How does Epiphone do it?

wjlim22

Reaction score
You must really feel superior now. good for you. Let's continue in my native language if you're so smart.

Nahhh ... waste of my time.
No no. There is no human superior to others, but there are guitar players who play better than others! Apologies for the aggression.

Ok but I really do love Epiphones and I love Gibsons too. My whole point was that I bought 3 Epiphones instead of 1 Gibson. I was being sarcastic when I said fake. I think the whole turn around by both brands is fantastic. They are both making amazing products now.

On Friday, I have an Ebony Epiphone LP Custom and a 1959 dark burst Epi Lp arriving the same day! My wife is gonna be shocked but it will be a monumental day for me.

Last edited:

cerasgrgag

Reaction score
On Friday, I have an Ebony Epiphone LP Custom and a 1959 dark burst Epi Lp arriving the same day! My wife is gonna be shocked but it will be a monumental day for me.
I think this must be Gibson's strategy now. You can seemingly get 2 very good guitars and be happy with them rather than sitting online complaining that "real" custom shops are extortionate. And for about half the price of a Gibson LP standard?

They probably can't reduce the price of their LP standards much more than they already have and this scenario gives them more markup. I think most people happy to take an Epiphone were never likely to go with a Gibson anyway. Especially not a Custom shop VOS of any kind.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They probably can't reduce the price of their LP standards much more than they already have and this scenario gives them more markup. I think most people happy to take an Epiphone were never likely to go with a Gibson anyway. Especially not a Custom shop VOS of any kind.
Primarily due to the breadth of the line... from Studio/Tribute to Classic, to Standard, to the Slash and other models above $3k.
There is about $500 difference between each of those models.
Reduce the Standard and it starts to hurt the sales of the Classic.
Reduce the Classic and it hurts the Tribute.
Reduce the Tribute and it hurts Epiphone.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am going to give my new Epiphone Les Paul Custom BB a good go and see how she compares to my Gibson Custom. Who needs a 5k guitar when an under 1k guitar can fit the same bill. A lot of the Expensive guitars is Hype for sure, and we just strive sometimes to get one and convince ourselves that it is so much better. I have been playing guitar my whole life, since I was 15 years old, I know a nice guitar when I play one. I will give you guys my honest opinion between the two and we will go from there.

As far as this Epiphone Les Paul Custom Joe Bonamassa BB being a fake Gibson Les Paul Custom, that does not really make any sense. haha! It is a license between Gibson and Epiphone, Gibson actually owning Epiphone that have and can make actual Les Paul's, it's just not a USA made in Nashville Gibson Les Paul, it is a made in China Epiphone Les Paul. Obviously if you change the headstock to say Gibson and it's not, then it is a fake Gibson Les Paul. But... If your Les Paul says Epiphone on the headstock and you purchased it from a legitimate source that sells Epiphone Les Pauls, then it is not a Fake Epiphone Les Paul and it's of course not a fake Gibson Les Paul, because it says Epiphone on the headstock being an Epiphone Les Paul. lol

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Also.... I like the new Epiphone Headstock better than the Gibson Headstock. :naughty:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I did the side by side for a bit and put together a really quick clip, they sound very very close even though the Gibson Custom has 490R neck and 498T bridge. The necks are almost exactly the same, it was easy to switch back and forth, the feel is great on both. The action is a little lower on the Gibson, so it feels a little bit smoother, but I like the action a little bit higher than the Gibson has right now. The Epiphone Custom BB can be a little bit lower, I may take it to my tech for a nice professional setup now that I know I love this guitar.

http://www.rj-zero.com/misc/guitars/soundclips/epigibsoncompare.mp4

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome.
The tone is nearly indistinguishable. The Gibson *might* be just a touch fatter, but in a band mix you'd never hear it, and it's barely there as it is.

I saw a few comments about people intending to swap their B/N set for '59s before they even got their BBs, and a couple of the "early arrivals" reported that the bridge pickup was weak, so I was prepared for that, but so far, I've not heard anything that makes me want to change anything but the strings and fine-tune the setup.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am not great at setting up a guitar, I can make little adjustments, but if I mess with it to much I get string buzz. Leave it to the Pro's I say! haha

I wasn't thinking about it at the time, but I think Sweetwater will Plek it for you if you ask. You have to pay of course, but I forgot about it until it was already on it's way.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not great at setting up a guitar, I can make little adjustments, but if I mess with it to much I get string buzz. Leave it to the Pro's I say! haha

I wasn't thinking about it at the time, but I think Sweetwater will Plek it for you if you ask. You have to pay of course, but I forgot about it until it was already on it's way.
And then by the time it ships from Ohio to wherever you are and it acclimates to your area, that Plek job is worthless.

Gibson Pleks their Standards, and people still report high frets.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have some Hipshot Grip-Lock Keystone type tuners coming tomorrow for this girl, should be sweet. I think the tuners that came on the Epiphone Custom are just ok, although I tuned it up perfectly yesterday evening and today it was still perfectly in tune, I did not have to adjust anything and played her for an hour.

musicmaniac

Reaction score

How do the frets compare between the two? Some say there small on the Epi.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
This Epiphone Custom BB has Medium jumbo fretwire and the space between nut to first fretwire as well as fretwire to fretwire after that is just a tad bigger, where neck width is just a tad thinner. They both feel pretty much the same to me though because the difference is minimal.

Last edited:

Hogie34

Reaction score
They would be except for the fact that they are Gibsons made by Gibson! This is getting dumber and dumber dude. I tried to concede to your childish attitude, but still not enough. So here you go:

Hey everyone! This guy doesn't want us to call them fakes. Let's let him be happy.

There you go my friend. Hope you can get a good night's sleep now.
Man, I think you may be my long lost brother. :laugh2:
This Epiphone Custom BB has Medium jumbo fretwire and the space between nut to first fretwire as well as fretwire to fretwire after that is just a tad bigger, where neck width is just a tad thinner. They both feel pretty much the same to me though because the difference is minimal.
can you post a pic of the two guitars side by side? Would love to see how close they are in looks.

Last edited:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i own a 2015 gibby junior,2018 gibby tribute GT and a 2020 epi special.if the special were painted in nitro and had an aluminum tailpiece on it you would really have a tough time telling the quality difference between the three...

fleahead

Reaction score
I took my '97 Epip korina V and moved the bridge pup to where it's supposed to be, after a few years. Added a new black pickguard. The tonal difference was very real to my ears.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I took my '97 Epip korina V and moved the bridge pup to where it's supposed to be, after a few years. Added a new black pickguard. The tonal difference was very real to my ears.
How much did you move it ?

Latest Threads