How does this headstock repair look

jaqueh

Reaction score
Saw a really good deal on a local Craigslist ad of a 2012 LP Standard. What do you guys think of this headstock repair though? He is asking for almost $800 under what a non-headstock repaired LP would go for.

thumbnail-4.jpeg

Attachments

jaqueh

Reaction score
Bad. It looks bad.

Amateurish and incomplete.

Will it hold together? Probably, if it feels solid.

$800 off? Not for me. If it is a $800 guitar and I otherwise liked everything about it I might consider it.

I’d want to know what glue was used, so I could take it apart and do it right.
Damn. Yeah my gut was that this looks like it was stuck on slightly off, and I am out of my league in making any repairs so I think it's wise for me to pass. I am also seeing the tuners are also all off, indicating they couldn't get other stuff correct on it anymore.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Damn. Yeah my gut was that this looks like it was stuck on slightly off, and I am out of my league in making any repairs so I think it's wise for me to pass. I am also seeing the tuners are also all off, indicating they couldn't get other stuff correct on it anymore.
Sadly, not only that but once it's glued, one has a whole lot of work to get over to do it right. All the old glue must be removed to fresh wood.

jaqueh

Reaction score
Sadly, not only that but once it's glued, one has a whole lot of work to get over to do it right. All the old glue must be removed to fresh wood.
Looking more closely at it, it looks like it happened right at the top truss rod cover screw, so that screwhole is totally messed up as well.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Seriously!
That guitar would have better value if it had NOT been repaired.
Now it's a fucking mess.

Don't spend your money.
Invest it in a proper guitar.

:thumb:

DaveSG

Reaction score
Eh, I've seen worse -

headstock-break-01.jpg

I have 3 Gibsons with headstock breaks. One that was broken in multiple places, twice. Ugliest headstock break I've had in my hands. Guitar works just fine. It a nice beater to take to the dive bars:cool2:

I say go and play it. If you really like it, make an offer.

Last edited:

jaqueh

Reaction score
Eh, I've seen worse -

View attachment 544471

I have 3 Gibsons with headstock breaks. One that was broken in multiple places, twice. Ugliest headstock break I've had in my hands. Guitar works just fine. It a nice beater to take to the dive bars:cool2:

I say go and play it. If you really like it, make an offer.
I don't have plans on fixing this, so I would hopefully take the repair as is, and that looks like one weird movement then the thing might break off again

Reactions: Who

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
When I was about 20 I broke an Epiphone headstock. I took it to get repaired and to save money I elected to just do a basic, sturdy repair with no finish work. It looked terrible, like the OP, but was a solid fix and I had that guitar for many more years.

Steven

Reaction score
He did a lousy job, it looks cracked.

JMP

Reaction score
Id avoid it, unless you could get it for cheap.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I would not shell out $1100 for that. I’d find out how much it would cost to clean up the repair and go from there.

Latest Threads