How important is keeping original case with guitar

guitardon

Reaction score
Here’s one of my R8s with its original but not accurate case.

View attachment 524970

This is my 2004 R7 with its original Custom Art Historic black case.

View attachment 524973

My R9 in its original case.
View attachment 524975

I purchased this 1978 Custom in 1980 with its original case.... lost a latch over the years.
View attachment 524974
Here’s one of my R8s with its original but not accurate case.

View attachment 524970

This is my 2004 R7 with its original Custom Art Historic black case.

View attachment 524973

My R9 in its original case.
View attachment 524975

I purchased this 1978 Custom in 1980 with its original case.... lost a latch over the years.
View attachment 524974
Nice collection

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice collection
Thank you,.... and that’s just a handful.... I don’t want to blow up your thread:rofl:.

I have never been that concerned with the cases that came with my guitars... as long as they protect when stored. I have a better case for travel... and I never take more than two out of the house. I don’t sell nothing so resale never crosses my mind. It is what it is.

guitardon

Reaction score
Thank you,.... and that’s just a handful.... I don’t want to blow up your thread:rofl:.
No worries, these threads often times morph into something different from the OP’s starting point. Hey I got to show a picture of mine too so I wasn’t planning on it :)

Steven

Reaction score
I don't sell my guitars, however I try to keep them in pristine condition, This is quite difficult

jcsk8

Reaction score
I think yes. Because the buyer will probably want a case that has the same looking. When I buy other similiar guitars, with much less tradition os totally negligible, but with reissues I´ll pobably keep the original case.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it in this case. They're still getting a similar enough Custom Shop case, just aged, and more correct.

I had and sold a 50th R9 that came with a Lifton and offered the guitar for $200 less if they opted for a regular Black Gibson CS case. The buyer actually chose the cheaper case (surprisingly), my 68RI Custom got the Lifton, so not the correct case for my 68RI but I see it as a bonus if I ever sell and will expect a little more as it has a Lifton.

guitardon

Reaction score
I don't sell my guitars, however I try to keep them in pristine condition, This is quite difficult
I realize this is all a bunch of nonsense. My current two guitars will be with me the rest of my life. I used to be the antiques business, and historical preservation was always on my mind. Therefore I overthink it based that experience. If I had to do a restoration I tried to do it just like the original with the right stain and varnish etc. It’s just my nature. Shucks I even keep the box’s that came with all my other musical accessories.

guitardon

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it in this case. They're still getting a similar enough Custom Shop case, just aged, and more correct.

I had and sold a 50th R9 that came with a Lifton and offered the guitar for $200 less if they opted for a regular Black Gibson CS case. The buyer actually chose the cheaper case (surprisingly), my 68RI Custom got the Lifton, so not the correct case for my 68RI but I see it as a bonus if I ever sell and will expect a little more as it has a Lifton.
Hey, that’s kind of my thinking. If I was buying a 2002 Les Paul and somebody offered me a Gibson Gibson aged case, I would see it as an upgrade. Everyone sees it differently, that’s why I threw this out there to forum members to hear what you guys are saying. Again I don’t know if I’m gonna do what the consensus says though. I can’t keep both my wife is not happy with the fact that I bought the new case from Mark with the pink lining. She’s never owned an original burst and can’t understand the desire to have something that looks just like I used to see every day in the 70s when I had mine. But we downsized and moved to a smaller place, and she is right in that I’m trying to downsize not Ed and we just don’t have the closet space. Thanks for your input

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think of it this way....Some "collectors" will see it as a reduction in the value when you go to re-sell....if you re- sell with a different case.....

Thats really all there is to it.

You can do anything you want to do....in the end no one cares, except when you go to re-sell .....To some....not all... it matters that all the crap Gibson gives you when its new ....needs to be with it during the re-sale ....or they have a legitimate argument to offer less or walk away....again not every one cares....you might get lucky and sell top dollar to someone who doesn't care about COA's and case candy and cases....

God bless the wives...

Most do not understand....

