How Do You Treat Your Les Pauls?

James Hill

Reaction score
I treat mine very badly. Especially regarding temparture changes. The guitar is located in my bedroom and during the day, it gets cold because the window get opened for fresh air. In the evenings it gets warm, because the heating is on. For a couple of years already.

This, in combination with my very sweaty hands and the fact that it is my only guitar and because of that gets a lot of playtime, has caused some finish problems; the finish is wearing down all the way to the bare wood in the areas where my hands make most contact with the guitar. haha.

However, the guitar has never disappointed me, neck relief doesnt change and it stays in tune. That is why I love it.

How do you treat them?
My 17 Standard lives in the case, it is as flawless as the day l purchased it. I bought an Eastman Solid Body "59" Varnished about the same time..for me it's a far better all around guitar in EVERY aspect..sucks to say this about a Chineses product but again...for ME.. it's true. So my LP is a case Queen.

fleahead

Reaction score
I beat mine to shit. Whoever gets it after I die can say whatever they want about it.

I bump it, it's got dings everywhere. Don't care. Not going to sell it. My son doesn't play, I'm sure it'll get sold on down the line.

IGRocker

Reaction score
I change the strings every month or so. On occasion, I move it from leaning against the window sill by my amp to the stand right next to it

NiteGoat

Reaction score
I treat mine very badly. Especially regarding temparture changes. The guitar is located in my bedroom and during the day, it gets cold because the window get opened for fresh air. In the evenings it gets warm, because the heating is on. For a couple of years already.

This, in combination with my very sweaty hands and the fact that it is my only guitar and because of that gets a lot of playtime, has caused some finish problems; the finish is wearing down all the way to the bare wood in the areas where my hands make most contact with the guitar. haha.

However, the guitar has never disappointed me, neck relief doesnt change and it stays in tune. That is why I love it.

How do you treat them?
All of my guitars are kept in a home "studio", which is climate controlled all year round. I run a humidifier and space heater in the winter, and a window floor unit AC (my house is 100 years old) and I need to purchase a dehumidifier this summer. I keep a hygrometer in the closet in which my guitars are kept, in my home "studio". Every so often, they still need a neck tweak here and there. The only time I have treated them poorly, was when I drove them from CA, to Michigan, in the trunk of my car, in late November/early December. Also, my 1991 Gibson SG Special was not climate controlled until about 2011/2012. I even smashed a TV with her. But she has always been a fickle bitch.

I oil my fretboards about once a year - 2 years. And when not being played, my guitars are always in their cases. I also clean the strings after every use, with Fast Fret, then wipe down the neck with a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:

premiumplus

Reaction score
My '03 LP Std. PremiumPlus has some buckle dents on the back, but the front is in great shape. I play it hard but I take great care of it. My Ltd. edition 1968 Custom gets babied. It looks just like my original '68 LP Custom did when I brought it home from the music store new. It's gorgeous and I want to keep it that way.

HeavyAxe

Reaction score
When I first got MLP, the guitar was in and out of the case everyday...

Now it's never in it's case, but on a stand, subject to the elements, within easy reach for those times of inspirational brilliance.

Dirty.
Dusty.
Crusty.
Strung with old Boomers.

captdan61

Reaction score
Mine's been hanging on a hanger for 25 years. I play it daily or close to it. Wipe the fretboard down and clean the guitar a bit when I change strings. Still looks pretty new.View attachment 442672
Is that wine red? Or ox blood? It reminds me of my first new les paul i got in the mid seventies. Wish i still had it.

danohat

Reaction score
Wine red. I wanted a burst so bad but my best buddy's dad got him a honeyburst for graduation and I wanted something unique. I'm glad I chose wine red but I gotta tell you. I've never stopped wanting a honeyburst plain top.

cjp54

Reaction score
Like all my other guitars. With care and always on stands ready to play. My basement is my music sanctuary for all my instruments.

cewilli

Reaction score

How do you treat them?
I am a blues lawyer (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blues Lawyer) so mine stay in the cases. (And to the dude who says that "I think the OP is writing down how each of us answers in case we put something up in the Member Classifieds he'll know who babies their stuff and who doesn't.": I will never ever ever sell, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!)

Attachments

Steve2112

Reaction score

How do you treat them?

Some people pay a lot of money for relic'ing. :cool:

bonmanblue

Reaction score

How do you treat them?
I have never understood people that treat their guitars like a unwanted pet. C'mon, put it up after it is used like you would the tools in your shed. Are you going to tear up and scrape up something that you could never make yourself ? appreciate the instrument . A guitar is comfortable wherever a person would be. A person would not want to ride in the trunk of a car, or be left out in cold or hot conditions that would be uncomfortable to a human . I have always followed this rule and have never had any issues with my Les Paul's or any other guitar. When you make a living with your instrument (or not) and don't have money to keep replacing your instrument , you better treat it with respect.

Latest Threads