How Do You Treat Your Les Pauls?

bosnialove

Reaction score
I treat mine very badly. Especially regarding temparture changes. The guitar is located in my bedroom and during the day, it gets cold because the window get opened for fresh air. In the evenings it gets warm, because the heating is on. For a couple of years already.

This, in combination with my very sweaty hands and the fact that it is my only guitar and because of that gets a lot of playtime, has caused some finish problems; the finish is wearing down all the way to the bare wood in the areas where my hands make most contact with the guitar. haha.

However, the guitar has never disappointed me, neck relief doesnt change and it stays in tune. That is why I love it.

How do you treat them?

Last edited:

KBMelb

Reaction score
My 2014 LPC '54 reissue gets played A LOT and the finish naturally degraded and the hardware forget about it, so lets say I decided to experiment with temperature changes and now I have some really cool/proper horizontal checking emanating from where my arm and chest contact the guitar. The finish is also super hard now. Neck feels amazing and very slick.

RatDaddy

Banned
Reaction score
They sit in cases other than my first string players..some for years now. Not really playing LPs currently. I treat them as new though unless it's a good worn in player.

Elmore

Reaction score
Hanging on walls in a 50% humidity room. I want them close by for inspiration.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like they were my sainted mother. Never lay them so that the headstock is unsupported. Try to be mindful of things that I could bump the guitar into.

Pretty much treat them better than I treat my wife. ;)

Harpozep

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been sitting with mine a lot more due to shoulder and neck surgeries, so they get babied a bit. BUT they are of the "VOS" era, so they came slightly worn, not quite perfect/ yet not "Reliced". Sometimes I lean'em against trees when I'm not playing them. 2006 R54 Alnico with the P90 changed in the bridge position to a Lindy Fralin 10% over reverse wound.
Les Paul VOS R54 2006.jpg

Attachments

Blue Blood

Reaction score
I take mine out into the fields every morning while I run a team of Yaks tilling the soil, they get cold and muddy.
In the evening they sit close to the fire pit, letting the finish bubble up and finally cool down as the fire settles.
It is the way of my ancestors.

bosnialove

Reaction score
I don’t think the temperature changes are affecting the finish.
Well, certainly something happened, because when I bought the guitar two years ago, it was played, but still pretty much mint condition. Now two years on the finish is wearing down.

swampblues

Reaction score
I never baby a guitar unless I buy one to resale. Mine are played but not abused. Lol I’m the worst about not wiping one down unless it’s summer and outside playing. I do clean and oil my fretboard every string change

Side Burns

Reaction score
I treat mine very badly. Especially regarding temparture changes. The guitar is located in my bedroom and during the day, it gets cold because the window get opened for fresh air. In the evenings it gets warm, because the heating is on. For a couple of years already.

This, in combination with my very sweaty hands and the fact that it is my only guitar and because of that gets a lot of playtime, has caused some finish problems; the finish is wearing down all the way to the bare wood in the areas where my hands make most contact with the guitar. haha.

However, the guitar has never disappointed me, neck relief doesnt change and it stays in tune. That is why I love it.

How do you treat them?
:photos:

jwehrman

Reaction score
First I treat them to a night on the town with the finest of steak, perhaps a bottle of wine by candlelight. After things have loosened up a bit, perhaps a nice stroll by the like - weather permitting. Then we head back to my place. I offer a cup of coffee to take the edge off. I take my time, and when the moment is right, I make my move. The next day I offer a cab ride home. AND THEN I NEVER CALL AGAIN MUHAHHAHAHAHHA

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Played hard and put away wet. But always treated with respect - not left on a stand at rough gigs - not left in the sun - always has to draw blood before being sheathed.

Latest Threads