How do you shop for a PRS?

Garhel

Reaction score
Avoid PRS with the run-of-the-mill / stock: HFS. I bought a beautiful custom 24 "10" top for like $1600 by negotiating from GC as it had a replacement nut.. These HFS pickups are just really bland sounding to me and I returned it rather than dump more money for better pickups like the Tremonti or the ones like the 57/08s which are more toneful..

I agree the 57/08's are fantastic pick-ups, I have them in a couple of PRS, and already lamented their lack of availability as aftermarket pick-ups in another post, but my experience with the HFS has been very different to yours. I've gigged my mid-2000's Custom 24 for a few years now and I've never had an issue with the HFS - powerful and articulate, especially with a bit of crunch. I do have an issue with the VB neck pickup though - I find the bass overpowering and it too easily gets muddy at volume.

To be honest I am just in the process of swapping the pick-ups out in this guitar for some Bareknuckle Mules, which are closer to PAF specs, to try and get the neck tones I'm looking for. For entirely cosmetic reasons the HFS will be replaced as well - I know, how it looks shouldn't be important, but I'm like that - I just can't stand the idea of the pick-ups not matching!!! ;)
But I've already got the HFS earmarked to go into my Ibby RG - I reckon it will just scream in there...

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I bought my PRS via the internet. Of course I could not play it until it arrived.

The workmanship is flawless and so is the feel. The sound is extremely good and I would have to do some careful thinking and trying out several sets of pickups to find a set of pickups for it that would be substantially better than its own stock pickups.

It's an SC245 Employee guitar, made for a PRS employee.

It cost me more than any other small item I've yet bought. I've only paid more for things that have doors and a roof.

I build guitars. Pretty good ones if I do say so myself. I still do not regret buying this PRS. Even discounting everything else, it's still a standard of workmanship I can refer to which is inspiring every time I pick it up.

Gibson simply can't hold a candle to PRS when it comes to consistency of workmanship. While SOME LPs are flawless, and have a great feel and massive tone, if you had 10K to spend on a guitar and had to have a top notch instrument but couldn't try it before you bought it, but it HAD to be great, assured and guaranteed, your only rational choice for buying one before being able to play it and having it meet your expectations would be a high end PRS.

Benguitar

Reaction score
I've owned 3, and currently own 1 custom 24.

I played all of them before I bought them, but on a certain level I'd say PRS's are safe to buy blind because they don't suck. They may or may not be your type of animal but you can't say they suck.

Some have thicker necks, and some have slim necks its just a preference thing.

I've yet to play a PRS (American made) that had bad pickups in it. I replaced my PRS SE's pickups with Seymour Duncan's because I swear by them, but PRS makes a MEAN pickup, easily on par with Duncan's products.

smorgdonkey

Reaction score
All right...you guys aren't giving the man any useful information...so here goes...

How to shop for a PRS:

Get dressed up like this

and go to the guitar shops.

nicklee13

Reaction score
Avoid PRS with the run-of-the-mill / stock: HFS. I bought a beautiful custom 24 "10" top for like $1600 by negotiating from GC as it had a replacement nut.. These HFS pickups are just really bland sounding to me and I returned it rather than dump more money for better pickups like the Tremonti or the ones like the 57/08s which are more toneful..
This is shocking. The list price for a Custom 24 is $2700 (e.g. Sweetwater). Granted it had some issues but $1600? The only thing I ever bought from GC is an inexpensive Seagull acoustic during a 10% off sale and I had no idea there was THAT much wiggle room.

I see there's some discussion about the PRS guitars. That is welcomed too.

Really, how much should I be prepared to pay for a "standard" Custom 24?(I know oxymoron)

EDIT: I just looked up Sweetwater's guitar gallery. It looks like the Custom 24's listed all have the 59/09 pick ups. And that probably the most difficult aspect of picking one out. How am I supposed to know how all the different pick ups sound?

Cygnus

Banned
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree. My #1 guitar, which is '97 CE 24, has the HFS/VB combo, and it is the fattest, most bad assed guitar I've ever heard.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
All right...you guys aren't giving the man any useful information...so here goes...

How to shop for a PRS:

Get dressed up like this

and go to the guitar shops.

If you do that, be sure to introduce yourself. "Hello. My name is "A pimp named Slickback." Not "Slickback", the name is "A pimp named Slickback." You say the whole thing. All four words. I would appreciate it if you address me like that and no other way."

Nethan Paul

Reaction score
Yes, it is difficult to buy guitars without trying them but you can trust FaberUSA’s guitars and their parts. They offer genuine and quality parts from Faber-Germany and their detailed guide and videos will solve all your queries.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
If you live in Houston, it would be worth the 3 1/2 hr. trip to McKinney Texas to check out Guitar Sanctuary.

I think they have the largest collection of PR S guitars in Texas.

You should be able to audition just about every model of PRS available.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
If you live in Houston, it would be worth the 3 1/2 hr. trip to McKinney Texas to check out Guitar Sanctuary.

I think they have the largest collection of PR S guitars in Texas.

You should be able to audition just about every model of PRS available.
Tone Shop Guitars in Addison has a good PRS Selection. As does Guitar Maverick in Keller.

Guitar Sanctuary tends to only stock the high end stuff. They others seem to have a range of them.

Source: I live in Dallas. Been to all 3 spots several times.

Nethan Paul

Reaction score
Nice 6 year Necro. Do you work for Faber? I think I have only read Faber spam from you. :)
Nope, I don't work for them but I have no problem suggesting their store because It feels really great when you get something you have been trying so hard and I got that through Larry Corsa website. Got my Faber Tone-Lock Bridge cheap, why wouldn't I talk about them.

PierM

Reaction score
Nope, I don't work for them but I have no problem suggesting their store because It feels really great when you get something you have been trying so hard and I got that through Larry Corsa website. Got my Faber Tone-Lock Bridge cheap, why wouldn't I talk about them.
Really? LOL!

You answered my same post twice, just to re-spam Faber again.

Sir, you’re a genius! :rofl: :rofl:

8EE33BB1-AEF0-47A1-9255-7240A536AE59.jpeg

Latest Threads