How I killed my amp GAS. Weird.

Jacko

Reaction score
I just realized I've now had my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 for a year now and haven't GAS'd for another amp since then. Amazing. Previous 4 amps: Traynor YCV 50 Blue, Orange Thunderverb 200, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, Mesa Boogie Mark V. So versatile and the heaviest sounding amp I've owned. I didn't think a $450 amp could kill my amp GAS.

I wanted a head, but couldn't get the looks of fangs and combo, so I built a head enclosure:

I heart my Vypyr:

vhead20.jpg

What's also odd is that I haven't bought a stompbox in over a year, too. I had close to 20 when I sold the Mark V.

I'm still working on killing my guitar GAS. :D In the last month I got these:

bluelp01.jpg

Any of you have something similar happen? Still have the same amp for years and years and never even thought of changing amps?

moff40

Reaction score
I went to an ElevenRack a couple of months back, and so far, it has replaced all of my guitar and bass amps, and my pedalboard. But I've gone the modelling amp route before, (Line 6 Flextones and Pods), and though they cured my GAS for a couple of years, I ended up back at tube amps. So this time, I've hung onto my Plexi/412, Mk V/2x12, and SVT3Pro/410, just in case...

Deftone

Reaction score
I had a very simple guitar put together, with all my favorite features and it has me thinking about selling a lot of stuff. Sometimes it's nice to just keep things simple.

Jacko

Reaction score
I went to an ElevenRack a couple of months back, and so far, it has replaced all of my guitar and bass amps, and my pedalboard. But I've gone the modelling amp route before, (Line 6 Flextones and Pods), and though they cured my GAS for a couple of years, I ended up back at tube amps. So this time, I've hung onto my Plexi/412, Mk V/2x12, and SVT3Pro/410, just in case...

Sweet. I have an Eleven Rack too. That's what I use for recording.

moff40

Reaction score
Sweet. I have an Eleven Rack too. That's what I use for recording.

I use mine for live as well as recording. You'd be surprised at how many newer major-label projects have been done using the 11R. It's become the new defacto standard, dethroning the Pod after all these years.

As an aside, I was trying to setup my XT Live as a backup, in case anything happened to the 11R. I tried for days to duplicate the 11R patches on the XTL, but the XTL just couldn't come anywhere close. That surprised me because, the XTL sounded fine to me when I used to use it a few years back, but compared side by side against the 11r, it's no contest. The 11R just sounds and feels more like the real thing, and has a "breathiness" to it, like a well-placed mic, that the XTL just cannot duplicate.

Jacko

Reaction score
True dat. I know Billy Gibbons has an 11R in his studio.

IMG_2698-1.jpg

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
Can't complain about that!
Good on you.
And the blue LP...Mmmmm.

:D

Jacko

Reaction score
I had a very simple guitar put together, with all my favorite features and it has me thinking about selling a lot of stuff. Sometimes it's nice to just keep things simple.

True true. It's liberating to get rid of a lot of unused gear.

Deftone

Reaction score
True true. It's liberating to get rid of a lot of unused gear.

If one particular combination is covering my needs, then the rest becomes useless. It's just like money sitting around. I prefer to liquidate.

Latest Threads