I keep EVERYTHING that comes with a new guitar in case I decide to sell it sometime. That allows me to ask top dollar. I also do not do modifications that will not allow me to return the guitar to 100% stock. I do that with everything I buy, guitars, guns, cars, motorcycles, etc.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have irreversibly modded two of my guitars, but they aren't valuable, and neither had a case. Two others have had parts swaps, but the original parts are in the cases (that I had to buy.)
I look after my guitars, but I play them when I want to and only worry about smacking a door frame or other oopsies.

mjross

Reaction score
I have irreversibly modded two of my guitars, but they aren't valuable, and neither had a case. Two others have had parts swaps, but the original parts are in the cases (that I had to buy.)
I look after my guitars, but I play them when I want to and only worry about smacking a door frame or other oopsies.
I use to get those oopsies all the time back in the day. When ever I’d go over to someone’s house for a jam, bang, a new headstock injury due to low ceilings. Happened a lot! When I built my house the ceilings downstairs in my studio are 8 foot. Did not want myself or anyone else have to deal with ceiling oopsies!

none2low

Reaction score
I keep EVERYTHING that comes with a new guitar in case I decide to sell it sometime. That allows me to ask top dollar.
Isn't this somewhat relative though? You could have paid $300 more than I did to acquire the same year/model guitar with all that stuff, but at selling time your guitar only yields a $100 more than mine does without, both being in like condition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone should just toss all that stuff, but it seems to me that an artificial value has/is being placed on immaterial stuff that comes with regular run guitars. Obviously, special edition, limited run, artist models are a different story and certificates could play into the collector value.

zdoggie

Reaction score
hey nice axe ,I think that most of bought LP's back in the 80's I remember the guy I bought my first one from was very maticilous about the case and the candy although he was a dealer he was also a collector and we all learn from different people who come through the door of our lives so I think the cs cases in black are better than the tan ones but doesn't make either one road worthy.
zdog

guitardon

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful R8 by the way - wow - that top is stunning - seriously though you said you foolishly sold it 2 other times, so why on earth are you even asking this question? Would you honestly consider selling it again? I’m guessing the answer is yes...but why? There has to be a reason you bought it back 2 times - I now must know why you’re really asking this question! It’s going to keep me up at night until I know, haha!
I sold it once in 2004 after buying a bunch of 2003 Brazilians, snob factor. I missed it and found it at the original store and bought it back. Then in 2017/17 the more historically accurate bug bit me and sold it once again, snob factor. That sale was to a friend with the option to buy it back. He and I do this all the time so it was a safe sale, I knew I’d get it back. I’m older now and have the 2002 and a 2018 Brazilian. At my age buying and selling are over. I own two perfect guitars and have no interest in doing anything but playing. I’ve stoped looking, I won’t even go to Marks site, he always has great guitars. I’m on a small fixed income now and the Wild West days of guitar trading are over for me. As far as the case since it’s black and came with the guitar I see the point of members who posted I’ll keep it. I prefer the brown case but in 2002 they only offered them with R9’s. My wife will forget I bought it so I’ll live to play another gig. Now you know the history.:drool:

Cory

Reaction score
I sold it once in 2004 after buying a bunch of 2003 Brazilians, snob factor. I missed it and found it at the original store and bought it back. Then in 2017/17 the more historically accurate bug bit me and sold it once again, snob factor. That sale was to a friend with the option to buy it back. He and I do this all the time so it was a safe sale, I knew I’d get it back. I’m older now and have the 2002 and a 2018 Brazilian. At my age buying and selling are over. I own two perfect guitars and have no interest in doing anything but playing. I’ve stoped looking, I won’t even go to Marks site, he always has great guitars. I’m on a small fixed income now and the Wild West days of guitar trading are over for me. As far as the case since it’s black and came with the guitar I see the point of members who posted I’ll keep it. I prefer the brown case but in 2002 they only offered them with R9’s. My wife will forget I bought it so I’ll live to play another gig. Now you know the history.:drool:
Haha - thanks for sharing - I need to stay off of reverb, etc. - I get bored and what starts as just looking goes quickly down the rabbit hole - though I am content at the moment with my gear - I hope it stays that way for a while.

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
Why do people put so much thought into what the next owner might value?

If you’re concerned about selling it.... sell it now. Or don’t buy it in the first place.

I consider myself the “owner” of my things, not the “caretaker for the next guy”.

I took my gear-ownership cues from liner-notes I read from Ian Paice....
Is that your view of your realestate and vehicles too ?

guitardon

Reaction score
The more I read your reply’s I love my guitar more and more. Added history. In 2003 I played a gig on the south side of Chicago. It used to be a biker bar calorific Bucket of Blood. A friend who knew the history of the club came to see me play. He called Bucket O Blood. That is still the name I call it. It is a deep red like dried blood. It fits the guitar.

Latest Threads