I can still put money in the bank with Gibson Historic's and she still has a fury frenzy when I go and buy a new one or two....at these prices who can blame them....

I think she's jealous....

Steven

Reaction score
I realize this is all a bunch of nonsense. My current two guitars will be with me the rest of my life. I used to be the antiques business, and historical preservation was always on my mind. Therefore I overthink it based that experience. If I had to do a restoration I tried to do it just like the original with the right stain and varnish etc. It’s just my nature. Shucks I even keep the box’s that came with all my other musical accessories.
I wish I had the ability to restore my guitars to their original condition, However I don't have that ability. It is near impossible to keep guitars in their original pristine condition when they get used. It bothers me when they get scratched, or receive any damage aesthetically. As you can imagine this is a difficult way to feel about a guitar collection that gets used.

guitardon

Reaction score
4am and I got up and made a decision. I’m not easily swayed be others opinions but based on you’re responses overwhelmingly supporting keeping the original case, I conclude is the way to go. There is something magical about the original case staying with its guitar. Especially since it is black, it sets it apart from the newer brown cases. If it were one brown case vs another brown case I’d let it go but the black case is unique to the pre 2003 runs. At least for R8’s. I think for a while R8’s were black but in 2002 the R9’s were brown. In 20 years I’m not sure many people will know what case goes what which guitar. As far as the wife, she’ll get over and forget the whole thing. At least I didn’t buy a new guitar with the pink case. I have the luxury of using either brown or black when taking her out.

Wow, I just discovered a new angle to get another guitar. I’ll tell her it’s just another case without a guitar. Ha ha

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
I can’t see a case or case candy stopping me from buying the “right” guitar. However, that’s just me!

Injector

Reaction score
The old black TKL cases are far better than the crappy Lifton reissues. I'd be thankful if a used guitar came in one and I wouldn't consider the Lifton an 'upgrade'.

Nicholas Alliott

Reaction score
No way I would pay the same for a guitar without its original case and candy. If I want a guitar to gig then Id still buy it but expect a discount on the price.

Mockbel

Reaction score
When you sell a Gibson (especially a historic) you are not just selling a guitar.. for me, original case, COA, and even case candy contribute to how much I am willing to pay

Tenorsaxman

Reaction score
Guitar players are nuts about cases and candy. I honestly don’t understand the obsession with original hang tags and stuff like that. Whenever I put a guitar up for sale, 70% of the questions are about case candy and the other 30% are about the precise weight of the guitar. Nobody ever asks about the tone or playing feel. The modern internet guitar buyer blows my mind.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Everyone is different, but I absolutely would not sell the original case. Keep everything including the original box that it came in if you can. I tend to keep everything if I can. I know when I sell, one of the questions always asked is if everything is original including case and case candy. Cheers.

Musikell

Reaction score
Would selling the black Gibson Custom Art and Historic case devalue my R8. Do people even care if it’s the original case that came with the guitar? All my guitars get used so they will never be mint collector pieces so I wonder if it matters.

your opinions will be appreciated.
I picked my Les Paul traditional up about 2weeks ago and the guy proudly showed me the serial number on the cardboard shipping box that matched the guitar. He was also perturbed that I actually plugged it in to test the electrics. So there’s two different attitudes out of two people. So I think it depends on who is buying it and why. If your guitar is a players guitar and is being sold as such I don’t think it should matter much as long as the case does its job. Personally I am more concerned that the Gibson sticker on my case is a sign saying steal me.

guitardon

Reaction score
Personally I am more concerned that the Gibson sticker on my case is a sign saying steal me.
I agree with this statement. That is why I never carry my guitar into a club in the original case I have known too many people to lose a guitar because they leave it leaning on the edge of the stage and then go to the bar to talk to people at the end of the night. I have a really good quality heavy duty gig bag that slings over your shoulder. When we’re finished at the end of the night the guitar immediately goes over my shoulder after a pack everything up.

rpark

Reaction score
Good choice to keep the guitar in its original case. While some don’t mind or care if the case is non-original, some do, so why cut your potential market if “it doesn’t matter”? You picked well.

Latest Threads