how have your tastes changed since you joined...

sk8rat

Reaction score
since you joined mlp how have your tastes changed?

mine have changed drastically

amps;
fender> marshall
slight overdrive> high gain
combo>stack
small amp > big amp

effects;
only using reverb> wanting a shitload of pedals/effects

guitars;
neck pickup> bridge pickup
dont mind strats or strat tone
no longer feel gas
no longer as obsessed with les pauls as I once was

on top of that I gained a bigger appreciation for rory gallagher, hendrix, jd simo, cream, fruciante and a ton of other players and bands. I really like jazz guitar now. before I couldn't stand it. while jimmy page is still my favorite musician, peter green has a bigger influence on me stylistically.

a lot can happen/change in 5 years.

smk506

Reaction score
I joined a little over 10 years ago, it’s hard to remember all the changes. Some that pop to mind are

Amps

Marshall=Fender. Used to be dyed in the wool fender lover.

Pedals=straight into amp. Used to not care
Much for them, now I like them but still mostly plug straight in.

I like teles now, didn’t have much use for them then.

My tastes in Pickups has changed a bit. I had 4 guitars all sporting bill Lawrence buckers then. I’m down to 2.5 now and seriously contemplating swapping them out of 2 of them in favor of some others I have floating around.

I play cleaner more often than I did.

I play more leads than I did.

I play plugged into an amp 80% of the time now, I used to mostly play unplugged walking around or sitting on the couch.

That last one I’ve found to be the most important. It’s amazing what you can get away with playing an electric guitar unplugged as far as bad technique goes. You really need your amp to hear what works and what doesn’t.

I still have GAS, but nowhere near the level I used to. And now it’s mostly for different amps vs more guitars.

I’m less of a cork sniffer. I still think there are subtle tonal differences attributed to certain things, I just don’t give a shit anymore :laugh2: Very little can’t be equalized one way or another.

My musical taste has changed too. I find I value pop songs more than I used to. I don’t need guitar in a song to want to play that song on the guitar.

I have no more aspirations at being a great guitarist or being in a band, it is what it is and I am what I am. A semi decent hobbyist having fun.

Sharky

Reaction score
It’s amazing what you can get away with playing an electric guitar unplugged as far as bad technique goes. You really need your amp to hear what works and what doesn’t.
absolutely true. Playing plugged in requires way more discipline and a cleaner, more precise technique

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
I was just thinking about how MLP has completely influenced my rig.

I had a Mesa Heartbreaker combo 100/60w, 6L6 and EL34 at the same time. I had a Power Soak for a while but finally downsized to smaller amp heads with a cab. Went through a Krank Rev jr. mini stack, a couple Phaez amps and now that's all I have. A 35w Phaez Mesa clone and a 10w Phaez Marshall Clone. Sourmash oversized 2x12 with Celestion V30 & a G12H. Everything, even tube selection was influenced by MLP.

I think I was using a shitty Digitech processor back in '07, and now I have a pedal board with two EQ's, one before the amp and one in the loop. Tuner > MXR 6 band EQ > EH Metal Muff > Amp. Loop Out > MXR 10 Band EQ > Guyatone Delay > BBE Stinger > Loop In. Everything, was influenced by MLP except maybe the delay and the Stinger.

Even my #1 1989 Les Paul Custom Lite with a Floyd was purchased in the MLP classifieds. One of my Charvel's was sort of an MLP project, with contributions by members and the neck pocket was machined by Doug Kauer at Kauer guitars. I use SD JB's, Bournes pots and .047 PIO caps almost exclusively now because of MLP.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
-Smaller amps (15W tube) > big ones (80W and 50W)
-Head/cab > combo
-Cork-sniffing is in many ways ridiculous
-That said, some boutique stuff IS among the best gear out there (e.g. Friedman BE-OD)
-There are pedal makers beyond BOSS and Ibanez

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm seven years older....

I don't gig that much any longer...

There is life beyond playing guitar...

defcrew

Reaction score
from now on all underwear will be worn on the outside!! (woody allen movie)
....so we can check that you change it three times a day. Great movie (Bananas)

I have quit playing LPs as much since I got here but that can always go back the other way. A back injury helped in this decision. I don't know how many things are because of as opposed to happening to be concurrent with. Mos def have become a little more comfortably conservative in some views although not to the right of Atilla the Hun. Again, prob more just station in life and age related--like the back and the LP! OP is prob right re playing unplugged but I'll still likely do it more than not as it allows for more playing overall as it can be done concurrent with other activities like chilling with wife watching baseball in living room. I have suspected it for decades but am more sure now than ever that rock and roll is a museum piece.

AlanBiker

Reaction score
When I saw this I thought it said "how have your testes changed", I thought that was a bit personal but I'm off to the opticions now, carry on.

Alan

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
I still like the same things for the most part

Charvels and Les Pauls
Marshall’s with EL 34 tubes
MXR Distortion Plus
Boss CE 2
Boss digital delays

Titties

NotScott

Reaction score
I am still partial to my vintage tube amps but my Kemper and Amplifire have opened my ears to digital possibilities.

I am now as well versed in Les Paul minutiae as I am in Strat minutiae.

I discovered that all Epiphones are not Chinese firewood.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
I've gone from flipping guitars and amps at a crazy pace, and focusing on way to many things back to mostly classical again. I still play electric but I quit flipping too.

MSB

Reaction score
PG off tall rings and top wrap

Leumas

Reaction score
I have better gear. I went through a strat phase. Now I'm back to mainly Les Pauls. I play cleaner and slower. I have a small pedal board to enhance things a tad. I don't have hair anymore. I'm selling/giving away most of my low end stuff and trying to have a smaller effective collection as opposed to a big stable of ok stuff. Now I work on all my own electrics and next I'm trying my hand at a refin with a cheap tokai.

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
I like dark chocolate now. Other than that, no change.