How do you straplock your Les Paul?

landguitar

Reaction score
I use the Dunlops on my LP's. I don't think they look funny...:hmm: And they seem really secure! I don't "swing" my guitars but I do move around on stage quite a bit, including some "jumping", so I learned many years ago to be careful - I hold on to my guitars, literally! Like some others have noted here, most of my guitars have their own strap, although I do use the same black and brown Gibson straps for my LP's, so the Dunlops make swapping straps easy! However, I just do the top strap button, as I find the bottom holds well on it's own. I think "stability" might also have to do with how low you hold the guitar as well...the lower you hold the more important locks might be...plus if you do do any "Slash" moves...

My other guitars - for the most part - have oversized strap buttons and having individual straps for them means each conforms or fits that guitar and it's buttons; I haven't had a problem. The couple of custom/boutique guitars I have, I have ordered them with Dunlops. I just like the way the strap "stinger" fits into the button on the guitar; I had a Strat with the Schallers and I found that more cumbersome to operate. Clearly others disagree!

I have not seen the Bona-locks before but think I will order a pack to see how they work, especially for my vintage Firebird! I think that's why Joe B. isn't replacing strap buttons - not on a vintage guitar!

Rds

Reaction score
Whatever you like as long as it works I would say. I've got a few things. One has dunlop with the center release button. Hadem on a studio for prob. 15 yrs. Never failed. My 16 trad came with oversized buttons that I really like. Just my 2 cents

jbash

Reaction score
I've gone back to the Ernie Ball/Fender/ Whowever else has their name on them rubber/black washers.

I've had two failures in the past few years with the big name metal locks.

Utmost

Reaction score
I got Schallers fairly soon after I got my trad pro. Been through a couple strap changes and settled on an Italia leather real deal strap. They are very nice and rather thick. One day whilst playing many months after I had switched to said strap I noticed the nut had come off the strap side on the lower bout and it was just luckily staying in place because of the heavy duty leather. I snagged a black washer from the hardware store and I’ll stick with that method going forward.

Benniator

Reaction score
I have a pair of Schallers that I'm considering installing on my '60s Standard.

John Nada

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips!

Now just to be clear: I don't throw my guitar around or anything that's suggested. But in normal non-corona related times I gig a lot and I move around on stage. I just don't want to re-strap during a song or have my neck drop when I have my hands off the guitar when singing.

Many of you recommended the rubber washers, which I mentioned I prefer on all my guitars. I'm from the country where Grolsch is made! But only on Les Pauls they slip off at the neck. Seems like I'm the only one having this problem.

coreydm676

The Cosmos
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check stewmac
IMO the price is about double with it should be on those. At $10 per pair USD + conversion, shipping and possibly duty to Canada that's not that great of a deal considering the fender ones are $16 canadian to my door on Amazon:

I know that is a "sale price" but they have been there for weeks. Bought 2 sets a month or so ago for the same price.

anorton

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips!

Now just to be clear: I don't throw my guitar around or anything that's suggested. But in normal non-corona related times I gig a lot and I move around on stage. I just don't want to re-strap during a song or have my neck drop when I have my hands off the guitar when singing.

Many of you recommended the rubber washers, which I mentioned I prefer on all my guitars. I'm from the country where Grolsch is made! But only on Les Pauls they slip off at the neck. Seems like I'm the only one having this problem.
I had the same problem with the rubber washers. I used the Fender and Bonamassa versions, and they popped off. All my leather straps slipped off my LP without the washers, so I bought a set of Schallers in 2012, and it’s been secure since. When I got my 2019 Traditional, I asked my salesperson to throw in the Schaller S locks, which he did. I trust them.

I don’t use strap locks on any of my other guitars. For some reason, straps don’t stay on my LPs. Schallers have been good to me.

rifflord

Reaction score
I use the DiMarzio Clip Lock Strap DD2800BK which is a great system. The strap itself feels super comfortable too

mrweird

Reaction score
Schaller on al my guitars.. Mostly original, some Aliexpress copies

RichBurst59

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I bought my first Les Paul. Now I'm looking for a way to secure my strap without switching the strap buttons or making it esthetically les pleasing. On my Epiphone Les Paul I've got Schallter straplocks, those with the pin at the top. To me it doesn't look great, but it gets the job done.

On my Gibson I put a Fender equivalent of those rubber beer bottle caps, but I'm having the same experience I had when I first tried to do this with Epiphone Les Pauls: they drop off, so that isn't secure. I use these rubber rings on all my other guitars without issue, but it doesn't work on Les Pauls for me.

Do you guys know other ways to secure my strap without replacing the Original buttons or making it look weird? I know that straps with their own locking mechanism exist, but since I'm very tall and have my guitars a bit lower, that's often an issue.
I have 3 or 4 sets of Dunlop brand pick shaped thin plastic straplocks that have a two piece design that has the smaller center piece spins and the oblong hole in both....closes on the strap button with just a 180° turn. Don't know if they are still available though. They don't require any changes to your guitar and they work well. I've made a couple of my own straplocks that resemble a flattened clothes pin ... If you know what a clothespin is....great...if not Google it. I have one other invention that borrows a "slip clip" shape device that can easily be made out of flat plastic lids...it works sort of the way ladies lingerie used to attach the stockings to the panties so they don't slip down. If you use scrap plastic from packaging that has the firmness of a guitar pick it will work really well and you've managed to recycle plastic packaging into something that you don't have to go out and buy that'll protect your one two three $4,000 guitar very well. "Keep on playing SAFE"!!

Soundknight21

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently I bought my first Les Paul. Now I'm looking for a way to secure my strap without switching the strap buttons or making it esthetically les pleasing. On my Epiphone Les Paul I've got Schallter straplocks, those with the pin at the top. To me it doesn't look great, but it gets the job done.

On my Gibson I put a Fender equivalent of those rubber beer bottle caps, but I'm having the same experience I had when I first tried to do this with Epiphone Les Pauls: they drop off, so that isn't secure. I use these rubber rings on all my other guitars without issue, but it doesn't work on Les Pauls for me.

Do you guys know other ways to secure my strap without replacing the Original buttons or making it look weird? I know that straps with their own locking mechanism exist, but since I'm very tall and have my guitars a bit lower, that's often an issue.
Black rubber rings from eBay squish the black leather strap on and you can't really see them.

Latest Threads