How important is keeping original case with guitar

Reaction score
So based on this thread - Should I upgrade from my '87 Chain Saw Case to a light brown OHSC after I have done so mods, like Grovers, Seymour Duncan Antiquity PUs, Page-Wiring harness and '59 top hat knobs?

ryano

Reaction score
For me, I personally would rather have an earlier Lifton case for my 2018 Historic 58 that had the double neck support over the more period correct single support case that came with those two pieces of gray foam so original case doesnt really matter to me. I would consider trading someone in fact. I wouldnt travel across town using my Lifton case. They look good and they may be "period correct" but they arent very supportive and I dont like those gray foam pads.

ryano

Reaction score
So based on this thread - Should I upgrade from my '87 Chain Saw Case to a light brown OHSC after I have done so mods, like Grovers, Seymour Duncan Antiquity PUs, Page-Wiring harness and '59 top hat knobs?

Upgrade if you wish but hold on to that Defender case! That is probably the safest case GIbson has ever had.

guitardon

Reaction score
I decided to keep the case. I’m one of the nuttiest nut cases when it comes to originality. But my true feeling is when I sell this guitar it’ll be 25 years old or more. It will have its share of wear and tear of a guitar that was played but loved. If I was buying a guitar like this, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it based on the case as long as all the case candy was there and the case was a Gibson case made for custom shop guitars. This guitar is never going to be one that is put in the glass showcase unless naturally aged guitars become desirable. Everybody seems more interested in phony aging rather than real aging. Therefore I just don’t see the big deal but decided after all the comments here in favor of keeping the case, then I’ll keep it. I do take them out with the case for band practices or any other event where the guitar will be safe. Like a house party or some other event where I know the people. I would see an aged Gibson case or one of the new ones with the pink lining as an upgrade.

Last edited:

Ronkirn

Reaction score
ANYTHING will be worth big $$$ at some point in the future, be it a 2 dollar pocket watch or ta 100,000.00 Breguet watch… stash it in a closet wait a few centuries and bingo. you're rich... but if you screw with it.. whatever it COULD have brought, will be dramatically diminished…

A pristine 50’s Les Paul complete with "case candy” and case would be worth substantially more than the same guitar in a “foreign" case.. dick around with the wiring or pickups and knock off another large percentage.... and it keeps going..

Point is you have to determine if playing the thing is more important then keeping it in virgin condition for your great, great, great, great grandkids..

r

guitardon

Reaction score
That’s funny, after all those mods I wouldn’t think I would matter.

guitardon

Reaction score
ANYTHING will be worth big $$$ at some point in the future, be it a 2 dollar pocket watch or ta 100,000.00 Breguet watch… stash it in a closet wait a few centuries and bingo. you're rich... but if you screw with it.. whatever it COULD have brought, will be dramatically diminished…

A pristine 50’s Les Paul complete with "case candy” and case would be worth substantially more than the same guitar in a “foreign" case.. dick around with the wiring or pickups and knock off another large percentage.... and it keeps going..

Point is you have to determine if playing the thing is more important then keeping it in virgin condition for your great, great, great, great grandkids..

r
I wasn’t talking about a foreign case, I was originally talking about a Gibson made historic case that was from like the originals versus the black. From what I’m reading many of y’all prefer the cases with the double neck brace. Those wouldn’t be original with my new Brazilian, but some people it sounds like would prefer that. Anyway everybody has an opinion. And I’ve learned a lot from this that as nutty as I am other people or more so.

guitardon

Reaction score
I wasn’t talking about a foreign case, I was originally talking about a Gibson made historic case that was original black vs brown. From what I’m reading many of y’all prefer the cases with the double neck brace. Those wouldn’t be original with my new Brazilian, but some people it sounds like would prefer that. Anyway everybody has an opinion. And I’ve learned a lot from this that as nutty as I am other people or more so.

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
I once had to throw away an old 70s chainsaw case because a cat had peed in it. The smell didnt disapear despite many attempts to wash it with various chemicals and three months outside on the porch.

Im sure that will shave a couple of hundred off the price if I ever decide to sell the guitar. I dont think it should, but the market currently thinks otherwise.

dnabbet2

Reaction score
I know this isn't strictly speaking what we're talking about, but sometimes the case is the "wrong" case for the guitar, but it IS the original case that it came with or that the buyer purchased for it.

I have a close friend with a '63 Stratocaster that was purchased originally with a Fender-TYPE case. And I bought a '56 Les Paul Custom that was purchased originally with a brown pink-lined case for whatever model is bigger at the upper bouts than a Les Paul.

