How have these sellers not been flagged? What am I missing?

Texas_Baby_Huey

Reaction score
So every other day or so I'll search for certain guitars on ebay and reverb. And if there is a certain model I am looking for I used to get excited to see one show up. But there is this shop in Japan that has 2 or 3 different shop names, but they are all using the same images. I thought this was against ebay's rules. Each shop (I thought) is supposed to have their own image of each item they sell, not all use the same stock images.

Here is an example of 3 shops using the same image. I now have to select "North America" as a search criteria now because of these people, they have literally caused a tumor of sorts on my standard searches.

While it's just a button click and I certainly haven't reported them to ebay, is this annoying or even concerning to anyone else?

This is a blackout series in yellow, these three shops are all using similar pictures and sometimes have 3 or 4 similar listings with the same images.

If one of these sells, do the other 2 stores remove their listing? I've seen ebay do some shady stuff to legitimate sellers and side with buyers on OBVIOUS scams, but how have none of these been flagged?

Utmost

Reaction score
Trogly did a video on it. IIRC They are basically brokers listing the same item for sale at whatever shop it is actually residing in. I’m sure more can chime in and correct or verify me.

MoJoe77

Reaction score
I love the 14x identical listed guitars from Japan, I just learned to check the "US only" filter and pay them no mind. I feel eBay is gone in terms of quality control it's grown into a monster, I tend to do reverb specifically because of that.

ARandall

Reaction score
As such, you will get the guitar listed in the ad. So there is no scam or misrepresentation at all. If you find the original possessor of the guitar you will get it a lot cheaper.....That's all. But looking at a .it of sites on the net you find the same product for sale at wildly fluctuating prices too.

So there is nothing to flag there. They are not advertising a non existent guitar, nor are they advertising a fake. If you buy from any 1 of the listings you will get the advertised product at the price you bought it at. That's as down the line as a sale can possibly be.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
As AR said above, and IIRC there was a thread in here a while back about Japanese sellers not owning (or in possession of) the guitars they are selling...

They are a bunch of brokers all advertising the same guitars across the market..

Whoever gets the bite buys it from the actual owner for whatever amount and sends it to the buyer from himself.

The rest of the brokers then take down their ads after the sale.

The tricky part is if seller A gets a hit at the same time as seller B and seller B beats him to the pickup.

But if that happens seller A simply refunds the money to buyer and notifies him that it is no longer available, and he's sorry.

No one gets hurt, but the only down side is if you happen to really WANT that one, you risk getting it sold out from under you quicker because of the multiple listings and first sold, first gets.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
I had a very positive experience with this and found a guitar that was produced for that region only and not available locally. I received the exact guitar that was advertised.

Pick the seller with the lowest price.

Texas_Baby_Huey

Reaction score
I had a very positive experience with this and found a guitar that was produced for that region only and not available locally. I received the exact guitar that was advertised.

Pick the seller with the lowest price.
Was it a Tak model? I'm just curious.

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
Yeah... brokers are normally used to sell. Helps sellers facilitate bi-lingual communications and international processing.

Pete M

Reaction score
I'm glad someone brought this up. I've wondered for years about these dodgy looking multiple listings from Japan on Ebay.

judson

Reaction score
interesting responses as i have always click the USA only filter on any ebay search when it comes up for anything with one exception to try the China thing and actually bought a fret file for $10 i think that a USA seller was sellling for $79...so it took a few weeks to get but i was impressed...

back on the japan thing...are these guitars real Gibson...i thought they all were Chibsons as prices seemed dirt cheap?? ok maybe not dirt cheap but more reasonable maybe :dunno:

Last edited:

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
interesting responses as i have always click the USA only filter on any ebay search when it comes up for anything with one exception to try the China thing and actually bought a fret file for $10 i think that a USA seller was sellling for $79...so it took a few weeks to get but i was impressed...

back on the japan thing...are these guitars real Gibson...i thought they all were Chibsons as prices seemed dirt cheap?? ok maybe not dirt cheap but more reasonable maybe :dunno:
The ones that OP is asking about were in the $4000 range, definitely not a cheap Chibson.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah... brokers are normally used to sell. Helps sellers facilitate bi-lingual communications and international processing.
Thank you! That fills in a missing piece of info for me....:thumb:

We could do the same thing to sell our stuff abroad without knowing the language and risking getting hosed...

Good point!

joesatch

Reaction score

moreles

Reaction score
Generalizations are meaningless. The situation with Japanese sellers is obvious, commonplace, and shows up all the time if you look for even modestly higher-end guitars. You need to do your due diligence to weed out scams, but it usually becomes clear which are legit (most) and which are iffy. I think true scammers are rare among Japanese sellers, but some sellers are good and professional about conducting transactions and shipments, while others are not.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, they see guitars for sale in Japan and then list it on ebay for a profit. Then if you buy the guitar on ebay they will attempt to go to the shop that really has the guitar and buy it for you.

Some people are ok with this to get the guitar they want, and others consider it a hinky practice. Usually you can find the guitar from the actual seller with a bit of detective work and buy it for less though.

Sparky84

Reaction score
I successfully made a purchase from one of these Japanese eBay sellers, so I can confirm that at least some of them are legitimate. The communication was good and everything worked fine. But that was after I engaged with a different guy and got close to pulling the trigger, but suddenly the guitar was unavailable - confirming that multiple brokers are trying to hawk the same guitar. But my experience with the second guy was a breeze.

dka-65

Reaction score
I am glad I stumbled upon this thread, a little sad that I found it a little too late. I have been looking for a Strat recently and found a couple that were from Japan and not available in my market, but I found multiple listings (3 or 4) for each one and decided it was easier to go with another one I wanted.
Good for future purchases though.