How hard would it be to repair this neck joint (looks like it needs a reset)?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm considering this guitar as it's a high end MIJ 335 replica. It might be a nitro finish, but it's possible it's poly.

I definitely see gaps where it looks like the neck has separated from the joint. I've never dealt with one like this before.

Troy McClure

Reaction score
The lifted fret board might work in your favour as it'll make life easier to get steam in there to take off the neck. Even a poly finish might be a bonus as you should be able to cut cleanly along the joint line and not lose much finish taking the neck off. I've seen quite a few poly finishes repaired using black superglue that are hard to spot unless you know they're there. Should be doable for a competent DIYER and no problem for a pro to get it up and running.
What model is it? Navigator , Tokai? It's usually not too hard to find the specs of the MIJ models

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
The lifted fret board might work in your favour as it'll make life easier to get steam in there to take off the neck. Even a poly finish might be a bonus as you should be able to cut cleanly along the joint line and not lose much finish taking the neck off. I've seen quite a few poly finishes repaired using black superglue that are hard to spot unless you know they're there. Should be doable for a competent DIYER and no problem for a pro to get it up and running.
What model is it? Navigator , Tokai? It's usually not too hard to find the specs of the MIJ models
Greco SA 59-120. I haven't looked up specs yet as I kind of wanted to know what I might be in for first.

Roxy13

Reaction score
So steam it to loosen it, remove the neck, reset and reglue and clamp it down?

Tweaker

Reaction score
Depends on what glue they used...if it was a titebond type of glue, you'll have to remove all the glue before regluing. I don't know what glue Greco used, so that might be worth a little research as well.

emoney

Reaction score
Looks like somebody might have dug in there before, maybe in an attempt to get it off. If I had to guess, I'd say prepare
yourself for poly. Matter of fact, someone may have reset this in the past because the action was too high and just did a poor -to - no effort in making it look good. When you zoom in on the fretboard, you can see someone has removed quite a bit of wood closer to the end of the body as it's taller near the pickup. Classic move when your action is too high because there's not enough angle on the neck. Not the way it SHOULD be done, but done nevertheless. Whatever it is, best to do a complete refin and then whatever repairs are necessary won't show.

emoney

Reaction score
Make sure the price is adjusted accordingly, btw, if you haven't thought about that. This isn't one of those "Knock a $100 off" type situations as it's going to be rather labor intensive.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Make sure the price is adjusted accordingly, btw, if you haven't thought about that. This isn't one of those "Knock a $100 off" type situations as it's going to be rather labor intensive.
It's an auction. Right now it's at about $50. But, there will be proxy fees and shipping would be about $100. So I'm watching it, but if it gets much higher than that, I will not be bidding.

Roxy13

Reaction score
If i had to bet looking at how the finish has "chipped" in certain spots. That's poly.
So even their highest model for 335 replicas had poly in 1982? I tried looking at it in the catalogs but every one I looked at was in Japanese.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Ok, what little info I have found says it is nitro. They made 3 models of 335 replicas that year and this is the high end one.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Well i've been wrong before Roxy. This could be another . I have a '84 Greco Custom that is poly and has very similar chips where it has taken a beating over the years. If you are the only one bidding it would make a good project either way.

It's strange how the binding has yellowed yet the actual nibs are still white. Magic marker ??

Roxy13

Reaction score
Well i've been wrong before Roxy. This could be another . I have a '84 Greco Custom that is poly and has very similar chips where it has taken a beating over the years. If you are the only one bidding it would make a good project either way.

It's strange how the binding has yellowed yet the actual nibs are still white. Magic marker ??
Someone may have been sanding them polishing frets. It doesn't look like a previous owner (or several) were particularly careful with it.

It's Villager's website that lists it as having nitro. I figure he would know.

I think if those were poly chips there might be some jagged, nasty cracks to go with them.

There is also a crack on the back of the HS and neck, but it looks pretty minor.

If it stays pretty low I'd be willing to do my best to repair it.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I thought from your 1st pics it was all black 335. Haha time for a new monitor.

I'd trust what Villager's site says. He's had many pass through his hands.

Troy McClure

Reaction score
It's an auction. Right now it's at about $50. But, there will be proxy fees and shipping would be about $100. So I'm watching it, but if it gets much higher than that, I will not be bidding.

Go a lot higher than $50, people will be bidding on it simply for the Dry Z pups these days. You'd be looking at spending at least 250,000 yen for a SA1200 without any issues as they're reasonably rare so can't see it going too cheap but nothing ventured nothing gained.

B. Howard

Reaction score
335 necks , by design do not steam out easily, they are not dovetail as on a hollow body see here where I replace a 335 neck.https://howardguitars.blogspot.com/2017/10/new-neck-for-old-friend

And actually the crack on the back of the neck is more concerning to me than the neck joint from what I see. That follows the edge of the truss rod channel to nicely to be anything but a crack through.....

Roxy13

Reaction score
Go a lot higher than $50, people will be bidding on it simply for the Dry Z pups these days. You'd be looking at spending at least 250,000 yen for a SA1200 without any issues as they're reasonably rare so can't see it going too cheap but nothing ventured nothing gained.
From what I could find it should have Dry 82s, not Dry Zs. Yes, if it had Dry Zs people will go after it just for the pickups.