I was disappointed not to get the black gold-lined case but I paid the asking price. Both guitars had history behind them, and the cases were part of that ... what if the case were not the "right" one, but a tour case? That'd be cool.

Cory

Reaction score
I wouldn’t sell the original case - we’ve all been down that road of “this is the perfect guitar and I’ll never sell it” - then it’s on reverb a few months later - personally as a buyer, it would make me start to question what else is not original or different - it’s a tough thing sometimes to fork over historic/reissue money to someone who is not a well known/reputable shop - as soon as there’s a hint of anything non-original I start to look elsewhere or expect it to be discounted appropriately - maybe not everyone feels this way, but you’ll definitely shrink the number of people willing to overlook something like this over making a few hundred bucks now - it will most likely cost you more in losses in the future if you decide to sell the guitar.

piranhakeet

Reaction score
Would selling the black Gibson Custom Art and Historic case devalue my R8. Do people even care if it’s the original case that came with the guitar? All my guitars get used so they will never be mint collector pieces so I wonder if it matters.

your opinions will be appreciated.
If you're thinking you might ever sell it, I'd recommend you keep the entire package intact. You'll lose potentially hundreds of dollars without original case, COA, etc. I personally won't spend custom shop dollars on any guitar unless it has the original case and candy, and there are lots of folks like me out there.

Bubbles

Reaction score
I believe it deducts a lot of the guitar's value if the original case is not offered. First, for a collectors point of view it lessens its value to me. Second I would question if the guitar was stolen at a gig off a stand. Just my opinion.

blouie

Reaction score
I personally would not buy a guitar without the original case and COA (if it came with one). Call it snob but it's just me.

Cory

Reaction score
Of course, we all love to show off our beauties. Here she is. This is the third time I’ve owned her, I stupidly sold it twice but was able to get it back. I was a snob back then and didn’t like the inaccuracies of this guitar. Once I got over the snob factor I realized this guitar is incredible looking playing and sounding. She looks just fine in a brown aged or an aged correct specs case. The black ones cool too but I never liked it. I played it a lot over the last 20 years so she has honest aging. I know every nick and dent on it because I put them there. So now that you see my beauty would you get upset because I was selling it with an upgraded historically accurate brown case over the black one?

View attachment 524966
Absolutely beautiful R8 by the way - wow - that top is stunning - seriously though you said you foolishly sold it 2 other times, so why on earth are you even asking this question? Would you honestly consider selling it again? I’m guessing the answer is yes...but why? There has to be a reason you bought it back 2 times - I now must know why you’re really asking this question! It’s going to keep me up at night until I know, haha!

Joe A

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't care unless the guitar is a rare collectible but in the market it can make a difference. Very very few Historics will truly be a rare collectible so it shouldn't matter much. If you changed to an improved Lifton style case it probably wouldn't hurt at all.

That said.... Sometimes I find it funny how much "buyers" want to haggle over a case or COA... Those hagglers are usually people short on funds looking to find money on the ground though.

DBDM

Reaction score
I think it depends on the guitar and the situation. If you are selling a true collectable guitar to a collector, it matters for sure. If you are selling a nicer player grade to a player, it matters but not much. Many of the most expensive guitars I have ever seen sold did not come in the original case. Eric Clapton's "Blackie", Kurt Cobain's guiitar, Maybelle Carter's L5. Many many bursts....all depends on what you are selling and who you are selling it to, and the situation. Your guitar is fairly unlikely to be sold to the Country Music Hall of Fame nor to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...although I AM for the record, pulling for you!

I live in Nashville and hang out at Gruhn's Guitars quite a lot. I watch them buy and sell guitars and have sold/traded a few there myself. On the last trade, I did not have the case candy with me (forgot it) and they did not give a flying $#@% about it. i offered to bring it back and they said "nah". One of them had a Gibson branded but non original case and the other guitar had a gig bag. They did not mind that at all, in fact they gave me their offer before they even asked about the cases and before I disclosed the absence (by mistake) of the case candy.

My general gut feeling is that your used R8 MIGHT be devalued by $100 or so by not having the original case but you can likely sell the original case for more than that.

I will say that case is one of my favorite Gibson Cases and they usually sell fairly rapidly. I don't think you will lose much, overall if you count the amount for which you sell the case. Worst case scenario (kind of making a joke out of "case scenario") you can always buy one later if necessary. They are not rare.

cortland1977

Reaction score
with how paranoid some people are about buying fakes or "chibsons" i think having the original case helps put those concerns at ease when selling it . If you like a brown lifton case better I would just buy one and keep the original and if you sell it keep the lifton for something else and sell it with the original. but the more of the original stuff that came with it the better at fighting off idiots that scream fake at things

Latest Threads