How do you tryout pedals?

Lhdr

Reaction score
What are there options to trying out different guitar pedals?

Buy them online and return them?

Use Guitar Center return policy?

Rent?

smk506

Reaction score
I’ve had really good luck just asking the employees to let me plug in and tryout pedals at the pedal testing area virtually every guitar store has. :dunno:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
I usually have my interest in a pedal piqued by watching something online, often something I come across on 'That Pedal Show' or a review of one that interests me. If I like it I'll buy it, I have an ECHOLTD 2° on the way that should be with me next week...

https://godlyke.com/collections/cicognani/products/echoltd-2-delay

That was simply the result of me having GAS for something Binson-esque that my current delays can't quite achieve

ADF

Reaction score
Usually I hear a sound on a record that I wish to incorporate into one of my own songs. Since I'm more or less obsessed with pop/rock from the 70's and 80's, I have a couple of things going for me.

First, most of the time what I'm looking for isn't going to be too esoteric. Boss pedals were used on countless recordings. The Police, Prince, Whitesnake, the list is endless.

Secondly, it's often easy to verify exactly what was used. For instance, Al McKay from Earth, Wind, and Fire did a Hot Licks video in which he shows his gear. Sure enough, lots of Boss pedals.;)

I know people get tired of hearing about Sweetwater; but Don Carr's videos on their sales pages are excellent. He is always concise, demonstrating the possibilities of the pedals, without constantly begging me to 'hit like and subscribe,' without trying to be the coolest guy on the planet, and without delving into wankery. I'm usually clear on whether the pedal will suit my needs after 3-5 minutes with Don Carr.

Max Max

Reaction score
I tried YouTube reviews with headphones but it's hit or miss. Sometimes it's exactly like what I heard in the review and I'm happy with the pedal and other times you figure out that the very nice, high end amplifier that the reviewer is playing through is doing the heavy lifting tone wise.

JMP

Reaction score
What are there options to trying out different guitar pedals?

Buy them online and return them?

Use Guitar Center return policy?

Rent?
I do a lot of research and buy used basic pedals ( nothing particularly boutique-y or expensive). It’s a low risk way of trying stuff out.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
I just buy them if I'm interested in the effect. I went through a few delay pedals before I found one I actually like. Which happens to be a Joyo of all brands. I preferred that over the DD5 and various other higher end brands.

Cory

Reaction score
Like most, I’ve been through so many pedals it makes my head spin - I’ve concluded that you have to try them out with your rig to see what works - there’s some retailers out there with really generous return policies (coast sonic, sweetwater, etc.), as long as you don’t abuse them - watching video reviews can be helpful to understand how the pedal functions and to see what options are available, but you need to ultimately try them out to see what works for you - and since we’re talking pedals, here’s an obligatory shot of my current board!
33FA010B-6892-4F9F-9F85-5B50A8AFBBEF.jpeg

zdoggie

Reaction score
I have a good wah-wah a peacock dist pedal and that is it I try to accomplish what I'm after without processing, my amp has a digital reverb that is really good so I try to utilize my amp to get it done

zdog

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Go to Guitar Center you can try out every pedal new or used!

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Meatwad

Reaction score
If you are anywhere near Sweetwater they have Over 1,100 guitar and bass pedals you can try out.

View attachment 553128
Yup.

Been there many times......their showroom is unreal.

I usually listen to reviews from Andy at ProGuitarShop, or Pete Thorn's videos.
Those guys know how to do a proper demonstration.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
It also helps to understand the "science" of what the peddle does.

Understand the difference between an Overdrive and Distortion or Flanger and Chorus.

Don't just randomly twist knobs.
It's good to have some expectations of what will happen to the sound when you turn a knob.

On some pedals, it might even be a good idea to go on-line and read their instructions before trying them.

Latest Threads