How important is keeping original case with guitar

guitardon

Reaction score
Would selling the black Gibson Custom Art and Historic case devalue my R8. Do people even care if it’s the original case that came with the guitar? All my guitars get used so they will never be mint collector pieces so I wonder if it matters.

your opinions will be appreciated.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
my opinion , it wont devalue the guitar...the guitar is still what it is with or without a case

some prefer all the case candy COA and original case if they are paying a premium...

tons of threads about no COA included and all that stuff....

and thats fine if a buyer must have that and will only buy it if included so maybe you will get a few dollars more if you had it or some would say it makes it more "marketable" which it obviously doesnt hurt to have it.

i bought my R8 for a great price, no COA or case candy, maybe not original case but that didnt matter to me, i wanted the guitar......

im not gonna "play" the case and im not gonna hang the COA around my neck while playing.

if i ever sell it...the next person takes it the way i am offering it....i dont care, they can go buy a different R8 if they like that has that stuff...

oh btw one of the best scores from a pawn shop was the black Gibson Custom and Historic cases i grabbed for $29 :dude:

EDIT: if your dead broke and need the money to pay rent or food and thats your sole remedy, sure sell it, if you just want a few dollars to go drinking one one night, maybe hold on to it and forget the night out......just a thought.

Last edited:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2006 CS LP Special from Guitar Denter back in 2011. The guitar was/is mint. I inquired why there was no CS case, cert. or case candy. The sales manager said that "Carmine" traded it in without all that stuff. Evidently "Carmine" was a good customer of this particular GC. I didn't know if this was a bullshit story or not.

They wanted $1,800 + tax for the guitar. I said without all the aforementioned accessories I wasn't going to pay that, what was their bottom line price? The manager came back with $1,700 + tax and it would come with a brand new Gibson LP Standard case. So, after careful consideration, :hmm:, and the fact that I really liked the guitar, I said ok.

I feel like I got a pretty good deal considering that at the time, a new CS LP Special was $3,599 list, and $2,499 with the dealer discount.
The same guitar today, new, is $3,499 street price. :wow:

OP, to answer your question, yes, keep the original case with the guitar. I makes a difference.

guitardon

Reaction score
my opinion , it wont devalue the guitar...the guitar is still what it is with or without a case

some prefer all the case candy COA and original case if they are paying a premium...

tons of threads about no COA included and all that stuff....

and thats fine if a buyer must have that and will only buy it if included so maybe you will get a few dollars more if you had it or some would say it makes it more "marketable" which it obviously doesnt hurt to have it.

i bought my R8 for a great price, no COA or case candy, maybe not original case but that didnt matter to me, i wanted the guitar......

im not gonna "play" the case and im not gonna hang the COA around my neck while playing.

if i ever sell it...the next person takes it the way i am offering it....i dont care, they can go buy a different R8 if they like that has that stuff...

oh btw one of the best scores from a pawn shop was the black Gibson Custom and Historic cases i grabbed for $29 :dude:

EDIT: if your dead broke and need the money to pay rent or food and thats your sole remedy, sure sell it, if you just want a few dollars to go drinking one one night, maybe hold on to it and forget the night out......just a thought.
Not desperate for money. I have a beautiful aged Gibson case that I like better with the guitar. It’s worth more today than the black one but who knows that could reverse itself in five years. The guitar a 2002 R8 with the most beautiful flame tops, looks a lot like the Brock Burst. Who knows somewhere down the road the 2002 R8’s with heavily flame top might be worth more with the original case. Thanks for the input.

guitardon

Reaction score
I bought a 2006 CS LP Special from Guitar Denter back in 2011. The guitar was/is mint. I inquired why there was no CS case, cert. or case candy. The sales manager said that "Carmine" traded it in without all that stuff. Evidently "Carmine" was a good customer of this particular GC. I didn't know if this was a bullshit story or not.

They wanted $1,800 + tax for the guitar. I said without all the aforementioned accessories I wasn't going to pay that, what was their bottom line price? The manager came back with $1,700 + tax and it would come with a brand new Gibson LP Standard case. So, after careful consideration, :hmm:, and the fact that I really liked the guitar, I said ok.

I feel like I got a pretty good deal considering that at the time, a new CS LP Special was $3,599 list, and $2,499 with the dealer discount.
The same guitar today, new, is $3,499 street price. :wow:

OP, to answer your question, yes, keep the original case with the guitar. I makes a difference.
Thanks for your input. The guitar has the COA and case candy so that isn’t in question. I’m trying to decide if I should keep the.black case or sell it and use the Gibson brown aged case. It’s not about money, I’m trying to keep life decluttered. And don’t want to keep both. It’s not a real big deal I was just trying to get some opinions on a case swap affecting the value.

judson

Reaction score
Not desperate for money. I have a beautiful aged Gibson case that I like better with the guitar. It’s worth more today than the black one but who knows that could reverse itself in five years. The guitar a 2002 R8 with the most beautiful flame tops, looks a lot like the Brock Burst. Who knows somewhere down the road the 2002 R8’s with heavily flame top might be worth more with the original case. Thanks for the input.
then keep it and go buy another guitar for the other case...solved :slap:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. The guitar has the COA and case candy so that isn’t in question. I’m trying to decide if I should keep the.black case or sell it and use the Gibson brown aged case. It’s not about money, I’m trying to keep life decluttered. And don’t want to keep both. It’s not a real big deal I was just trying to get some opinions on a case swap affecting the value.
As long as it has a Custom Shop case, black or the brown Lifton style, with the guitar then all is well. I thought you were talking about it having a Gibson USA case like my LP Special.

