How do you straplock your Les Paul?

MSB

Reaction score
schallers with dunlop size screws because the ones that come with them are tiny for older Gibsons.

never had a failure.

I used dunlops for quite a few years w/o an issue, just like the idea of the schallers better.

Ripgut

Reaction score
schallers with dunlop size screws because the ones that come with them are tiny for older Gibsons.

never had a failure.

I used dunlops for quite a few years w/o an issue, just like the idea of the schallers better.
They now come with the button and screw as 1 piece, and you use an allen key. Much better, stronger design.

MSB

Reaction score
They now come with the button and screw as 1 piece, and you use an allen key. Much better, stronger design.
i know they come as one piece now. I'll still take the old design as i can tailor it to my needs. I like options. The only advantage to the new design imo, is the set screw on the strap end part with the longer threads. I'm glad the new ones are working for some, but they could have done much better, imo with their redesign.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
I have 3 sets of Schallers.... in a box.

I couldn’t loctite the threads from backing off so i puttge grolsh locks on all my guitars.

imho, the metal strap locks can sick my duck. I dont need to remember to service my straplock more than my car.

Truth be told if you dont tuck your washer on right it can in theory pop off. That has never happened to me but i read someone here had that issue. I’ve been using them for years and i put a set on my buddys guitar years before mine as a test (cuz he used nothing)
After i had issues more than once and he never did I switched.

people are entitled to use and stand by their choice but I don’t care and i sure as heck ain’t going to buy their new locking nut version
I started using strap locks after I was playing live and moved my guitar around and the strap came off the button. I got Schallers because that's what GC had. The weekend after I put them on the tiny screw pulled out of the guitar and head dived off the stage. So I glued some tooth picks in the holes and they haven't come loose since. I've had the strap lock itself start coming loose but I would just tighten the nut up with my fingers between songs until I get home and use a socket.

But I also have some guitars (that cost a lot more than my Les Paul did) and the strap buttons on those are so big I can barely put a strap on them, and one of the straps I use is fairly worn out. If the strap comes off of them I did something wrong.

Use what you feel comfortable with.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
I use the new Schaller S locks and really like them. Only thing I noticed is that the locking mechanism on the upper horn side seems to get sticky and hard to pull off the strap button occasionally...so I find I need to put a drop of WD-40 into thar mechanism every couple months or so. Not sure why its just tje one on the upper horn that gets sticky....maybe its just the way the strap pulls away from the horn. But for overall safety never worry about the guitar falling off
You’d be better off using some light grease instead of wd40.

sparky2

Reaction score
I DON'T USE STRAP LOCKS

(a limerick)

I don't use strap locks
and I know this seems unorthodox
I don't fling my guitar in the sky
Like Eddie or Steve Vai
Just use quality straps when u rolls and rocks

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
:(

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
The 99 cent Dunlop on the bottom seems good.
I had one lying around for some reason and used it on an old guitar that only had one standard strap button.
It's made from 2 pieces.
I took my guitar out of the case once, and one of the 2 pieces was still in the case.
Fail.
Same here. Briefly had these on one of my guitars and the same thing happened - fell apart after not too long. replaced with rubber washers in 2012 and just recently replaced those as they were drying out and cracking. Had to drink another 4 pack of Grolsch to replace them on 2 guitars. Win win!

Harleytech

Reaction score
I don't use any strap locks at all... But I don't play out either... And I don't swing my guitar around while playing either...
My straps stay on I don't worry about them... But if i was to use any, I would use the rubber washers... JMHO..
YMMV...

coreydm676

The Cosmos
Premium Member
Reaction score
Schaller or Schaller style strap locks always. Every guitar that doesn't have a neck joint mount strap button gets them. I like the way they look and they have always been rock solid. The newer style S-Locks are still good but a lot more expensive. I am at the point where I have enough straps with the actual locks so when I buy a set I am basically only paying for the buttons. For that reason I usually buy the fender branded ones these days as they can be had for around half the price. Quality on the actual locks on the fender is pretty good too so I keep them in a parts drawer in case I ever need them. If anyone knows where to get just the Schaller compatible buttons please let me know. I though I could pull a fast one by buying some Chinese knockoff Schaller ones just for the buttons instead but the buttons didn't fit at all.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Schaller or Schaller style strap locks always. Every guitar that doesn't have a neck joint mount strap button gets them. I like the way they look and they have always been rock solid. The newer style S-Locks are still good but a lot more expensive. I am at the point where I have enough straps with the actual locks so when I buy a set I am basically only paying for the buttons. For that reason I usually buy the fender branded ones these days as they can be had for around half the price. Quality on the actual locks on the fender is pretty good too so I keep them in a parts drawer in case I ever need them. If anyone knows where to get just the Schaller compatible buttons please let me know. I though I could pull a fast one by buying some Chinese knockoff Schaller ones just for the buttons instead but the buttons didn't fit at all.
Check stewmac

I have 3 full sets of Original design Schallers if anyone is interested PM me.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
For my Gibsons, the removable plastic Dunlop circle strap locks. The Standard use to have the bulky metal Dunlop set up, but found those made WAY too much noise, so I went back to the stock pins and just use the plastic set.

My epiphone got Schallers because the stock set didn't allow any type of external strap locks.

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
This is one of those perennial subjective topics...

Like most things relating to guitars and music (and life in general...) there is NO single "right" answer, just personal preference.
:hippie:

For what it's worth, my solid bodies and my old deep-bowl cutaway Ovation all have Schallers -- but mostly because I've been using them for 30 years or more. I don't fling my guitars about and I do give them a quick check from time to time and I've never had a problem with them. I started with strap locks on the Ovation in the late '80s when a bandmate had a bit of a disaster with his acoustic coming adrift and hitting the deck, box first. There was some painful splintering of wood and much angst so thereafter I figured strap locks were a reasonable expense (!).

Initially, it was helpful to have the same system on all my guitars to facilitate swapping straps around; these days, pretty much every guitar has its own strap so this is slightly redundant now but I can't be bothered to change them all back. My acoustics with neck-heel strap buttons have Fender rubber rings and those with end-pin jack sockets (not my favourite design) have leather strap adapters that are specifically large enough to fit over the bigger jack socket end-pin and have larger rubber washers to go with them.

I should make a note of this thread and then I can cut-and-paste the next time this comes up...
:io:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I should make a note of this thread and then I can cut-and-paste the next time this comes up...
:io:
My cut-and-paste would be:

It's not 1984 anymore, I'm not twirling my guitars over my head.
Honestly, I don't believe any kind of lock is needed for MOST guitar designs... Strats, SG, 335, etc....
The Les Paul and vintage V with the button on top of the neck are the exceptions, and for those, rubber washers work just fine.
The only guitar I've ever dropped was my first electric... Korean LP copy, and it had small buttons.
OTOH, my buddy dropped his Ibanez RG a couple of years ago when one of the DiMarzio "strap lock" abortions broke... dropped the butt-end, not the neck-end. It hit the floor before he could catch it. A conventional strap button would not have failed that way.
In fairness to DiMarzio, they replaced the guitar... but imagine if it had been something of real value and not "just an RG" that was easily replaced?

Latest Threads