How do you tryout pedals?

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like most, I’ve been through so many pedals it makes my head spin - I’ve concluded that you have to try them out with your rig to see what works - there’s some retailers out there with really generous return policies (coast sonic, sweetwater, etc.), as long as you don’t abuse them - watching video reviews can be helpful to understand how the pedal functions and to see what options are available, but you need to ultimately try them out to see what works for you - and since we’re talking pedals, here’s an obligatory shot of my current board!
View attachment 553101
Just got an El Cap and a Flint. I love them both.

Cory

Reaction score
Just got an El Cap and a Flint. I love them both.
Awesome - the El Cap has got to be my all time favorite pedal - I had a Flint too at one point, which is also a really great pedal - if it wasn’t for the ability on the BlueSky to control the high and low tone independently, I probably would have stuck with the Flint

rogue3

Reaction score
Buy them.play them.bin them after a while when moving on to something new.Then bring them back out a few years down the line and re-discover how good they really are!(or how bad,lol) :)

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I buy mine used on eBay and Reverb for ridiculously cheap prices and then sell them for a profit of they don’t work out.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy, try, use or put in the "crap I shouldn't have bought" box.

TrippyStormtrooper

Reaction score
I buy mine for a premium new, wait out the return policy then sell them later for a major loss. I've been doing this for years and I am on my way to financial ruin. Gonna sell a kidney soon for a new fuzz.

moreles

Reaction score
Buy them online and return them?
Never. I consider that unethical. As many others have said, buying used and reselling is easy and fairer to all involved. I do that via EBay and Reverb, but also Craigslist. Going to a shop and trying their pedals is something I do -- I auditioned 12 delays recently -- but then I buy from that shop, I don't just stroll home and go online (which is also unethical, IMO). Since I hate verbal hype and think video reviews and shootouts are garbage, trying stuff is important for me.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
The only way I know if something will work is if it try it for myself with my rig. In general, I don’t even bother to demo it in the store, if I want it I’ll bring it home and demo it.

Usually that means I‘ll buy locally and bring it back if it doesn’t work out, however some places will let me take stuff home and try it without paying.

Latest Threads