How Far Do You Commute For Work?

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think the train ride would make it more bearable for me as opposed to driving through traffic for 70 minutes

I would think that the commute wouldn't generally be "As bad" in cities with a good mass transit system. One thing that Houston DOESN'T have is that.

You're basically screwed if you don't have your own vehicle, and have more than a couple of miles to go.

If they had a train from my end of town to where I work, I'd probably take it.

music to my ears

Reaction score
I have an 86 mile trip each way. With traffic, it takes about 2 hours. I leave for work at 5:30am and get home at about 8:30pm.

Thats rough but do what you gotta do right. I've heard of people doing that but there salary/compensation usually out weighs the cost/hassle of the commute.

Pennyman

Reaction score
I ride my bike every day that I can. If I stay on the main road, it's 2.5 km from gate-to-gate, about 8-or-9 minutes or so. However, I don't really enjoy taking my life in my hands playing in heavy morning traffic, so I usually detour down to the park and ride along the shoreline. It pretty much doubles my riding distance, but it's way more relaxing. I see tons of old folks doing tai-chi or something similar every day. That ride takes about 20 minutes.

One day after work I was in a real hurry to get home, so I boogied up the main road. From the time I pulled out of the gates at school, to putting my key in the door, was just a hair over 5 minutes. :naughty:

River

Reaction score
hahah, a DINO. I love it.
cartoon-tyrannosaurus-rex.png

Reaction score
when I work for the film industry, I could easily spend 4 hours a day commuting to the different studios. UGH.
The money was great though and the work was easy.......compared to what I'm doin' in the down swing.

HARDWEAR

Reaction score
57 miles one way. Then after I get there, I load up and then drive to different locations everyday. I have an 06 Chevy truck. Bought it new in June of 06 with 4 miles on it. It now has over 194,000 miles on it. :(

huffdaddy

Reaction score
For my full-time job, an hour and twenty minutes. But its for 24 hour shifts so the commute doesn't seem as bad.

Also, satellite radio is a lifesaver !

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I drive about an hour a day. I live in the city, and my school is in the city, but on the opposite end.

HARDWEAR

Reaction score
Note to long commuters........CHANGE YOUR OIL FAITHFULLY. Also, your tranny and differential fluids as recommended.

Reaction score
I worked for a private detective firm years ago. I spent insane hours in my vehicle, driving as well as surveillance.
I will never do that again.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I live about a mile from work.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
18.3 miles. Takes about 25 minutes or less for me to get there-- depending on traffic and whether I get lucky at the stop lights or not.

Used to have two routes to choose from-- US92 through the Crane Swamp or I-4, aka The Highway to Hell. But right now, 92 is et up with repairs and such, and so if I choose that option I always end up behind somebody who is intimidated by all the barricades and so does about thirty miles per hour even though the speed limit signs read 55.

And so lately I only take that route on my way back home. It might be quicker and more expedient, but I-4 features motorists who insist on doing about 90mph or so, even though the speed limit is only 70.

You sprinkle a few of these speed demons in with people who they scare into doing about 55 out there, and it gets to be real fun during rush hours...

And that's why the locals call it the Highway to Hell!

--R :laugh2:

blusmbl

Reaction score
I'm 8 miles away. Takes 15 minutes making it through every light, and about 25 minutes in a snowstorm. It's almost too short. I've done longer commutes, anything more than ~45 minutes or so gets to be a drag for me. You start losing too much time if there are any adverse conditions, it seems to happen often either due to accidents or weather.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I walk to work everyday. I also walk to the store whenever I can. It saves gas money, and I cannot freakin' stand commuting.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I use to drive from New Braunfels, TX to Marble Falls, TX in my 72 Super Beetle for about a year that was 96 miles door step to door step.
I've got a 73 Super Beetle that I'd like to get fixed up so I can use it for my commute for better gas. I used to have a 8 mile / 10 minute commute until we moved last year. Now it's a 30 mile / 45 minute commute, but it's worth it to be closer to other things. We have just about anything we want or need within a mile or two.

EasyAce

Reaction score
I have an arduous commute of about twenty five feet . . . from my bedroom to my home office. (I'm a free-lance writer and editor.)

BigAl

Reaction score
Approximately an hour.

20-25 minutes driving to the subway, 20-25 minutes spent on the train, 10 minutes spent walking after getting off the train at my stop.

I love downtown Toronto though, so it's no drag for me :).

toronto_8.jpg

12watt

Reaction score
Across the hall. Ironically, I now live within a few hundred yards of the offices I spent six years commuting 20 miles a day to and from.

Latest Threads