E.T.

Reaction score
Funny, I just posted a "wanted " for the correct case for one of mine. The actual original one would be awesome, but at the end of the day a case is a case, even the "period correct" bit is just OCD. I suppose it might not even have been the factory original case if the GC it came from had a pile of them out back with the same generic case candy.

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people put so much thought into what the next owner might value?

If you’re concerned about selling it.... sell it now. Or don’t buy it in the first place.

I consider myself the “owner” of my things, not the “caretaker for the next guy”.

I took my gear-ownership cues from liner-notes I read from Ian Paice....

guitardon

Reaction score

If you’re concerned about selling it.... sell it now. Or don’t buy it in the first place.

I consider myself the “owner” of my things, not the “caretaker for the next guy
Woa, don’t buy it in the first place. I bought a guitar not the case. It came with guitar and was the only option at the time. I’m not obsessing about it, I just have the luxury of having an xtra case that is factory aged by Gibson. I turned to the Forum for opinions on switching cases. It’s still a factory made aged case for CS Les Pauls. I just wanted a friendly discussion about it. It ain’t like I’m asking if the pick guard screws will affect the tone. I could see your point if I wanted to trade an OEM case for a non-Gibson case.

At the end of the day I’m gonna do what is right for me which will probably be selling the black one. I never understood why they made them black in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Personally I think the black Custom Shop cases are better than the tan ones. But at the end of the day it's your guitar and case so do what you want.

guitardon

Reaction score
Personally I think the black Custom Shop cases are better than the tan ones. But at the end of the day it's your guitar and case so do what you want.
Ur right the black ones are structurally better. I’m an older guy that had an original 58 back in the day. Influenced by that I like the new OEM cases that are like my old one. I was getting ready to sell the black one and decided to see what forum members think. Not a big deal, just curious. I’m not making a mountain out of a molehill. In my eyes the aged case is an upgrade.. I simply winded to hear from y’all. Peace. :cool:

guitardon

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a sidenote. I forgot my wife’s electric1962 Gibson mandolin had the pink lining of the 50s. I just opened up the case and wanted to report none of the new cases are right. The pink on the original is actually somewhere between the new pink ones and the crimson ones that have been around for a while. And of course the black ones not even in the same league as far as authenticity. No this is a big deal, I just thought I’d post this just for fun. At any rate I still favor with newer new were thin profile brown cases. They just look right to me

dspelman

Reaction score

I consider myself the “owner” of my things, not the “caretaker for the next guy”.
I've transitioned from the "owner" of some guitars to a "caretaker" role over time. I have guitars that I purchased long ago for pocket change that have become worth silly money over time. It's unlikely that any Gibson LP purchased today will achieve that status, given the volume of guitars they produce in a year, but the whole whackadoodle vintage market for fifties Gibson LPs is a different story.

I own a '67 Lamborghini that was worth $13K when I bought it (I'd never owned a 12-cylinder car before) . Over time, it's become worth mid-six-figures doing little more than sitting on rotting tires in my garage. Since less than 250 were ever built, and since a number of them are known to have hit the crusher, its value has accelerated, and I'm now a caretaker.

guitardon

Reaction score
I've transitioned from the "owner" of some guitars to a "caretaker" role over time. I have guitars that I purchased long ago for pocket change that have become worth silly money over time. It's unlikely that any Gibson LP purchased today will achieve that status, given the volume of guitars they produce in a year, but the whole whackadoodle vintage market for fifties Gibson LPs is a different story.

I own a '67 Lamborghini that was worth $13K when I bought it (I'd never owned a 12-cylinder car before) . Over time, it's become worth mid-six-figures doing little more than sitting on rotting tires in my garage. Since less than 250 were ever built, and since a number of them are known to have hit the crusher, its value has accelerated, and I'm now a caretaker.
So true, ya never know. One day some might say those 02 R8’s have the most beautiful flame tops and they didn’t make that many of them. Hypothetically it could go up in value but I doubt it. Like you said so many have been made that are more accurate, prettier, better neck profile, better pickups etc. etc. etc. My original post was simply to get forum members opinions before I get rid of the case. Not that I listen to you guys:run: but I will take it into account. The top on my 02 R8 far exceeds most guitars I’ve seen to date including most R9’s CC models etc. The top will be the selling point.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don’t you pony up a pic of your R8....with it’s case.....;)

Last edited:

guitardon

Reaction score
Why don’t you pony up a pic of your R8....with it’s case.....;)
Of course, we all love to show off our beauties. Here she is. This is the third time I’ve owned her, I stupidly sold it twice but was able to get it back. I was a snob back then and didn’t like the inaccuracies of this guitar. Once I got over the snob factor I realized this guitar is incredible looking playing and sounding. She looks just fine in a brown aged or an aged correct specs case. The black ones cool too but I never liked it. I played it a lot over the last 20 years so she has honest aging. I know every nick and dent on it because I put them there. So now that you see my beauty would you get upset because I was selling it with an upgraded historically accurate brown case over the black one?

img_0198.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads